Just curiosity

Deaner

Reaction score
I was just wondering how wildly hair density can vary, honestly. You see some guys with the thickest, puffiest heads of hair with unbelievable volume, which even when soaking wet and messed around show no signs of scalp. Then you've got some flat, lacking volume, see through when wet and messed up hair, all from non-male pattern baldness people, but what are the figures on this? Are those with sick volume just ahead by 20,000 hairs or something RELATIVELY small like that? Or can people have as low as 80,000 hairs and some have 150,000 and such?

chewbaca

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I think genetics which determine hair count, shaft diameter and length play an important difference in ppl suffering from male pattern baldness

naturally if u are born with thin hair, lesser hair count and u get happend to get hit with male pattern baldness later in yr life , then u will suffer more cosmetically....

Deaner

Reaction score
But that's not really what I'm asking. I know that you're born with a certain pre-determined number, and I know that if you're thinner to begin with the hit will be faster and harder. I'm just wondering how much more hair those with really thick looking hair REALLY have.

2young

Reaction score
I read somewhere that the normal range of total hair counts on a human head varies from somewhere around 50,000 up to 100,000, but I can't remember where offhand. The average density of hair is something like 150 hairs/cm^2.

elguapo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I also read something on this, that said that people with brown hair tend to have more density. I don't think hair color has anything to do with it, though. I've always had very thick hair, but not dense. I always hated it growing up.=)

Can't believe everything you read.

arjun17

Reaction score
difference between "density" and "fullness&qu

It is'nt necessary that those with the fullest-LOOKING hair have the most density. Do u think that Africans with curly hair, just cuz their hair LOOKS so dense with no scalp showing, is actually very dense? Actually, they have significantly sparser hair on their heads than ppl with straight dark hair have, who in turn have less dense hair than blondes. They would have maybe 70000-80000 hairs at best. It is the thickness and curl which gives their hair a wonderful appearance of "fullness" or "coverage" in spite of their lower density. Their hair blocks light very well. While blondes with fine ,straight, flat hair often have very dense hair (140000 average, twice as much as African hair) still don't seem to have much hair because of the poor coverage offered by the individual hairs.
I myself have fine, straight, black hair of high density . But my hair is flat and lacks volume, and I have an oily scalp to top it all. My scalp does'nt show through when wet, but only if I push all the hair straight forward or slick it straight back. When its messed up , some scalp indeed shows, but then again, that is true for most people. The guys with hair which looks very thick may have at best 20-30% higher density than others. It is the quality (thickness, wave or curl, stiffness etc) of their hairs which contribute to the appearance of thick hair. Just think, if density was the most important factor in contributing to the fullness of hair, then hair transplants would be useless, because only 20% or less of the persons original (prior to hairloss) density is actually transplanted. Still, with this little amount of hair, it is possible to get reasonably full coverage. A certain minimum density is required to produce full coverage - more so if the hair is fine and straight, less if the hair is coarse and wavy or curly. Beyond that, the quality of the individual hairs predominates in producing the appearance of fullness.
Cheers,
Arjun

G

apparently Blond haired people have around 10,000 more hairs than the average 100,000 and ginger's have around 10,000 less.

I also think light and mirrors have a massive effect whether scalp can be seen or not.

Most people have a 'shitty' mirror that makes their hair look worse than it is.

It's not really the mirror, it's the lighting and its direction. It can get very complicated I tell you....