Just curious...

gt1229

Reaction score
I've read from some of your posts that while Saw Palmetto inhibits a certain form of DHT, that doesn't include the kind that affects the hair follicles. Only finasteride can do that.

Can someone explain why then Saw Palmetto is as effective as Proscar, which is basically 5mg of finasteride and used to treat BPH? Does finasteride block both kinds of DHT whereas SP only blocks the kind affecting the prostate?

Cassin

Reaction score
gt1229 said:
I've read from some of your posts that while Saw Palmetto inhibits a certain form of DHT, that doesn't include the kind that affects the hair follicles. Only finasteride can do that.

Can someone explain why then Saw Palmetto is as effective as Proscar, which is basically 5mg of finasteride and used to treat BPH? Does finasteride block both kinds of DHT whereas SP only blocks the kind affecting the prostate?

No one knows for sure is SP does this.

G

gt1229 said:

SP is not very well researched and understood from the perspective of fighting male pattern baldness (a bit more so in the BPH area).

So, it is all just theory but the theory holds that SP does not have much impact on the 5alpha reductase that does our hair in. It MAY have more of an inpact on the other (types 1 and 2 which I cannot recall which one this AM--too early I guess).
Dr. Pickard speaks to this issue on http://www.skinbiology.com.