Junji Fukuda - Hair Inductivity in Dermal Papilla Cells

Joxy

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Junji Fukuda, japanese hair loss scientists, who is famous for working to bring bioengineered hair follicles on the market, recently published new scientific paper about hair inductivity in DPS. Junji Fukuda recently opened hair loss company named TrichoSeeds.

These results suggest that the PI3K/Akt signaling pathway is crucial for the maintenance and restoration of hair inductivity of DPCs. HB culture and/or activators of the PI3K/Akt signaling pathway could be a promising strategy for preparing DPCs for hair regenerative medicine.

Last edited:

JohnDoe5

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Junji Fukuda, japanese hair loss scientists, who is famous for working to bring bioengineered hair follicles on the market, recently published new scientific paper about hair inductivity in DPS. Junji Fukuda recently opened hair loss company named TrichoSeeds.

These results suggest that the PI3K/Akt signaling pathway is crucial for the maintenance and restoration of hair inductivity of DPCs. HB culture and/or activators of the PI3K/Akt signaling pathway could be a promising strategy for preparing DPCs for hair regenerative medicine.

More and more it's looking like the hair research community may have solved the inductivity problem.

Not sure yet though. I'm looking forward to the next hair loss congress.

Last edited:

Joxy

Experienced Member
Reaction score
This is still done on mice. In other words, it means nothing till they try it on humans.

Androgenic Alopecia is too complicated disease, and it will take years and years. Maybe decades. We must be realistic.

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
This is still done on mice. In other words, it means nothing till they try it on humans.

Androgenic Alopecia is too complicated disease, and it will take years and years. Maybe decades. We must be realistic.
It's human cells. This isn't like applying a drug to mice. If they can grow human cells and implant them in mice they can most likely implant them in humans. It's already been decades of work into this. We are in the last decade now before the finish line from the looks of it

JohnDoe5

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It's human cells. This isn't like applying a drug to mice. If they can grow human cells and implant them in mice they can most likely implant them in humans. It's already been decades of work into this. We are in the last decade now before the finish line from the looks of it
I agree with you that the study referenced human cells implanted into mouse skin and growing hair. That having been said, keep in mind that hair growth isn't just the result of activity in the cells. It's also the result of activity in the skin AND maybe cross-talk between the hair cells and the skin cell. Hence, the fact that the human cells were implanted into mouse skin does mean that the results could be different if those human cells had been implanted into human skin.

Last edited:

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
I agree with you that the study referenced human cells implanted into mouse skin and growing hair. That having been said, keep in mind that hair growth isn't just the result of activity in the cells. It's also the result of activity in the skin AND maybe cross-talk between the hair cells and the skin cell. Hence, the fact that the human cells were implanted into mouse skin does mean that the results could be different if those human cells had been implanted into human skin.
If you transplant a follicle from the back of the head to the temple it grows and cycles normally. I don't see why this would be any different.

JohnDoe5

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If you transplant a follicle from the back of the head to the temple it grows and cycles normally. I don't see why this would be any different.
We were talking about hair cells, not follicles. And this is a key distinction because if you want to implant cloned follicles into the scalp that's one thing but if you want to inject hair cells into the scalp that's something different.

If you want to implant cloned follicles into the scalp the first thing you have to do is clone entire fully functional follicles of the appropriate size. If you want to inject cells into the scalp then you have to harvest a hair follicle from the person's head, extract hair cells from that follicle, culture those cells to create more cells, and then inject those cells into the scalp.

I don't think anyone has managed to clone entire fully functioning follicles of the appropriate size yet. It could be years before someone invents a way to do that. I read that Loreal is trying to create follicles by way of 3-d printing but they're still working on it.

As far as hair cells go they can harvest a follicle, remove hair cells from that follicle and implant those cells into human skin and grow hair. They've been able to do that for a long time. The problem is that your existing follicles won't yield enough hair cells to give you back a good amount of hair so they have to create more of those cells by culturing those cells. The problem is that when they try to culture the hair cells, the hair cells morph into skin cells.

This is what is called the hair-inductivity problem.

They are trying to figure out how to culture hair cells (extracted from a follicle harvested from your own head) without them turning into skin cells. As soon as they can culture hair cells without the cells turning into skin cells, the hair loss problem could be licked.

Last edited:

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
Idk what fukuda is doing. Just injecting dp cells in humans hasn't worked well so far. Perhaps now with the advances in retaining inductivity it will work better. What I'm optimistic about is what Tsuji is doing. He is creating fully functional hair germs that are implanted one by one. I think the odds are very slim that his success doesn't translate to humans

LongFiveYears

My Regimen
Reaction score
But does Tsuji even want to translate it to humans? Or just wants 5 more million so he can continue with his research

clarence-forgotpassword

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm not japanese and not bald, but I've been working on translating japanese, so here's the whole thing:

#Yokohama National University #Faculty of Science and Engineering #Bio
[Faculty of Science and Engineering] A challenge from top runner of regenerative medicine "Junji Fukuda"

KISTEC laboratory in Tonomachi, Kawasaki.

Narrator: "Once a week, Fukuda is conducting an experiment to transplant human hair cells, cultured here, into mice. How did the breakthrough hair regrowth research that is to surprise the world in the near future come about?" (SAME TEXT IS IN THE VIDEO DESCRIPTION.)

Title: [Faculty of Science and Engineering] A challenge from top runner of regenerative medicine "Junji Fukuda"

Header: Innovative regenerative medicine - Solving the problem of thinning hair

Junji Fukuda, Professor, Graduate School of Engineering:: "What is regenerative medicine? Since our body is made up of cells in the first place, we use the cells themselves to treat the tissues and organs that have deteriorated, and instead of using conventional medicine, we process the cells in a smart way. That is to say, our method attempts to access the body and treat the problem.

Narrator: "However, cells usually lose their function when taken out of the body, so the key is asking how to culture and create a cell structure suitable for transplantation."

Dr. Fukuda: "After all, cells also need oxygen and are alive, so if you make something that is too large, the cells inside will die. To avoid that, design the tissue from an engineering point of view. Rather than medicine. engineering skills/tech will be required.
"

CAPTION: Amazing hand hair cell culture technology born from an engineering approach. (Google translate, hand hair? Yikes, I thought there are methods as old as time for getting hand hair?)

Dr. Fukuda: "This is an incubator developed in the laboratory for making transplanted tissue. It's an incubator made of silicone rubber such as is used for contact lenses that allow oxygen to pass through. By putting cells in here, we make a lot of tissue for transplantation (hair germs) , so then it boils down to culturing. Now, at this size/scope we can be make about 300 pieces of transplanted tissues (hair germs), but if this is about 10 cm in size, around 5,000 hair seeds can be made, we'll be able to make the transplanted tissue for one patient.

Narrator: "So far, the one obstacle in regenerative medicine-based transplantation has been poor reproduction efficiency of hair. When the structures that create hair all had to be created by way of manual work, grafts had to be prepared all at once for a skilled transplantation, something which was impossible."

Dr. Fukuda: "Because if we want to increase the hair of the entire head in one patient, about 5,000 transplanted tissues (the number required), part of the advantage of our technology is that we can culture and make it in this size."

Narrator: "So, how did Fukuda's research on hair regrowth, which became a major invention of the century, come about?"

CAPTION: Supporting cutting-edge research: Lab Fukuda

Dr. Fukuda: "Generally, the 4th grade of the undergraduate school is where one enters the laboratory, but with students wanting to do it from the 1st grade and having come wanting to do some interesting research over a long period of time, entering some face-to-face study theme, discussing with other students, at this time research on hair regeneration medicine has started."

Narrator: "To advance the research, "support from the surroundings is essential" says Fukuda. Even among strong support, the role of students gathering under Fukuda is important."

Kageyama Tatsuto, KISTEC-Researcher: "At the beginning, there was a big "vision to aim for hair regeneration". Although there are some issues. setting big issues one by one and not top-down however are more and more reflecting what are the opinions from below, those of students as well as us. Because there is such an environment, new ideas are going to come out."

Ayaka Nanshige, 2nd year master's degree: "It's characteristic of this laboratory not to do only what we are told by the teacher or seniors, but also to proceed with the experiment while thinking about what to do by ourselves. Even so, I think it's more attractive to be able to do as much as you want, as you can receive support from your seniors.

CAPTION:
The world awaits
YNU Hair Growth Technology

Narrator: "Many people, including KISTEC, the National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology in Kanagawa Prefecture, support Fukuda's innovative hair regrowth research and await the results."

Yoshihiro Masaki, KISTEC Business Producer: "Kanagawa Prefectural Institute of Industrial Science and Technology is one of the major jobs to provide research grants to excellent young researchers. As Dr. Fukuda's hair regeneration technology, as a result of various investigations, is very promising in the future along with what is called the "Our Strategic Research Seeds Development Project", we received an application from the evaluation commitee, whose members had a high reputation, so we adopted them and started a collaboration."

Narrator: "Dr. Kasai, who provides human hair root cells for Fukuda's research, is also one of the people who has great expectations."

Keiichiro Kasai, Shonan Androgenetic Alopecia Shinjuku Main Hospital / Director: It is said that there are about 100,000 to 150,000 hairs, but roughly only 8 thousand of them can be transplanted. That's the limitation (with hair transplantation). Rather, if we can take 10 times more, or 100 times more for that purpose, this is the dream which we hope will Dr. Fukuda will realize. Currently this can mostly be treated by taking medicine (thinning hair treatment), but you won't however be able to cure it if it progresses. However, if you can increase it by culturing, even if you don't take medicine, you can then transplant as much as you want. That's amazing, beyond imaginable, isn't it?

Dr. Fukuda: "If all goes well, even patients will no longer suffer from hair loss. I am excited to proceed with my research, hoping that I should be able to do that."

Narrator: "Then, in 3rd year of Reiwa, Junji Fukuda, a researcher who has been attracting attention from all over the world, established a venture company "Tricho Seeds" which became representative of the practical use of hair regenerative medicine. What is the future according to him?"

Caption: Venture company "Tricho Seeds? Established" for practical use of hair medicine

Dr. Fukuda: "For domestic or global expansion of this regenerative medicine's desire/demand for hair, it's necessary to install such an infrastructure in place both domesticlally and overseas. I would like to create such a world where regenerative medicine for organ tissues that are more life-threatening can be carried out at a realistic cost."

THE END

Last edited:

RagnarLothbrok

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
My conclusion is that it will eventually happen in humans in next years. (in a lab environment, and just a few follicles)

The bigger beast is making it useful for humanity, thats where it's gonna take forever to master.

I am still extremely skeptical that it will ever be a commercially viable option because of the fact that each follicle is an organ itself and you need at least >5K of them for decent coverage. Which means:
- They need to produce consistent results, otherwise you would look like a clown.
- Each follicle needs to be manually reviewed to ensure highest quality and consistency.
- Follicles must be preserved for an X amount of time before they degrade and die (usually 30mins in cold solution for hair transplants).
- The art of implanting follicles the proper way has nothing to do with hair multiplication, there is a dissonance between producing the follicles and achieving the aesthetic goal. You might have full head of hair but look like a retard if the surgeon isn't skilled.
- The patient still needs to go through a hair transplant proccedure. So in many cases, they might prefer to just use their donor first time for a much cheaper price if its not a >NW6.

All of the above makes the manufacturing process and cost seem like an absolute nightmare.

Despite all these challenges im happy to see a few fellow obssessed scientists on achieving it. I will be for sure a consumer if it happens since im already raping my donor out of follicles.

Last edited:

RagnarLothbrok

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
its out of my scope of knowledge but afaik Tsuji is working directly in hair germs engineering the follicle whereas Fukuda is working much earlier in the process directly engineering cells (derma papilla cells)

froggy7

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
its out of my scope of knowledge but afaik Tsuji is working directly in hair germs engineering the follicle whereas Fukuda is working much earlier in the process directly engineering cells (derma papilla cells)
which approach is better in You opinion?

RagnarLothbrok

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
as Pegasus mentioned dp cells need to injected into human scalp and hope that they grow hair in the right places. Im pretty skeptical that will ever work. Tsuji approach makes more sense to me.

Joxy

Experienced Member
Reaction score
as Pegasus mentioned dp cells need to injected into human scalp and hope that they grow hair in the right places. Im pretty skeptical that will ever work. Tsuji approach makes more sense to me.
Every product must be scalable and practical, so it can translate easily in practical use. If it is too much complicated and expensive, then it will be very hard to bring it on market.

Also, you will need to build infrastructure, train people how to do the whole operation, translate the technology to the clinics. That require a lot of money and time.

There is a reason why nobody invest in Tsuji. On other hand, some small sized companies with stupid products get daily 10M from venture capital firms without problems. We haven’t heard nothing from Tsuji more than a year...That tell us something...