just noticed obvious success after 21 months

jambri

Established Member
Reaction score
31 years old now, first noticed hairloss about 3 years ago, can't remember... it was about six months before I joined this board. To begin with I just noticed hairloss on one temple, but when I mentioned this to others they seemed to think my only problem was diffuse thinning! (something I hadn't noticed at all).

Over the coming months though, my diffuse thinning became quite obvious even to me, and then this eventually made me more anxious, sickened and depressed than the temple loss. I dithered for a further year, trying things like Nourkrin (which by the way, I think actually DID help some of the diffuse thinning actually)... but it wasn't until Jan 2007 that I jumped on Propecia and minoxidil. I couldn't seem to keep up with the minoxidil, too much hassle, so I eventually gave this up after a maybe six months. I expected to see a terrible shed, as I was led to believe would happen from stopping minoxidil, but didn't lose any hair at all. I stayed on Propecia the whole time, ocasionally running out and sometimes missing four or five days, but I think the key thing seems to be consistency.

So, from January 2007 until now, the progress has been incredibly slow, slow, slow... there have been ups and downs for sure, although my hair has never really been any worse than my starting point. Every time I wash my hair, I still lose some 5-10 hairs, some thin, some thick. At times I've thought "this seems to be working", and at other times I've thought "nothing is happening, this is rubbish". I have spent way too much time over the past 21 months looking into the mirror at my scalp showing through my hair... and feeling helpless and a touch depressed. As little as two months ago, I would have said my progress in general had been very modest, very minor. At the 18-month mark I was still frustrated but I had come to accept my hair would never be perfect again.

However, in the past few months, and especially the past two weeks (just had my hair cut), I've noticed that my diffuse thinning is COMPLETELY gone. My scalp cannot be seen from any angle except where the hair parts naturally. Hair is looking really healthy, silky smooth and strong. I definitely wasn't anticipating gains this late in the day at all. So, suddenly it seems like I have all my hair back. I would now rate my success as OBVIOUS as opposed to modest. Hopefully it's encouraging to think that obvious gains can be noticed at 21 months and maybe even later.

Good luck to you all!

PersonGuy

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey Man thanks for the post. It's always good to hear people's success stories. Definitely gives the rest of us hope. It's crazy to think there are people who stop after 6 months b/c they don't see results.

Good luck with future gains/maintenance, and again thanks for the post.

jambri

Established Member
Reaction score
I agree, really silly to stop after 6 months. It has taken me nearly two years to finally be absolutely convinced by Propecia.

Something else I didn't mention in my post above: for the first 12-16 months, I would say that each time I washed my hair in that period I lost 20-30 hairs, including lots of thin ones, but lots of thick ones too. This has slowly reduced to around 5-10 hairs on each wash, probably closer to 5 or so in the past month.

As I say, the progress has been incredibly slow overall... I suppose I assumed all that was going on was maintenance... but now I realise it was just insanely slow progress. I've heard some other people say after a long time on propecia they seem to get their hair back overnight. Well, that's how I feel...

Another point to think about is that when I've spoken to those in the medical profession, and not relied on posts in this board, I've been told that patients often see continuous ongoing improvement with Propecia, even after many years.

Sid75

Reaction score
Congratulations and thanks for posting. How bad would you say your diffuse thinning was at its worst?

icdalite

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey Jambri, you reckon the slowness can be attributed to stopping minoxidil use after the first 6 months ?

jambri

Established Member
Reaction score
Yes, regarding the minoxidil that is possible I suppose.

At its worst, my diffuse thinning was visible no matter which way I combed my hair. It was never absolutely terrible, but bad enough. Nothing I could do would cover it. If I part my hair now, it's a fine line (normal), whereas before it was around half a centimetre, diffuse, maybe a bit wider.

Epiphany

Reaction score
Hey Jambri, I think I'm on a similar path to you. Been on finasteride for 18 months and it's been ups and downs just like you said, with some days feeling "this is working" then other days not. Only difference is I only started on finasteride and nothing else, which made me wonder if I was doing too little. But like you said, my hair is no worse than when I started out.

These little hairs at my hairline just haven't budged. They haven't grown, but they haven't fallen out either! Not sure what's going on there, but the next 4 months will be crucial to me in deciding whether all the patience has been worth it...

Cheers, and congrats.

G

Inspirational story, thank you so much for sharing it with us.

raj47

Established Member
Reaction score
yes i am also on 15 months of finasteride and dutas as you said up and down in my progress will see at 20 months later with pictures .
still shedding with 5-20 hairs daily .
slighlty improved from diffuse all over (diffuse like NW5)
good dark hair can be seen everywhere at 15 month now..
no more diffuse at my head now .

thanks for sharing with us.....cheers........buddy...

icdalite

Established Member
Reaction score
yeah his story was the reason I dropped minoxidil and stayed on finasteride. The only difference, he gave up minoxidil after 6 mths and I gave up after 1 year.

I am hitting the 15th month mark on finasteride and no improvements yet, however, the constant shedding from minoxidil stopped only 5 months ago. So I gues it will be atleast another year or so before I see any improvement.

JayC2

Established Member
Reaction score
this thread gives me hope. im on 17 month and the top of my head is definitley thinner and ive gone from a NW1 to an NW1.75 in this time (on the big 3). Strange thing though i should get natural male pattern baldness signs (all male family bald by 35) mum suffered terrible difuse thinning, stress, Iron deficiency etc....yet my temples gone back but i dont have the classic thinning on the spot on the crown...ive got a strip all down the centre of my head where its thinned hugely....heres hoping for 21 month mark. Anyone else had similar success...........

jambri

Established Member
Reaction score
Five year update!

Still on finasteride, hair around NW1. Funny how things change. I would now say I have a lot of hair for someone my age (35) ... More than any of my friends, more than almost anyone I meet who is my age. I never think about hairloss anymore.

Good luck to you all.

mashang

Established Member
Reaction score
congrats on your success :)

do you have any before and after pictures ?

WillNotLetItHappen

Established Member
Reaction score
This is so motivating!! Thanks for taking the effort of coming back and sharing!

hairhoper

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the post, this is encouraging. I've hit the 11 month mark and feels like my progress has stalled, but this gives me hope it may pick up again.

Look forward to seeing pics!