Johnny Vaughan on discrimination against baldies

Ruel Fox

Reaction score
http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/lifes...lves-deep-into-his-trials-and-tribulations.do

But however enthusiastic he may be, there is a sense that greater things were expected of Vaughan than archaeology shows for a cable network. It wasn't so long ago that he was one of the most highly paid and talked-about TV stars - that was, before he went bald. As he says: "How many people on TV are bald except Paul McKenna?

It's not acceptable to be sexist, racist or ageist or even rude about people with ginger hair. But it's fine to marginalise bald people."

Tom1985

Established Member
Reaction score
I remember years ago when Johnny Vaughan hosted the Big Breakfast, he made fun of bald men!

What goes around comes around Johnny!

BornIn89

Established Member
Reaction score
Tom1985 said:
I remember years ago when Johnny Vaughan hosted the Big Breakfast, he made fun of bald men!

What goes around comes around Johnny!

Haha! Serves him right then.

Ruel Fox

Reaction score
Let's be fair, I'm sure there are plenty of people on here who poked fun at bald men now and again before they realised it was happening to them.

Problem is that from the outside looking in, it doesn't really seem like something that really negatively affects a guy's life much so most consider it a bit of harmless fun.

It's only when it starts happening to you, you realise the impact it can have on someone's confidence, career, love life etc and to the extent which drawing attention to it can be quite traumatic for some men.

Reaction score
I must say don't have much recollection of Johnny Vaughan on Big Breakfast mainly as I was of the age that it was cartoons before school, but if what Tom1985 says is accurate then I find it hard to have the same degree of sympathy when I first read the article.

Vaughan states: "It's not acceptable to be sexist, racist or ageist or even rude about people with ginger hair. But it's fine to marginalise bald people."

Yeah, Johnny you probably contributed to that when you thought we were fair game to be ridiculed. :jackit:

EDIT

Ruel Fox (hahah Spurs/Toon fan?) yeah I can accept that position to a certain extent i.e that people don't know how shitty male pattern baldness it is until they experience it. Yet, on the other hand, I think it's also a bit of a BS excuse as it's not like we are bereft of literature on the subject of male pattern baldness and how it can have such a negative impact on a man's life.

Tom1985

Established Member
Reaction score
OK, maybe I was a bit harsh before. It must be f*****g terrible going bald when you're a TV personality.

What I remember from the Big Breakfast is that they were doing a piece about dating or something. It was mentioned that women like men with a full head of hair and Johnny ran his hand through his hair, winked at the camera and made some douchebag comment.

I guess he was just joking around but it was still probably really annoying to all the bald guys watching.

I actually like Johnny Vaughan though, he's quite entertaining.

P.S. Anyone noticed that Paddy McGuiness from Take Me Out seems to be using some kind of concealer. He was diffusing BAD a while ago. Or maybe he's on the big three.

Thom

Experienced Member
Reaction score
yeah, I think most of us made fun of those balding before we realized how emotionally devastating it is. I just want to tell more people about the big 3. I never knew such a combination was out there so I was just thinking once it went I would get a hair transplant. I've saved it in time, and nobody actually knows I've thinned. I've only been on the big 3 since November too and everyone made balding comments then.

s.a.f

Reaction score
Tom1985 said:
OK, maybe I was a bit harsh before. It must be f****ing terrible going bald when you're a TV personality.

What I remember from the Big Breakfast is that they were doing a piece about dating or something. It was mentioned that women like men with a full head of hair and Johnny ran his hand through his hair, winked at the camera and made some douchebag comment.

Maybe you misread it Vaughn has been balding since before his big breakfast days, back then he was using lots of concealers and I remember him talking on air about being a 'crafty comber'.

Tom1985 said:
P.S. Anyone noticed that Paddy McGuiness from Take Me Out seems to be using some kind of concealer. He was diffusing BAD a while ago. Or maybe he's on the big three.

Yeah when he shaved it off he looked like he was extremly diffused, he wore it like that for a few years and now suddenly he seems to have grown it back and its much thicker looking.

smalley

Reaction score
Johnny Vaughan openly admitted his hair problems on Big Breakfast, i remember him out in the rain and saying lets go in before my ink runs.