Just Joined & Questions about Minoxidil

Hamartoma

Reaction score
Just joined and having trouble searching the archives. So, I'd like to ask
a simple question about Minoxidil.

I'm 48 with thick curly hair. Started noticing some vewry slight forhead thinning about 10 years ago but no shedding. Now I see some more receeding on the forehead and slightly at the temples. My vertex and crown are fine. I have virtually no sheeding at all right now: in fact I rarely notice any hairs on the pillow or in the tub drain. Nonetheless, my dermatologist says I'm an early Norwood 2 and precribed Proscar. I've just started using Nizoral every other day and take arginine and ginkgo daily.

The question is whether to add 5% minoxidil right now or wait and see if the Prosar / Nizoral works for 6 months. Since I'm a bit older than some of the other posters, my potential to stabilize or regrow hair may be somewhat different.

I'd be interested in your thoughts.

Thanks

too bald too furious

Experienced Member
Reaction score
With all due respect, Id seriously not even bother if I was 48 and just a NW2.
But if you seriously wanna do something, Proscar cut into 1/5th with Nizoral will maintain your hair for a few years. You can keep minoxidil for later. :)

ACT10Npack

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I have to first say that your one of the luckiest men to be at 48 years old and be at a norwood 2. Stay on Proscar for now and if you see that your still lossing hair after 1 year then I would jump on to Minoxidil. But at this point you dont know if Proscar will work. Now, are you taking 5MG of Proscar or are you cutting it in to 1/4 to be 1.25MG?

But if your at 48 years old and been lossing hair for 10 years and your at norwood 2. Then I really don't think no product will really work at that point because DHT does not seem to be kicking your. I think it's just at your age and older age will cause hair loss. I think if your don't taking anything you will be at a norwood 3 when your 80 years old. But stay on the treatment now and see how that goes for you.

Hamartoma

Reaction score
To clarify, I've started by dividing up the Proscar into small pieces, roughly about 1mg for each dose. It's kinda hard to cut the pill into fifths.

Yes, when I asked my dermatolgist whether its male pattern baldness vs. age-related thinning, she said "it's essentially the same thing''. And there is a history of mild male pattern baldness in my family. So, she recommended this regimen, including a suggestion of adding the minoxidil.

Hey, I'll start needing the Proscar soon enough to keep the flow going strong....

Again thanks again.