just curious... for all the regular lifters here...

how much do you bench (8+ REPs)

• 135-155

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 195-225

• 235-255

• 265-285

• 295-315

• 315 + wow you're fuckin strong! @_@

• under 135

• Total voters

pleasehelpme

Established Member
Reaction score
what are the lifts that you do (i.e. bench, squat, deadlift, military press etc...) in your routine? how many sets+reps each?

also what is the fastest / most effective way to get stronger while burning fat by LIFTING? (please don't say running haha)

also i am currently having an issue with slightly unproportional muscles such as my pecs and abs. anyway to fix this?

also what is the best method to up your bench?

thanks!

ix

Established Member
Reaction score
these threads suck because no one is going to be honest. at the moment though i do 4 sets of 5 or 6 reps with 220 pounds when i bench.

best way to bench is to constantly add 5 to 10 pounds when you can do at least 8 reps at the weight you're currently doing. and despite what everyone says. if you only weigh so much, it'll be hard to lift more than a certain limit. right now i currently bench 220 .and i'm stuck there. about the abs, etc.. you have to eat right. no way around it. also do crunches, not situps. i am very cut right now. and i did it by cutting out fattening foods and exercising 5 days a week. about your legs,...don't just do the treadmill.. your legs will become toothpicks. use squat machines. by the way.. when you bench..use the smith machine ..it helps a lot when you're trying to lift more weight

pleasehelpme

Established Member
Reaction score
damn 220rep thats nice!
hmm really? i never liked the smith machine because using that means that i'm getting some assistance.

i do 165 6 reps right now but when i used the smith bench i did 185 5 times. it feels as if it takes off around 10 lbs. is this accurate?

yeah squatting is important.. damn i dont run for sh*t though since my endurance during cardio is terrible!

ix

Established Member
Reaction score
i have friends to spot me if i need it. but if you're alone..you should use the smith machine if increasing weight. the extra help the smith machine gives you will make you stronger. the smith machine reduces like 20 pounds..because the weight of the bar is different then a free weight bar. try the stepper..it's actually a really good alternative to build leg muscles and burn fat..and you don't really need as much endurance as running on a treadmill

ix

Established Member
Reaction score
http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html

the link above is a great site. it tells you a lot of exercises for certain body parts and it shows a video clip of how to do it. also go to bodybuilding.com. that site has a lot of good info. also. hope this helps

googler

Established Member
Reaction score
Ever since I dislocated and broke my shoulder mountain biking 3 years ago I just can't bench anymore without severe pain in my shoulder. I envy you guys.

Odelay

Established Member
Reaction score
I go low weight high reps because I have no desire to bulk up to the point where it hurts my flexibility for sports and other activities where being flexible helps. Back when I was in high school though, I was doing about 170 on bench, but I could only a few reps.

For crunches I found that is best to do them either on your bed or on a couch, it really helps your back and it's easy to do while you're watching tv.

gonna_win

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I have never even touched a bench press.

Slartibartfast

Reaction score
ix said:
...best way to bench is to constantly add 5 to 10 pounds when you can do at least 8 reps at the weight you're currently doing.
This is exactly what I do. At the moment I'm doing 2 sets of 6 reps at 242lbs - the weights are sold in kilos over here, hence the odd amount. For military press I do 3 sets, but I recently upped the weight to 187lbs so I'm down to just 4 or 5 reps for now. The exercise I'm happiest with are my arm-curls - 2 sets of 7 to 8 reps at 86lbs per arm, this one does leave me with some heavy duty calluses though.

Slarti

not me!

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Using the smith machine when you are alone is a good point but it can add 20+ lbs to your bench weight. Youre only cheating yourself, really, if you use it all that time. If I am working out alone I won't hesitate to ask someone for a spot.

pleasehelpme

Established Member
Reaction score
social_drinker said:
Using the smith machine when you are alone is a good point but it can add 20+ lbs to your bench weight. Youre only cheating yourself, really, if you use it all that time. If I am working out alone I won't hesitate to ask someone for a spot.

yeah that's why i don't use it. hey social how have things been with the dermatch and hows the hair regrowth after that hair transplant you had a while back? hope everything is well.

peace

G

Sorry, I thought you meant any regular shop-lifters here.

wrong thread.

not me!

Experienced Member
Reaction score
My hair transplant is growing in brilliantly. I am at about month 8 so Its basically just thickening up as time goes by. I still use the dermatch on my crown with some Toppik sprinkled in for the ultimate "naturalnes" that can be mustered. All-in-all im satisfied :D.

ix

Established Member
Reaction score
how old are you? aren't you young for a hair transplant? how much did it cost and where'd you get it done? and finally how noticible is the scar?

not me!

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I was 25 (almost 26) when I had my hair transplant done this past year. I was fast approaching a NW4 so I (and my physician) felt that I was advanced enough to warrant the work. I buzz the back and sides of my head with a #2 guard in a "high-and-tight" and the scar is not noticeable with that looking straight-on. I asked my roommate to look for it last time I got a hair cut to that length and she looked forever. Finally, under a bright light with my head tilted down she said she could see a faint line. I can damn sure live with that.

ix

Established Member
Reaction score
i'm surprised they agreed to give you a hair transplant. at 25,..were you that bad that they didn't turn you down? also. how'd you manage to go to work, etc..the months after getting the hair transplant? wasn't it noticble..i mean they had to shave your head a little right? wasn't it all red? sorry for all the questions..but thanks for the responses. i remember a picture of your hair situation. don't remember if you said it was before or after the hair transplant,..but i'd be worried losing the hair around the transplanted hairs if your hair wasn't that bad when you got the hair transplant

not me!

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Well, like I said I was approaching a NW4 with severe temporal recession and a very thin crown. That is pretty bad for a 25 year old. I see guys that post pictures and say that they are a Norwood 3 or 4 and they are nowhere NEAR as bad as I was.

As far as returning to work, I just wore a ballcap and took some precautions the week after I had it done. I had no swelling and very little redness. What redness I did have had dissipated in about 4 days.

Also, my physician did not shave the recipient area. I had only the hairline and forelock done so there wasn't much to shave anyway! I left the crown and top of my head alone for now to see what medications can do for me. I have to say that so far they have done very well.

I won't say publicly who my physician was because I am pretty sure HairLossTalk.com has rules against that but if you want to see more of my pictures I can send them via IM.