Just got a consultation & quote, is this reasonable?

HairLoss916

Reaction score
Update.

I have been trying to talk to Dr Umar to schedule an appointment but it has been very hard to get a hold of him... his secretary has been trying to get me to email him instead but I want to talk to him in person for a few minutes before I schedule a consultation appointment. I don't think that's too much to ask since I'm flying nearly 400 miles there. I'm going to try to call back multiple times today.

As far as getting a hair transplant at NW1.... why not? I'm trying to catch this early so I never end up looking bald. I don't want to look bald then get a hair transplant. I'm not a model (obviously) or anything but I still need to look good.

Boondock

Reaction score
HairLoss916 said:
As far as getting a hair transplant at NW1.... why not?

1. You don't know whether you'll even progress beyond a 'mature hairline'.

2. If you do, you'll need to play catch-up with yourself for a long time

3. Finasteride and other treatments could hold your ground fine at this stage

4. Realistically, not many people notice the difference between NW1 and NW2 anyway

5. Very few hair transplant docs would be prepared to operate on a NW1

6. Those that would be willing to operate are likely unethical and, hence, going to give you a bad hair transplant

Seriously, dude, there is no point in getting an hair transplant at NW1. It's like a 17-year-old who's eaten junk food for a week getting on statins.

HairLoss916

Reaction score
Boondock said:
HairLoss916 said:
As far as getting a hair transplant at NW1.... why not?

1. You don't know whether you'll even progress beyond a 'mature hairline'.

2. If you do, you'll need to play catch-up with yourself for a long time

3. Finasteride and other treatments could hold your ground fine at this stage

4. Realistically, not many people notice the difference between NW1 and NW2 anyway

5. Very few hair transplant docs would be prepared to operate on a NW1

6. Those that would be willing to operate are likely unethical and, hence, going to give you a bad hair transplant

Seriously, dude, there is no point in getting an hair transplant at NW1. It's like a 17-year-old who's eaten junk food for a week getting on statins.

Well as I mentioned in my OP my hair is thinning on the top so I know eventually my hair will thin out to the point of baldness if I don't do anything about it. The doctor I went to on Monday looked at my hair and said in about 10 years I will be at NW4. I know that I will need more treatments a few years down the road and I am perfectly fine with that. I'll keep getting hair transplant until my hair stops thinning.

I know there are treatments to stop further thinning but you have to take that stuff for the rest of your life and if you stop taking it you hair falls out immediately. I don't want to deal with that.

NW1 is versus a juvenile hairline is noticeable. I have very superficial friends and they have commented on my hairline. Plus you know how people are these days everything is about looks so it messes up my confidence losing my juvenile hairline.

Nene

Reaction score
How old are you? You have to realize that you only have a finite number of donor hairs. If you use them up to give yourself a norwood 1, then what will you do when you're a norwood 4? You won't have enough donor hair to fill up the region. You have to wait until your hair loss has progressed so that you can use your donor grafts conservatively. Otherwise you'll end up with a perfect hairline and no hair anywhere else! Then you'll be in a much worse situation.

HairLoss916

Reaction score
Nene said:
How old are you? You have to realize that you only have a finite number of donor hairs. If you use them up to give yourself a norwood 1, then what will you do when you're a norwood 4? You won't have enough donor hair to fill up the region. You have to wait until your hair loss has progressed so that you can use your donor grafts conservatively. Otherwise you'll end up with a perfect hairline and no hair anywhere else! Then you'll be in a much worse situation.

Well I need relatively small number of grafts to clean up the hairline only. The doctor on Monday told me 400, I am not sure what doctor Umar's number will be but I can't imagine it being too far off. An additional 400 to thicken out the middle.

I see people on here getting transplants for over 4000 grafts, so I think I still have quite a bit of hair to donate if I get this hair transplant done correct?

Nene

Reaction score
Yes, if you only use 400 you should have plenty left over, but if you go norwood 6, you will need every one of those grafts.

HairLoss916

Reaction score
Geez Dr Umar is hard to reach... two days in a row I tried to get a hold of him and his secretary said he would call back/email me and hasn't yet...

Boondock

Reaction score
HairLoss916 said:
I finally got a appointment with Dr Umar next friday. I'll update you guys after I see him.

Good stuff. Let us know how you get along. Umar has a pretty decent rep so at least you're in good hands.

HairLoss916

Reaction score
In case you guys want to see what my hair looks like right now (56k warning):

hair1.jpg

hair2q.jpg

hair3q.jpg

hair4n.jpg

You can see how my temples have receeded slightly and I have a slight V pattern on top. Also thining in the crown/middle area. Luckily right now you can't tell im thin in the middle unless you look really close under a bright light.

Now you see why I want stop it early while I have a full head of hair. I'm no where near bald yet and I want to keep it that way.

s.a.f

Reaction score
WTF!!!! NO surgeon in their right mind will agree to perform a hair transplant on you! Just stick to treatments all you need is a few % improvements. This is the equivilent of someone who is 5lbs overweight resorting to Liposuction.

Nene

Reaction score
You have way too much hair to even consider a transplant, I coulnd't really see your hairline but it looks fine. Maybe you have very slight thinning in the crown, hardly noticeable. What you really need is some rogaine and/or propecia if you want to thicken your hair. Any doctor willing to perform surgery on you is completely unethical.

Reaction score
Yo, you are good! What surgeons did you go to get estimates from? Seriously....from your pictures, you seem to be African-American, is that correct? The reason I ask is because if so, I am too and I went to reputable surgeons for consultations; point being, I am in worse shape than you are and they turned me down. Irrespective of your race, you are in good shape and I believe that if anyone agreed to operate on you, they are pretty much suspect. These guys are giving you good advice. Do an online consultation with Dr. Feller (or better yet visit him while you are in NY) and see what he has to say about your hair loss and the prospect of operating on you at least; you have no visible hair loss and you are right about your friends being superficial if they see anything, but that is solely predicated on your pics, couldn't really see your hairline; however, it did look relatively straight.

My 2 cents man, don't think you should do it yet; if you haven't tried treatments then that is even more reason to suspend getting an hair transplant.

Also, if you do get an hair transplant, you BETTER get FUE if you intend on wearing your hair at that length; I guess Feller, Umar, Shapiro, or Cole would be top choices from what I have heard as I haven't gotten one yet. Anyone telling you that a strip scar at that length will not be noticeable is SUSPECT; especially if you want whatever you have done to withstand the scrutiny of your friends, but that shouldn't be the primary reason while you are getting one in the first place, how do YOU feel about your loss or lack thereof?

PEACE!