Jiu Jitsu and a hair system? Is it possible?

jamesbooker1975

My Regimen
Reaction score
Any chance of pulling that off? Or absolutely asking for trouble?
No way at all . Sooner or later someone will grab your system . And even if not , will be garder in almost any contact sport, specially in Jiu Jitsu where you have contact all the time.

secondwind

My Regimen
Reaction score
Any chance of pulling that off? Or absolutely asking for trouble?
I have had it shift a little playing flag football. No one noticed but I will be wearing a hat when playing from now on. It was about 10 days after being bonded. I would sit Jiu Jitsu out.

Rijad

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I would not wear a hair system, especially thin skin or French/ Swiss lace for sports/ heavy workout at all. If you really want to, try to use glue and tape together for maximum hold.

grincher

Experienced Member
Reaction score
My advice here would be the same I previously gave a rugby player and also a police officer - any head friction could remove even a good bond and a hair grab will most likely remove all pieces.

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
I would not wear a hair system, especially thin skin or French/ Swiss lace for sports/ heavy workout at all. If you really want to, try to use glue and tape together for maximum hold.
Tape is simply glue applied to a plastic substrate. Adding more glue is not going to make it any stronger.

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
A former MMA client of mine lost his system during a match... shaved the next day. if there is a chance someone would grab your hair, don't wear during matches.

Rijad

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Tape is simply glue applied to a plastic substrate. Adding more glue is not going to make it any stronger.
Thank you for the info! I have not tried to use glue and tape myself, but a friend of mine did that and it lasted him a few months.

Fanjeera

Reaction score
Actually I found out it does. I put the strongest tape I could find ontop of 4-5 layers of Ghostbond Platinum and it's so much stronger I can feel it. Even 4-5 weeks later it's difficult to remove after lots of daily sweating. I only do it when I'm going to a vacation to a warm country.

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
Actually I found out it does. I put the strongest tape I could find ontop of 4-5 layers of Ghostbond Platinum and it's so much stronger I can feel it. Even 4-5 weeks later it's difficult to remove after lots of daily sweating. I only do it when I'm going to a vacation to a warm country.
You're adding a different type of adhesive. Using more acrylic adhesive on top of acrylic tape would not make it any stronger. The ghostbond is simply acting as a scalp protector.

You may be onto something!

I'll try ghostbond as scalp protector....I only get 7 days with no sweat, max hold sport, and ultra hold..Ghost bond hasn't worked well,in the past, for me.
If I could get 2 weeks, I'd be estatic....

Last edited:

Hair2019

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Isn't there any way you could wear a head guard? I've seen some people who do martial arts wear those. Or you could invent an excuse to wear one. That way, you won't have to worry about anything happening to your hair while doing martial arts.

JonathanHair

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
A former MMA client of mine lost his system during a match... shaved the next day. if there is a chance someone would grab your hair, don't wear during matches.

Adding to this, in MMA, people with plenty of hair usually braid their hair or get a buzzcut to avoid their hair getting pulled. Jiu-jitsu is different since it's on the ground and there is not as much force or aggression compared to MMA. That said, it's still a risk and I wouldn't do it if you were competing in a competition or something. Maybe just try it out with a sparring partner first to see how the hold is?