Just got it done.

Graft Recipient

Reaction score
Today I recieved my first (and only) surgery of 1200+ grafts to repair a mildly receeding hairline & temporals (Level II). The procedure went well and am looking forward to seeing results. I've been on Propecia for 10 months and plan to stay on it, so hopefully I am done with this battle.

I'd be happy to answer any questions about my experiences thus far. 8O

sal1

Reaction score
Hi G.R.

What are your concerns about a shed phase. I also have mild temporal loss but its not horrible. I've had some crown work done awhile back and was left with a thick scar at donar area. The result was not what I hoped for as far as density either. That was several years back though.

I found a Dr. that said he can make my original scar much thinner as well as do frontal work that would be undetectable becasue the procedure has changed so much over the years. I'm concerned with losing existing hair due to shock.

What were your concerns about scars, "punch marks" and shedding prior to getting your procedure and what are they now.

Thanks G.R.

Graft Recipient

Reaction score
I am getting some shock fallout but it's not too bad with Graftcyte. It's well worth the $300 extra.

From what I understand, the procedure has improved vastly over the years. "Punch marks" are a thing of the past. I can see the whiskers of the new grafts and you cannot tell that they have been surgically implanted. Besides being short, the hair looks 100% natural...and it's only been 8 days since my surgery.

A good doctor will leave a small scar. Leave the sutures in for 10 days and maybe that will help. Use Iamin gel that comes with Graftcyte and Merderma (store bought topical) is good too. I really don't know what status is of my donor scar yet but it appears hopeful.

Have you considered trying Propecia? Maybe that will help to preserve what you have and improve the quality of existing hair. There are a lot of scary things written about it in these forums but for most people, it works well. Otherwise, you will probably need a lifetime of surgeries.

Good luck.

G

I recommend my hair transplant Doctor without reservation. He is worth a trip here to san diego and the weather is nice too!

Brucelee

nomad

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey Bruce Lee,

Who is the hair Doctor you used in San Diego? My dad and I wil most likely go in for a transplant within a year from now if the topical and finasteride does not cut it. I am in So.Cal. too, so it would be nice to find a Doctor local. Is he pretty noteworthy? I don't want any bad scars and things of that nature. Does he have a site where you can see patient photos?

G

Dr. Jim DeYarman. He is located in La Jolla and did a very fine job. Scar looks like it will be minimal. Been 4 months and hair is coming in very nicely. 800 grafts about 1800 hairs.

Let me know if you need more info.

Brucelee

G

Dr. Jim DeYarman. He is located in La Jolla and did a very fine job. Scar looks like it will be minimal. Been 4 months and hair is coming in very nicely. 800 grafts about 1800 hairs.

Let me know if you need more info.

Brucelee

nomad

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey, thanks Bruce. I am just kind of doing a hunting and gathering of hair transplant docs in the area.

salazam

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi G.R

i also am a Norwood 2 and considering a transplant did you completely decide to fill your temples and restore everyt completely or did you anticipate futher loss and how did it cost. I have sought consulations and from what i get is that the really don't want to mess around with young guys with early male pattern baldness who was your Hair transplant Doctor. Please let me konw coz i am seriously considering.

G

I am 53 and this is my third hair transplant spread over 15 yr time span. I think each case is different and only an evaluation can answer you questions. Reputable hair transplant docs will do the eveluation at no cost so I suggest you have one done and see what he/she says.

Brucelee

PS-all my hair transplant were in the front and I use minoxidil and finasteride to deal with the rest of my hair issues. So far, no need to do anything hair transplant in the crown area.