Just Don’t Know If I Should Hop On finasteride (pics)

isopropyl

My Regimen
Reaction score
Simple. I don’t know if I should hop on. I’m 24 next month, had a shed about 6 months ago, hair for sure just seems thinner and less healthy overall - and hairline has 100% moved back.

The reason I hesitate to start is, once I start, I simply cannot stop. I do not know if I need finasteride right now and if I take it for the next 5 years, I cannot come off out of fear I’d lose everything and be at the point where my hair should be had I never taken finasteride.

ALSO, hard to tell if I have thinning on the scalp as I have long hair. Scalp can be seen at the hairline through the hairs present, and when wet, scalp can be seen from top/center
Also, hair is curly, so I think the scalp is viewable when wet because that’s how curly hair grows?
thoughts? Should I start?

Imgur album: https://imgur.com/a/yALvrMn

baldcel503

My Regimen
Reaction score
>The reason I hesitate to start is, once I start, I simply cannot stop. I do not know if I need finasteride right now and if I take it for the next 5 years, I cannot come off out of fear I’d lose everything and be at the point where my hair should be had I never taken finasteride.

That's not how finasteride works, you might be thinking of minoxidil.

isopropyl

My Regimen
Reaction score
>The reason I hesitate to start is, once I start, I simply cannot stop. I do not know if I need finasteride right now and if I take it for the next 5 years, I cannot come off out of fear I’d lose everything and be at the point where my hair should be had I never taken finasteride.

That's not how finasteride works, you might be thinking of minoxidil.
Are you sure? I did extensive research and came to comprehend the idea that if you stop finasteride, your hair will be where it should be had you never started finasteride, not to where it was before you started finasteride. Correct me if I’m wrong.

Baldingdane

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Are you sure? I did extensive research and came to comprehend the idea that if you stop finasteride, your hair will be where it should be had you never started finasteride, not to where it was before you started finasteride. Correct me if I’m wrong.
The balding process will start again, and your hair will start thinning again. But it won't "turbo" thin all of the hairs that wasn't affected in those 5 years.

Baldingdane

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
This is correct
Yeah, it's kind of common sense. You are blocking the hormone (DHT) which causes damage to your hair follicels when you take finasteride. So obviously, when you stop taking finasteride, the process will start again and DHT is going to start attacking you follicels again from the standpoint you are at. (That's why it its recommended to start finasteride as early as possible).

Unacknowledged

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah, it's kind of common sense. You are blocking the hormone (DHT) which causes damage to your hair follicels when you take finasteride. So obviously, when you stop taking finasteride, the process will start again and DHT is going to start attacking you follicels again from the standpoint you are at. (That's why it its recommended to start finasteride as early as possible).

I know. But i understand the confusion for people because of minoxidil.