just ordered dutas - new regimen -please suggest

techprof

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Dear all:
you can view my pictures in the link attached with my signature. I have used finasteride (generic for 6 months) and proscar (merck) for 6 months. I have probably moved from Norwood 6 to Norwood 5 in 18 months with xandrox 5,15 and proscar.
I plan to do the following.
0.5 mg dutas (Dr. Reddy's from united pharmacies) Monday & Friday.
1.25 finasteride everyday.
Reasons for this dosage
1. If dutas is not genuine, I won't lose much.
2. I get an average of 0.14 mg every day. 0.1 mg dutas is proved better than 5 mg finasteride.
3. dutas has a slow half-life. so continuous protection against dht.

I hope this won't give sides compared to 0.5 mg everyday.

if i get no sides i will drop finasteride and move to genuine avodart. i can get prescription only for finasteride (merck) or avodart. I can't get both and I don't want to bother my doctor so much.

your comments/suggestions are welcome

techprof

Experienced Member
Reaction score
the link is in my signature. yes idaosis is right. that is the link.

aplunk, propecia probably worked for me. back has thickened (just above the typical donor areas) and i have some baby hairs all over the scalp (except my crown which is bald). I don't lose any more hairs. I used to lose may be 50 or 100 in showers before proscar. Now I don't lose much in shower (may be 2 or 3 in showers or comb) once in a while.

I never noticed any shedding with proscar. The quality of existings hairs (sides and the top and back ) has improved. So proscar works for me (no significant regrowth though). I probably started too late. Also, the results I have could be just because of xandrox 5 or 15.

PS. Between 1999 and 2001 I went from NW4 to NW2 or so just using rogaine. The results receded in 2002 and I stopped rogaine in 2003 because of irritation. I started the treatments back in 2004 July.

Frankly, I am afraid of hair transplant and I live in a small university town in the US and I don't have any good hair transplant doctors within 300 miles radius.

I have recently added in proxiphen-N and spin trap C. I will give it 6 months time with xandrox 5 and 15 and dutas & finasteride.

Jacky81

Established Member
Reaction score
@techprof: in your case i would take .5 dutasteride EVERY day. Don't waste your time with finasteride with that Norwood.

Jacky81

Established Member
Reaction score
Aplunk1 said:
Jacky, how's the dutasteride working?
Very good! I don't see any more hairs in the wash-bowl. In my last year with finasteride i saw there constantly about 1-4 due to combing and styling....
I cannot see any thickening already but i think this could take some more months. But i think the complete stop of loss is now reached (again, cause i had it with finasteride years 1-3).

techprof

Experienced Member
Reaction score
jacky,
thanks for the note. I am trying dutasteride at twice a week with finasteride to see how I react (mental fog). I got tiredness, mental fog when I started finasteride. It went away in one month. So, I do ok with dutasteride, I will switch to 0.5 or more dutasteride per day.

Jacky81

Established Member
Reaction score
techprof, that is your decision but believe me - dutasteride works OTHER than finasteride. I think dutasteride is better for me than finasteride considering the compatibility.
It is both chemical. I have problems with chemicals.

My skin is now better than it was with finasteride. finasteride made it dry and now i do not have neurodermatitis any more! Strange but it is so.

Steve4263

Established Member
Reaction score
I finally got the link to work. I saw quite a bit of improvement in your hair. Very good improvement since July 17th 2005. From where you were to where you are now is very good improvement. Hope your results are good with dutasteride. Keep us informed.

techprof

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Steve:
thanks for the message. I thought the same (some improvement compared to July). I will keep everyone updated.
I was a great responder first time with minoxidil. Second time around many follicles are probably miniaturized. I am giving a shot at dutasteride, proxiphen, xandrox combo.

PS. Do you think I am still a NW5 or perhaps a high NW4. (I am perhaps over ambitious).
techprof.

Aplunk1

Reaction score
dutasteride seems to be working better for me than finasteride did. It seems to have stopped the shedding, and my skin also looks more clear and lively.

powersam

Reaction score
different strokes for different folks

dutasteride made my skin very dry, while propecia is doing ok.

IDOASIS

Established Member
Reaction score
PowerSam said:
different strokes for different folks

dutasteride made my skin very dry, while propecia is doing ok.

PowerSam, how is spironolactone workimg for you??

powersam

Reaction score
who knows? i'm using a few different treatments so cant really say which is doing which. i can say however that since adding fluridil my shedding has gone to zero.

googler

Established Member
Reaction score
I mean this in the nicest possible way, lose the combover. It just draws more attention to what you are trying to cover up. Also, on a wet or windy day it will look ridiculous dangling over your ear.

techprof

Experienced Member
Reaction score
googler, i lost the combover. perhaps you are still looking at my july 2005 pictures. check my latest pictures from jan 06.