Just how smart is it to run your system under hot water in the shower?

SD1984

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm curious how many of you guys do it? We all know that heat is a system's kryptonite and I've also read from some wearers that if you can avoid it, then do so, and only wet your system on the 1-2 days a week you wash it. I just can't imagine that hot steamy showers while continuing to run your head under hot water can still be a thing when you are a hair system wearer. (I am not yet wearing but am looking to learn)

new2this

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hot showers are harder on the bond than on the hair but not great for either. The risk of tangling is too high from just letting it soak like that. I do run my hair under warm/hot water a few times a week but I always am combing through it when its under the water. Other days I will use a spray bottle to wet and style. I have found that to be more gentle. Sometimes I throw on a shower cap when I shower to really preserve the style or the bond. On days where I am not wearing , usually 2-3 days every few weeks, I let it rip on the hottest shower I can handle. u are right, I do miss it every day but its not great for natural hair either to be rinsed with burning hot water every day

SD1984

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
On days where I am not wearing , usually 2-3 days every few weeks, I let it rip on the hottest shower I can handle.

What do you mean ? You just don't wear it some days every couple of weeks?

new2this

My Regimen
Reaction score
What do you mean ? You just don't wear it some days every couple of weeks?
Yea I do my own maintenance so usually I take it off, clean and wash it and then let it fully dry for at least 24 hours to reattach so I give my skin some time off from the adhesives. In the past re applying to quickly has caused a buildup of irritation with certain glues.

I also live with my family who knows about it, work from home on a job with very little Zoom (sometimes I throw on a beanie) and my girlfriend knows as well. I understand that isn’t a possibility for everyone

Hair2019

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I find lukewarm water best for washing my hair system (sometimes gently with shampoo too).

jimlad

Established Member
Reaction score
Shower cap for the majority of the showering time, then lukewarm water rinse for 30 seconds or so. Unless it's a wash day of course, but don't need to do that too often.
On a side note, one of the reasons I wear a UTS is because it feels normal when I have a shower! My first system was a 0.05 and it felt like showering with a hat on! Sometimes you've just got to do what feels right...

Fanjeera

Reaction score
But water will evaporate and then it's dry again. I'm not sure, if it affects the bond at all. Doesn't do anything to the hair either imo.

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
A super-hot shower isn't good for your skin, and it isn't good for your hair system.

matt0135

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I mean it depends on how hot we’re talking lol. Personally I used to wet my system hair in the shower but now I dont, but im not worried if i do. The reason why is mainly the fact that the hair gets wet and takes long to dry, and then i have to restyle. Whereas now I just wash my natural hair or at least wet the natural hair in the shower every day or so and then that dries fast compared (I usually do a fade cut style and my hair is on the thinner side)

I find the water in general can affect the bond, but once dry the bond returns to normal strength. I used to use glue for my hairline but have since been able to achieve the same effect more or less with walker signature tape. Just placed a 1-2mm or so behind the hairline (you will have to experiment with this)
I also find if you re attach on a weekly basis most of the skin issues will resolve. I do find my scalp is dry and flaky at times but i just put a little moisturizer and usually works good. (Not too much or else fan impair the bond when re attaching)