Joe Rogan Interviews Jordan Peterson

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
I watched the video:
I had a date today which involved two hours of total driving (one hour each way), so I put this on as something to listen to. Catching up on Jordan Peterson has been on my to-do list for a while. We've had a Peterson boom and I'm way behind the tide.

It's a good, informative interview. Peterson does a deceptively effective job of speaking clearly in a non-controversial manner. I related to a lot of it as some of it has come up for me before. For example, his discussion of needing to confront failure, so as to learn, is true, and I often wonder if the fear of failure is what drives procrastination. I feel bad when I waste too much time (he discusses that). It's also valid to say to people that there's a lot of suffering and irrelevance to life. This is not new though, if I recall correctly, it's central to Buddhism.

In fact both points are somewhat widely disseminated. For example I've heard that growth can only happen by leaving one's comfort zone, that was in the context of graduate research. However it's also the case that they're understated, because often we hear contradictory bullshit, our culture is now very hedonistic.

Peterson discusses the ketogenic diet at the end and how it solved his health problems. He had severe health problems including an insomnia that lasted several weeks. He went on a ketogenic diet of meat and greens and subsequently lost 50 lbs and solved his auto-immune problems.

It was also interesting that he recommended George Orwell's Wigan Pier as a book to read. I just bought that book and am looking forward to reading it. Lastly, I appreciated his explanation of the line "the meek shall inherit the earth". It's a very famous line so it's both surprising and unsurprising that people don't know better. The meaning that he gives is more poignant.

There are a few things that bother me in the video, but they are secondary to the main points.

1) He dismisses marxism/communism due to political events in the 20th century as if they are intrinsically representative. They are not, though it does not matter as he is giving advice to people who live in a capitalist society.
The Soviet Union was in fact severely crippled by the first World War (before communism), and then a costly revolutionary war to remove the tsar where other countries intervened to attack and undermine Russia. Following this, Stalin industrialized as fast as possible because he was afraid that Germany was going to go into the USSR and kill everybody. Hitler told people that this was his plan. Stalin was eventually proved right, as Hitler invaded in 1941 and came very, very close to destroying the USSR. They lost another 20 million. They would have lost another 150 million if not for the industrialization of the 1920s and 1930s, as Hitler's plan was the complete extermination of the USSR.
In those desperate conditions, countries make sacrifices. If Stalin had slowed things down, the USSR would have lost a full 170 million people, as that was their population in 1939. I would not be alive today, and you all would possibly be speaking German or Japanese.

2) Peterson dismisses the role of privilege in the world. It's not necessarily relevant for his crowd, able-bodied white males who have genuine opportunity to do well in life, to "go to heaven" as he calls it. Regardless, it's the case that many people have less opportunity. For example, police in the USA go out of their way to harass African American men.

IdealForehead

My Regimen
Reaction score
Perfectionism, fear of failure, and procrastination all intertwine in an unpleasant way that can affect me in some areas too. I try to be mindful of it.

I also enjoy Peterson's style of debate. He's a very sharp guy and doesn't back down, but does it in a way that usually avoids direct offense unless necessary. I used to enjoy Obama's style of debate too (when he was on his game and not prone to rambling about minutia) for a similar reason, although Obama had a much softer touch of course. They both take a calm, reasoned, and logical approach and are both quite articulate.

I'm giving it a listen. Thanks. The interview they comment on at the start was absolutely hilarious. Peterson couldn't have handled it better.

Also Peterson's transplant doesn't look like it's holding up so well under that lighting. I wonder if he's on finasteride. From what you say about him being hardcore about "natural cures" like going keto I bet he wouldn't want to take something like finasteride on principle.

Last edited:

kj6723

My Regimen
Reaction score
Those two are going to be hard for you to shake off, as I can tell that you're a bit ideologically-possessed (as Peterson would say) when it comes to those ideas. And it's understandable, how long have you believed that Marxism slash communism could ever be viable systems now? It seems you still want to defend them and believe that they could be implemented successfully.

It took me a while to get this, months, more than a year, even by listening to Peterson and other experts on the subject. Why is Marxism a murderous ideology? It sounds nice on paper. Everyone should have the same, or at least should have enough, why not redistribute resources? And even today, the simplest answer I could give is: because human nature says no.

Because people will say no. So what happens? When the doctrine of Marxism is put into place as a political system, it will have to be enforced, because those who have will not simply give up their resources like that (those dirty privileged pigs!). Also they'll want to erase all traces of inequalities, and that would be nice if that meant lifting up everyone to the same level (what capitalism and the free market are actually doing).

But the problem is that the ideology of Marxism is actually rooted in envy, jealousy, resentment, as Peterson as demonstrated many times by analyzing Soljenitsyne's The Gulag Archipelago. It seems that the angry "underprivileged" and oppressed mob unconsciously wants to bring all those people who are above them in the social hierarchy down to their level or worse. Anyway, we've seen the direct result of Marxism many, many times now, and it's still happening right now: a bloodbath.

I know, it's hard to admit one has been wrong for a long time, I've been a gullible leftist growing up, became an atheist, even bought into postmodernism. In the end, it's just a destructive pathway downward, and those parasitic ideologies coupled with my aggressive hair loss, major depression, panic attacks, anxiety problems, acne, gynecomastia, psychosis (all intertwined) sent me on a horrible trip to hell.

Which brings me to your second point: we were discussing privilege and racism with my girlfriend yesterday. She always likes to say that she has her own opinions and she's not influenced by propaganda at all, but the first time we had this discussion, she told me: "But, you're a straight white male, you're at the top of the food chain!"

That was not her idea. As Peterson often says by quoting Carl Jung: people don't have ideas, ideas have people. There is such thing as privilege, there is such thing as a disadvantage, and every human being has to deal with a combination of the two.

Talking about privilege is not very interesting to me, you could say you'd like to have my height, and I could say I wish I was as smart as you, and we could do that with many of our respective traits.

We could talk about the many ways I'm privileged, and then I could tell you about my personality traits that make me too nice, too prone to anxiety which are near to impossible to modulate and put a lot of constraints on the jobs I can do, or that I can do without being quickly crushed and burned-out.

I guess what I want to say is: I wasn't feeling much of my able-bodied white privilege when I was stuck at rock bottom with all the problems I cited. No matter how deep in the sh*t you are, no matter your disadvantages, I believe that there is always a way upward. Sure your plateau will probably not look like an EDM music video, but what Peterson made me understand is that there are only two pathways: good and evil, you're either working at making your life worse and subsequently the world a worse place or you're working at tilting the world a bit more towards heaven.

And his "crowd" is not composed of able-bodied white males, I... OK I've actually met Peterson in real life, and I've seen a sample of his followers here in Europe. Sorry Afro, there were Arab men, Indian men, South-African men (one of them was white though so does that count?! ;) ), Romanian women, etc. Mostly white men, true, but overall a very diverse crowd, not that it matters much anyway. Don't buy into the current regressive left's narrative. And try to let go of the ideas that are clearly not helping you.

I wish I could say Jordan Peterson saved me, but it isn't the case, if you remember my evolution on this forum, I had implemented most of his ideas before I ever heard of him. Everything came to me incrementally: fixing my hair, fixing myself, getting a job, getting up every day at the same time, getting a stable girlfriend, eating a low-carb/high-protein diet, starting weightlifting, the beginning of my return to Christianity, etc. When I discovered Peterson back in June 2017, he mostly confirmed what I had discovered on my personal journey.

Anyway, have fun catching up with his podcasts, you're bound to have a lot of "aha!" moments :).

My problem with the whole "white male privilege" thing isn't so much that I don't believe it's a thing, it's that it's just 1 of COUNTLESS privilege's people might have in life, yet the hardcore leftists fixate on it like it's the only one that's relevant

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
And it's understandable, how long have you believed that Marxism slash communism could ever be viable systems now?
The Soviet Union avoided total extermination in the second world war, that's an example of communism working well. They had 150 million citizens survive the second world war, when the alternative would have been 0.

Since you ignored this post, I recommend you read ... just about any historical document on the eastern front in the second world.

It seems you still want to defend them and believe that they could be implemented successfully.
I never wrote this in the context of the western countries.

Because people will say no. So what happens? When the doctrine of Marxism is put into place as a political system, it will have to be enforced, because those who have will not simply give up their resources like that (those dirty privileged pigs!). Also they'll want to erase all traces of inequalities, and that would be nice if that meant lifting up everyone to the same level (what capitalism and the free market are actually doing).
All modern political systems need to be enforced by military and police forces. The US is spending 600 billion on its military this year, and 200 billion on policing and incarceration.

They dropped more on ammunition on little Vietnam than Japan and Germany got in the entirety of the second world war. Children in Vietnam are still being born with horrible birth defects that dwarf the misery that you felt from baldness. A google image search for "vietnam war birth defects" will show you good examples of a "political system needing to be enforced".

Which brings me to your second point: we were discussing privilege and racism with my girlfriend yesterday. She always likes to say that she has her own opinions and she's not influenced by propaganda at all, but the first time we had this discussion, she told me: "But, you're a straight white male, you're at the top of the food chain!"
And it would have been far worse for you in a different context. You had cheap government-funded tuition, your family paid for your rent, food, transportation, and one half of your transplant. When you graduated you walked into an economy with good employment.

Last edited:

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Perfectionism, fear of failure, and procrastination all intertwine in an unpleasant way that can affect me in some areas too. I try to be mindful of it.

I also enjoy Peterson's style of debate. He's a very sharp guy and doesn't back down, but does it in a way that usually avoids direct offense unless necessary. I used to enjoy Obama's style of debate too (when he was on his game and not prone to rambling about minutia) for a similar reason, although Obama had a much softer touch of course. They both take a calm, reasoned, and logical approach and are both quite articulate.

I'm giving it a listen. Thanks. The interview they comment on at the start was absolutely hilarious. Peterson couldn't have handled it better.

Also Peterson's transplant doesn't look like it's holding up so well under that lighting. I wonder if he's on finasteride. From what you say about him being hardcore about "natural cures" like going keto I bet he wouldn't want to take something like finasteride on principle.

Ketosis is working out very well which suggests he might have had a lot of allergies to the plant sector, possibly to lectins.

I also reject the idea that there's an ironclad distinction between changing your hormones naturally and changing them with steroids. Reasonable people can find both of them effective in different contexts.

From the sound of it he might have been a type-II diabetic. There's no pharmaceutical cure for that, one has to shift one's eating habits.

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah so did the West. , the alternative could have been not implement communism and not directly murder dozens of millions of people who were deemed to be enemies of the Marxist ideology?

Working well... Have you ever spoken to anyone who has lived under communism? Anyone from Eastern Europe? I have, and they all tell you the same.

The West was and is still free. The Soviet Union wasn't. Working well... This is the kind of statement that leaves me speechless.

Again, read any competent history book on the eastern front.

The rest of the west was never in danger of being wiped out. After Hitler easily conquered Belgium and France (for example) the majority of the people went on with their lives and were still part of the west. If Germany had wanted to, they would have exterminated the Belgian population, but that wasn't part of the plan.

Hitler was very clear on who his targets were: Jews, Slavs, etc. Some ~80% of the German military and its resources were focused on the eastern front. The USSR (not Belgium, not the UK) did most of the fighting, most of the defeating, and were barely able to survive.

If Germany had taken Moscow in 1941 or Stalingrad in 1942, the entirety of Europe and the Mediterranean would have become and would likely remain today an Axis stronghold.

blackg

Reaction score
I don't believe the forces of Evil could have established an Empire that would have lasted very long.

And yet again this idea that there are valid and invalid history books. Crackpot sources and valid sources, the sources that are approved by the other comrades, like Oliver Stone's movies. The West is not just another system just like Nazi Germany wasn't just another system that could have established its Reich that was supposed to last a thousand years.

The West with its Christian foundations got a lot of its fundamental ideas right to produce the best societies in the history of mankind. And no, that's not because of Western propaganda aimed at making us seem like the good guys and no, capitalism is not an evil system designed to kill the weakest members of our society.

My family on my mother's side was in the resistance, do you seriously think that the Nazis were enjoying a Club Med vacation while they were in Belgium? My great grandfather used to blow up cafes full of that human scum, and a very determined part of the population would never have let them take over in the long run. I believe each individual that risked their lives against the Nazis played an important part.

Lay off the historical materialism and the moral relativism for a second and try to see the heroism of our armies and our resistance for what they were worth. Also we wouldn't have won the war if it were for Muricah' and the Normandy landings, am I right @blackg ?!

View attachment 84517
You bet your ***!! And I applaud your ancestors resistance against those good-natured occupiers of the 1940's.

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't believe the forces of Evil could have established an Empire that would have lasted very long.

And yet again this idea that there are valid and invalid history books. Crackpot sources and valid sources, the sources that are approved by the other comrades, like Oliver Stone's movies. The West is not just another system just like Nazi Germany wasn't just another system that could have established its Reich that was supposed to last a thousand years.

The West with its Christian foundations got a lot of its fundamental ideas right to produce the best societies in the history of mankind. And no, that's not because of Western propaganda aimed at making us seem like the good guys and no, capitalism is not an evil system designed to kill the weakest members of our society.

My family on my mother's side was in the resistance, do you seriously think that the Nazis were enjoying a Club Med vacation while they were in Belgium? My great grandfather used to blow up cafes full of that human scum, and a very determined part of the population would never have let them take over in the long run. I believe each individual that risked their lives against the Nazis played an important part.

Lay off the historical materialism and the moral relativism for a second and try to see the heroism of our armies and our resistance for what they were worth. Also we wouldn't have won the war if it were for Muricah' and the Normandy landings, am I right @blackg ?!

View attachment 84517

Each individual played an important part, but in the greater scheme the USSR was responsible for ~80% of German military casualties. That's part of the historical record (all competent history books on the subject) and is not from Oliver Stone.

By the time the allies invaded Normandy, the third Reich was already failing. The effect of the invasion was real but not what you think. It didn't defeat the Nazis -- it meant that parts of Europe would remain part of liberal capitalism. If not for the invasion, Stalin would have rolled on past Germany, through Belgium, and all the way to Lisbon.

blackg

Reaction score
Each individual played an important part, but in the greater scheme the USSR was responsible for ~80% of German military casualties. That's part of the historical record (all competent history books on the subject) and is not from Oliver Stone.

By the time the allies invaded Normandy, the third Reich was already failing. The effect of the invasion was real but not what you think. It didn't defeat the Nazis -- it meant that parts of Europe would remain part of liberal capitalism. If not for the invasion, Stalin would have rolled on past Germany, through Belgium, and all the way to Lisbon.
You're very cynical at times, Dave.
You seem to view this part of history through the prism of your own political bias.

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
You're very cynical at times, Dave.
You seem to view this part of history through the prism of your own political bias.

It's a cynical period.

It's also well-documented that most German casualties were on the Eastern Front.

Stalin was "Uncle Joe" in the US press, and won Time Magazine's man of the year.

But in the meantime, I'd like it if Hollywood made a good adaptation of the Battle of the Coral Sea.

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
The Soviet Union would have suffered the same fate no matter how many territories it would have annexed.

Evil (nazism or communism) doesn't triumph for long Afro.

Hopefully, more people will leave Marx and the far-right identitarian theorists to rot in their graves now.

Let us consolidate the West and its Christian foundations to lift the rest of humanity out of poverty and misery.

Let us again put our trust into the heroic individual who redeems the world by voluntarily sacrificing himself for the greater good (no, not that great good comrade!).

"We need other mountain of corpses, then communism will bring utopia to mankind."

View attachment 84530

Anyway we're really off-topic. As I wrote in mr original post at the top, I don't think that this error is very important. The context (yes, context lol) of Peterson's advice is mostly that to young people in western countries, who live in liberal capitalism. It doesn't matter if he's significantly mistaken as to conditions in the USSR in 1939. In spite of the economic problems of the recent decades, a lot of young people still have the option of pursuing a better life for themselves.

Evil, by the way, can do very well for itself. Yes it breaks down in the long-term but so does good -- most things eventually end. The history books show us that evil has triumphed many times. That's why we need good. WE should not just assume that good will win.

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
I agree for the most part with Peterson's point that people who go to Ivy League universities (that's an example given) should hand in their victim card. Once people achieve that ... that privilege ;-) they are most likely ahead of the curve overall.

Bklyn_23

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I think he's still taking some kind of antidepressant, so he still believes in Western medicine. So finasteride is also a possibility.

Take a look at his latest videos and you'll see that his hair transplant grew in quite nicely.

View attachment 84501

It's funny, because in one of his recent interviews I actually said to myself "wow, his hair looks much thicker and his hairline has improved - I wonder if he's on finasteride." I had no idea that it was known that he had a transplant. It's also amusing that a guy his age who definitely had the means to procure a transplant even before he blew up on the internet this past year all of a sudden decided to get one now, likely due to being in the public eye more.

Agree or disagree with Peterson, he's a very thoughtful and well-reasoned person, super intelligent, and I always gain new insights when listening to him.

blackg

Reaction score
It's a cynical period.

It's also well-documented that most German casualties were on the Eastern Front.

Stalin was "Uncle Joe" in the US press, and won Time Magazine's man of the year.

But in the meantime, I'd like it if Hollywood made a good adaptation of the Battle of the Coral Sea.
Yes I have always had an understanding for the 20 million Russian casualties in WW2.

But I'm glad for the American and British (Australia was involved too) invasion from the Western front.
Thank God as this intervention was a bulwark against the rest of Europe living under communism for the next 50 years.

blackg

Reaction score
Did he say he was talking about the USSR in 1939? I don't think so, he's talking about the USSR in 1920's and the dekulakization which led to the Ukranian famine that killed 6 million people. And truly killed, not in like the "capitalism kills" BS.

Anyway, I don't see the point of comparing murderous totalitarian ideologies to the free West. Your measure is that some people actually survived? Well, I'd rather be dead than to live under such regime.

Talk to people who live under communism, not in 1925, not in 1939, but in the 1980's, many of them are well and alive to tell you how it was like. Peterson is spot on on that, and it's always been that way in totalitarian regime:

The system is not top-down, it's not the evil (that word again) elites that impose their will on the poor population that's forced to follow. No. Everyone was guilty, everyone was corrupt and it wouldn't have taken that many people to put an end to the hell those people were living in.

In Soviet Russia, everyone was lying to everyone else all the time. You had to, and don't you dare tell anyone that you feel depressed. You're living under the utopia now, your life is perfect, everyone's life is perfect. You don't agree? Gulag 17 for you.

Not being allowed to say what you think is the same as not being allowed to think at all. It took me a while to get this.

Again, you simply can't compare systems like communism or Sharia Law to the classically liberal capitalist societies. Our system is not just another system, try to tweak its fundamental axioms just a little, and you can be sure you'll get hell on earth 99% of the time.

Everyone has the option of pursuing a better life for themselves, but only the West freely lets that happen and rewards that pursuit. Telling the truth and living a truthful life is one of the basis to let that happen, and that will not be allowed in roughly 90% of the world.

Try to do that in those parts of the world and...

View attachment 84534

So let us be grateful.
It's Western values or nothing for me. Like you said, free expression or death.

blackg

Reaction score
Had Germany taken Russia, at the time of their supposed attempt at Stalingrad, their forces (in numbers) simply would not have been able to hold that large of a territory. And it showed - you are correct in your analyses of the eastern front. Many men during the invasion of Normandy were met with low skilled soldiers.
But by that time, American air-brigades had knocked out much of the German supply lines, and in middle east had secured oil. That being said, Germany was screwed. Not to mention, the atomic bomb would have been used against Germany prior to Japan, as we had more or less cornered Japan back to their home isles, and were even firebombing Tokyo.
Now Russia, being in political turmoil for the better part of 50 years prior, could have industrialized without "communism," though you have to understand that if they weren't able to fight the war, treaties might have been made differently.
God bless America!

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
You often don't realize how much ahead of the curve you are until you seriously educate yourself on what other people are going through, and I don't mean basing yourself on their carefully crafted social media reputation. Listen, observe and learn what truly matters in life.

Recently, I've been meeting a lot of hot shots who work in the Big Four because my girlfriend works in finance. You know how we're supposed to think that those people are la crème de la crème, right? Top of their class, soon to be senior associate or some BS like that, barely any social life, calling people 'losers' in every other sentence.

I think I'm quite of an easy-going person, I can try really hard to like people, to make them talk, to find them interesting, but those people... I fail, every time. All they talk about is work, tax, audit, career. And I'm just standing there staring into the void.

When I told those people where I was working, there was an awkward silence, they assumed it was a joke at first, or they were thinking "how are we supposed to deal with this muggle who's not even working at the Big Four?!"

Why am I ranting again? Oh yeah, you were talking about Ivy League people being the ones who are ahead of the curve. Why even go so far up the ladder?! And why assume that they're better off than you, more privileged and happier? I know it's easy to believe but that's not what I see.

To me, those high-achieving people are living in a prison, sacrificing their social life and their souls for the wrong reasons. And when you ask them why, they'll tell you that they work 70 hours a week so they can have that line on their resume or cash in at a point.

I'm currently in a position where my girlfriend and I will have more money than we can handle for a while (with our jobs, inheritance, white privilege KIDDING! etc.), at a point, it just doesn't matter anymore. I do my job, the money comes in and mostly sits there despite spending 5000€ a year on travelling. My life wouldn't change much with more money.

All this to say that I feel like I'm ahead of the curve, more than that, I feel on top of the f*****g world, and most of my happiness and contentment don't come from money but from my hobbies that cost me almost nothing, I pirate my entertainment and formed a band with a sh*t electro-acoustic guitar and an ad in a Facebook group.

Forget Ivy League alumni, take a loser (not according to me though) like me, I feel privileged, I feel like I have no right to a victim card, well maybe for the early male pattern baldness, but they don't accept it anywhere. Do you feel you have the right to a victim card Afro?

I do not have a track record of presenting myself like an aggrieved victim here.

CaptainForehead

Reaction score

WWII_Russia_a3jb7RN_700b.jpg

CaptainForehead

Reaction score
Everyone has the option of pursuing a better life for themselves, but only the West freely lets that happen and rewards that pursuit.

You have so much to learn about the world Bear!

CaptainForehead

Reaction score
I pirate my entertainment

Criminal!

The point of working your butt off in the finance sector is to save up enough money to retire comfortably by 35-40.