Jon's hairloss story

jon0

Reaction score
Hi Im new to the forum and if anybody could give me some advice it will be really well appreciated.

I am 22 and for the last 4 years I have noticed my hair falling out. This started mainly at the front of the head and later a general thinning all over the head. My hair used to be so thick that I could brush my hair up off my face, like young people do now adays, and I even wore it long for a period of time.

Over the last few years I had been passing through the education system and just graduated from university last june. When I finished my final dissertation for university I was so stressed that i went home for a few days and my hair was just falling out from all over my head, so I cut it short 8cmish ( it was previously long to my shoulders nearly).
I thought my hair would grow back due to not being stressed anymore, due to finishing university but I was wrong it got worse. Then an even worse fate than the education system was enforced on me... unemployment.

But now its gotten so thin at the front that I had to wear it flat on my face with a fringe (thus covering up my frontal loss), and eventually now due to excessive loss, last week I shaved my head so its all 4mm long.

Basically I went to see a trichologist and she said that she didnt think I suffered from male pattern baldness, as my hair wasnt thining at the crown and I have no family history of severe baldness. She did say I had suffered some loss and she thought it could be down to stress and a kind of dermatitus on my scalp (that had been worrying me for a while).
She gave me some shampoo to combat the dermatitus and told me to not be stressed (easier said than done) and sent me on my way.
I used the shampoo she gave me and it had cleared up the dermatitus the first time I used it, or so I thought. The second time I used it, it seemed to come back. And so I thought the dermatitus problem in my hair was just dried bits of shampoo that I had neglected to wash out properly. I was right I washed my hair again in front of a mirror, washing out and rinsing well and my scalp is clear, but my hair is thinner.

I believe that stress does quicken the cycle of shedding hair, but my hair started to fall before any stressfull situations entered my life. And even when im not going through stress my hair would thin.
I dont look totally bald ( cojack style ), and im not suffering from alopecia of any kind. When I had my hair flat on my face as a fringe and you met me you would have thought I was mad if I told you i thought I had a hair loss problem, but that was just me cunningly concealing my follicle shame.

Ive desceided that cutting my hair to 4mm was a bad idea as it really shows how thin my hair is now, the only reason I did it was to be able to wash my hair easier to get rid of the dermatitus on the scalp that was meant to be causing my hairloss.
So as my hair grows back now over the coming months, and I grow my hair into a fringe again ( to hide my loss ), I wont be able to brush it up off my face due to the amount my hair that has receded and thined over the last 4 years.

So my question is what can I do about the thickness of hair at the front of my head, my hair line is okish its just the density that is really thin now. Can i use minoxodil, will that work? I really dont want to use Propecia, I am going to try Toppik but just as a temporary measure. What can I do?

I am just 22 years old and this is meant to be the peak of my life. This is the time that I am meant to look the best and feel the best that I ever will, and I really dont.

Thanks for any help and sorry if this is a little longwinded.

Jon0