Junji Fukuda - Hair Inductivity in Dermal Papilla Cells

Super Metroid

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Potentially very exciting. Trials in Japan are much shorter than in the US, so if they are indeed able to start those in 2023 and manage to show good and safe results, the road to actually operate commercially could be very short.

However, it feels a bit like a rotating hype that eventually falls short and is never to be heard of again, such as with Shiseido, Tsuji and others. Would love to be proved wrong of course.

Feramon1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Potentially very exciting. Trials in Japan are much shorter than in the US, so if they are indeed able to start those in 2023 and manage to show good and safe results, the road to actually operate commercially could be very short.

However, it feels a bit like a rotating hype that eventually falls short and is never to be heard of again, such as with Shiseido, Tsuji and others. Would love to be proved wrong of course.
I agree. The hype is necessary primarily to attract investors. Balds, brought a lot of money to scientists, their activity.

Recently published article:
"Because of mesenchymal–epithelial interactions, hair microgels (HMGs) efficiently regenerated hair follicles on the back skin of mice. However, the generated hair shafts remained mostly beneath the skin. Therefore, we printed microgel beads onto surgical suture guides arrayed on a stage. The guide-inserted HMGs significantly improved hair-shaft sprouting through the skin owing to the control of the orientation of the HMGs in the skin."

Also published in june:

The Yokohama team plans to begin human clinical trials in 2023. They state that the treatment will not be too costly and will be safe. Well, let's see.

RagnarLothbrok

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
One advantage of derma papilla cell injections is that it would be very easy to commercialize compared to cloned or bioprinted follicle transplants which pose a huge manufacturing challenge. But it sounds too good to be true.

There are many companies working on 3D bio printing of organs. Not too long ago they managed to succesfully transplant a printed ear with her own human cells. It is a living tissue printed ear.

It looks like sh*t, but it proves that foreign tissue made from your own cells can be implanted in humans. Follicles are organs so its a bigger deal sadly. When your body rejects an organ transplant you can literally die... and you need to transplant more than 5K follicles for visual impact :(

Joxy

Experienced Member
Reaction score
One advantage of derma papilla cell injections is that it would be very easy to commercialize compared to cloned or bioprinted follicle transplants which pose a huge manufacturing challenge. But it sounds too good to be true.

There are many companies working on 3D bio printing of organs. Not too long ago they managed to succesfully transplant a printed ear with her own human cells. It is a living tissue printed ear.

It looks like sh*t, but it proves that foreign tissue made from your own cells can be implanted in humans. Follicles are organs so its a bigger deal sadly. When your body rejects an organ transplant you can literally die... and you need to transplant more than 5K follicles for visual impact :(
Actually, the ear look quite impressive and in couple of months from now it should act totally natural.

Joxy

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I agree. The hype is necessary primarily to attract investors. Balds, brought a lot of money to scientists, their activity.

Recently published article:

Also published in june:

The Yokohama team plans to begin human clinical trials in 2023. They state that the treatment will not be too costly and will be safe. Well, let's see.
These guys are Japanese. Most Japanese are people of honour. They will not put anything on table if they doesn’t have concrete product. Plus, Junji is professor at university which is highly respected profession in Japan. Just don’t forget the scientists from Japan who killed himself for claiming fake results on some experiment.

Dr sanches

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
These guys are Japanese. Most Japanese are people of honour. They will not put anything on table if they doesn’t have concrete product. Plus, Junji is professor at university which is highly respected profession in Japan. Just don’t forget the scientists from Japan who killed himself for claiming fake results on some experiment.
Dht and testosterone are still gonna bald the scalp this isn’t a cure lmfaoo

Feramon1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It's kind of a weird argument to be honest. As I said, time will tell, I don’t blame anyone for anything, but I know very well how capitalism works and I have no illusions.

froggy7

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If they make a new hair its basicly a new epigenom , meaning its might start from scratch like when you were young so you will have like 10-20 years untill its start to get destory by androgens
new hair must be dht resistant, no one will buy it if they fall out in few years

clarence-forgotpassword

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I just completed a translation of the Fukuda video. Browse to the previous page to see it.

They're basically just explaining the idea of hair culture in baby language to investors who don't know what a transplant is, or who aren't familiar with the concept of regenerating hair.

As for us balders, we've been watching this same movie for the last 10+ years. We know all of these story elements by now:
* The basics of a hair transplant for dummies, CHECK
* The importance of new ideas, CHECK
* The goal to make it affordable, CHECK
* A higher incentive which is treating life-threatening diseases, CHECK
* Why anyone would give a f***, CHECK

RagnarLothbrok

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I just completed a translation of the Fukuda video. Browse to the previous page to see it.

They're basically just explaining the idea of hair culture in baby language to investors who don't know what a transplant is, or who aren't familiar with the concept of regenerating hair.

As for us balders, we've been watching this same movie for the last 10+ years. We know all of these story elements by now:
* The basics of a hair transplant for dummies, CHECK
* The importance of new ideas, CHECK
* The goal to make it affordable, CHECK
* A higher incentive which is treating life-threatening diseases, CHECK
* Why anyone would give a f***, CHECK
lool, thats the template "invest in hairloss startup" presentation. Literally every time.

Joxy

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Stem cells, CRISPR, 3D/4D bioprinting, organoids are technologies for the future, but they are still in very early stage of development, so it will take another 10-15 years till we get to clinical trials.

These technologies are still robust and very expensive. CiRA is working to reduce the cost of iPSCs to 20.000 dollars per patient. They resently published paper in Nature regarding this topic and the technology that they are creating right now.

froggy7

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I pray to god every night you get into a horrible accident and your family gets to witness you suffer and die very slowly. Every night
it doesn't matter who you pray to because nobody listens to it, sometimes bad people live long and happily with a full head of hair, and good people suffer, get sick and are bald, in the end we all end up in the ground - I preferred to choose cryonics

Last edited:

Raccooner

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hair loss: The latest research on causes and treatments (medicalnewstoday.com)

Hair follicles in a dish​

For the first time, researchers have grown fully functional mature mouse hair follicles in vitro in the lab — in other words, outside a living animal. The “hair follicle organoids,” or “follicloids,” produced hair shafts that grew around 3 millimeters in 23 days.

The researchers hope that their cultured hair follicles will be useful for studying the biology of hair growth and pigmentation, and to screen new drugs.

In October 2022, they described their mouse hair follicloids in Science Advances.

“Our next step is to use cells from human origin, and apply [the technique] for drug development and regenerative medicine,” says senior author Dr. Junji Fukuda, a professor in the faculty of engineering at Yokohama National University in Japan.

Their work could offer opportunities to develop new, more effective treatments for hair loss, such as androgenetic alopecia.

However, the follicloids do not undergo growth cycles in the same way as normal hair. To reproduce hair cycles, it may be necessary to transplant the hair follicles into living animals.

Prof. Fukuda told Medical News Today that he and his colleagues have recently achieved this with individual follicles, which each contain a hair shaft up to 10 millimeters long.

“From the results, we think that signals from the body are necessary for hair cycles,” he said.

Since their recent study was published, they have also grown human hair follicles from stem cells, though for now these follicles remain at an immature stage. End.

I was reading that Fukuda hopes to start human trials this year (2023) on hairlosscure2020 but how is this possible if follicles remain at an immature stage?

badnewsbearer

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hair loss: The latest research on causes and treatments (medicalnewstoday.com)

Hair follicles in a dish​

For the first time, researchers have grown fully functional mature mouse hair follicles in vitro in the lab — in other words, outside a living animal. The “hair follicle organoids,” or “follicloids,” produced hair shafts that grew around 3 millimeters in 23 days.

The researchers hope that their cultured hair follicles will be useful for studying the biology of hair growth and pigmentation, and to screen new drugs.

In October 2022, they described their mouse hair follicloids in Science Advances.

“Our next step is to use cells from human origin, and apply [the technique] for drug development and regenerative medicine,” says senior author Dr. Junji Fukuda, a professor in the faculty of engineering at Yokohama National University in Japan.

Their work could offer opportunities to develop new, more effective treatments for hair loss, such as androgenetic alopecia.

However, the follicloids do not undergo growth cycles in the same way as normal hair. To reproduce hair cycles, it may be necessary to transplant the hair follicles into living animals.

Prof. Fukuda told Medical News Today that he and his colleagues have recently achieved this with individual follicles, which each contain a hair shaft up to 10 millimeters long.

“From the results, we think that signals from the body are necessary for hair cycles,” he said.

Since their recent study was published, they have also grown human hair follicles from stem cells, though for now these follicles remain at an immature stage. End.

I was reading that Fukuda hopes to start human trials this year (2023) on hairlosscure2020 but how is this possible if follicles remain at an immature stage?
i read in another report that they got these initial human data for follicles in 2018 so there is a good chance they have progressed it since then

Joxy

Experienced Member
Reaction score
New interview with Dr. Junji Fukuda from Yokohama National University. Still many years away from clinical trials with his new venture company “TrichoSeeds“.

Even in his last interview for JapanNews, Shinya Yamanaka, scientist that created iPSCs, spoke about the Valley of Death syndrom affected many scientists and labs in Japan. Also, production and culture of iPSCs at this point is extremely expensive, so CiRO where he is one of the leaders there is working currently on creating new technology to reduce the cost of iPSCs treatment to several thousands of dollars per person, and the person will get high quality of iPSCs lines.

On other hand, Chinese scientists created chemical reprogramming of iPSCs and not using Yamanaka factors, so they significantly reduce the factor of cancer and side effects.

This was their first attempt:

But it was insufficient, because it required 50 days to create them.

Now they optimize their technology to 16 days which open doors for clinical application.

Armando Jose

My Regimen
Reaction score
Since their recent study was published, they have also grown human hair follicles from stem cells, though for now these follicles remain at an immature stage.
I have a hunch, if they put sebum on them, surely they grow up