Jimjams's Story - 32yo - UPDATED 17.11.11 - New to dutasteride

jimjams

Reaction score
UPDATED - 20th Aug 2013 - See PAGE 4

Hi all,

Well I have now been reading many posts on this forum since around October and from it have been on a concoction of thigns to try slow, stop or reverse my hair loss.

I have been losing my hair for some time I think but only noticed after a short hair cut in October 08. Since then I think the stress of dealing with this and starting a new job has accelerated my loss, it has been tough to come to terms with but now I am accepting it. Just crossing my fingers that my girlfriend does not find me ugly and dumps my sad ***!

The reason for posting is because I am hoping for a success story so figured lets document and see what happens. I have attached a couple baseline but it is hard to tell if I have had much success, anyway I will let you decide but I think natural hairgrowth has covered up a few finasteride spots and I dont think any of it is related to my regime, which is....

1mg of finasteride (Propecia) every 3rd day. (Did this because every other day gave me testical ache and sensitive nipples so am going to slowling increase.. no sides on every 3rd day)

3 x Procerin tablets (1 in the AM and 2 in the PM. I personally think this is a waste of time, been on it nearly 3 months now and dont think I will be buying anymore)

6000mg Ginkgo Biloba - 1 tablet per day. I am taking this because it thins the blood to help circulation to the scalp

Nizoral 1% every other day - Pretty harsh on the hair so use a hair condition too.

Nisim Hair bio factors - every other day. Good on the hair but no regrowth.

SO, all in all I have been doing this for nearly 3 months, except Propecia which has been about a month. I still lose hair everytime I wash, terminal and small vellus, not sure if this is good or bad but to be honest I have lost hair for the last 8 years and never thought anything of it till recently. The goal, to stop the loss!

Wish me luck and will keep you updated with progress.

Attachments

• DSC01887.JPG
    DSC01887.JPG
    44.4 KB · Views: 516

jimjams

Reaction score
Re: 30yrs old - finasteride + nizoral + Topicals

A couple more pictures for you to look at and something for us to compare with a few more months down the line.

Also, am contemplating testing this new A&G Hair Complex as I am hearing great things about it at the moment. I firmly believe, this time in 2012 being bald will no longer be something we have to worry about. A cure is coming, believe it people. :)

Attachments

• DSC02456 - copy.jpg
    DSC02456 - copy.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 427
  • DSC02647 - copy.jpg
    DSC02647 - copy.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 445

Jokerman

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: Jimjams's Story - ( 30/ finasteride + nizoral + Topicals)

Hopefully someone else could comment on this: I'm wondering if it would be more effective to take a lower dose of finasteride daily daily rather than 1mg every three days, considering that propecia doesn't stay in your system for very long?

But if you're uncomfortable about the potential sides and you feel this regimen is working, it'd probably a pretty good idea to just stick with it.

jimjams

Reaction score

I have seen studys which show that every other day is just as effective. However, as jokerman said I would like to see other peoples views on this. I may just go to 0.5 every day if this is deemed much more effective.

jimjams

Reaction score

arrrghhh!

My hair just seems to be getting thinner recently, I think I maybe going through a shed.

Is it normal for your hair to feel like hay? Its definatley more fuzzy and is harder to style nowadays. I am hoping it will stop soon but am really really worried! I think I am gonna look so damn ugly bald!! :((

RaginDemon

Reaction score

good result!

Reaction score

Your hair already looks darker in the updated pictures, so I would guess that the treatments are working.

I have seen studies where patients have had side effects on 1 mg Propecia per day, who went to an every third day or every OTHER day schedule without a recurrence.

I think your best bet is to maybe try to bump up to every other day, but to go back to every third day if you get sides because that is already working for you. Based on my own personal experience and from what I've read on the board, using a lower dose every day is not often very effective at getting rid of sides.

jimjams

Reaction score

Hi all, Here we are nearly one year on since noticing the hairloss... commenced treatment in about January this year. I thought I would give you an update on where I am, personally I think this needs to be moved to the success the column but I don't know how to do it. Anyone?

Anyway, I now take Propecia (finasteride) once per day, Nizoral about 3 times per week and Rogaine Foam once per day, although I sometimes forget. Saying that, I sometimes forget to take the finasteride as well but no major impact from that.

My hair overall feels, and looks thicker. Certainly a long way off the thick mop it used to be, but hopefully I can maintain what I have got and maybe continue to grow more back. My dad is bald, so sadly I am heading in that direction, but fingers crossed I don't have to go down the same road he did.

Picture attached, which I took today. Feedback always welcome. Is it a success??

Attachments

• DSC02952- copy.jpg
    DSC02952- copy.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 340
  • DSC02953 - copy.jpg
    DSC02953 - copy.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 316

irishpride86

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

jimjams said:
arrrghhh!

My hair just seems to be getting thinner recently, I think I maybe going through a shed.

Is it normal for your hair to feel like hay? Its definatley more fuzzy and is harder to style nowadays. I am hoping it will stop soon but am really really worried! I think I am gonna look so damn ugly bald!! :((

When you went through this shedding stage did you hair all over your head get thinner including back and sides and then return to normal agian ? Do you happen to have pics of this shed ?

jimjams

Reaction score

??? said:
jimjams said:
arrrghhh!

When you went through this shedding stage did you hair all over your head get thinner including back and sides and then return to normal agian ? Do you happen to have pics of this shed ?

Hair on the sides and back thinned a little but nothing noticable, it was the top and front which thinned the most!, not nice.

astros148 said:
what dosage of finasteride did you take?

I started off taking 1mg every 3rd day due to sides, then i increased to every other day and now in the last month I have started taking daily with no side effects as yet. Semen is possible a little watery at times, but my sex drives is through the roof... no complaints from the girlfriend though.

tooyoungforthiscrap said:
Awesome response, definitely thicker.

You used minoxidil only on the hairline?

Yes, only use it on the hairline.. I spray it into the front, then lean my head back, as it dissolves it runs across my head, i then massage my head, let it dry and add my products.

tooyoungforthiscrap

Established Member
Reaction score

jimjams said:
Yes, only use it on the hairline.. I spray it into the front, then lean my head back, as it dissolves it runs across my head, i then massage my head, let it dry and add my products.

Interesting, but I'm still a little confused. Does this mean the minoxidil made its way across your entire scalp? Or did it thicken in the mid/crown just with finasteride alone? I ask because I'm thin diffuse all over.

jimjams

Reaction score

tooyoungforthiscrap said:
jimjams said:

Interesting, but I'm still a little confused. Does this mean the minoxidil made its way across your entire scalp? Or did it thicken in the mid/crown just with finasteride alone? I ask because I'm thin diffuse all over.

Well, what I do is I put it in the hair line, so it is a long streak of foam. I then hold my head backwards, and as it dissolves it trickles back across my scalp, i can feel it and rub it in as it happens. Especially now, because my hair has got thicker, it was harder to put in. That aside though, I have not been on the minoxidil that long, and don't use it religiously, missing a few days here and there. So, I think the finasteride and Nizoral alone have made the biggest impact.

jimjams

Reaction score
Re: Jimjams's Story - ( Big 3 - The real deal!)

Quick update. The last week has been a major shed so my hair is looking and feeling like sh*t. Quite a considerable amount coming out after washing my hair, I suppose I just have to ride it out but my god it is freaking me out. :(

blink

Established Member
Reaction score

where you are getting you propecia from?

jimjams

Reaction score

blink said:
where you are getting you propecia from?

I am from the UK so get it fromo an online doctor call Dr Thom, which is part of Lloyds Pharmacy. I order online then go pick it up from my local one.

jimjams

Reaction score

shed shed shed shed :(

Near on 7 mths of constant Propecia, nizoral and on and off minoxidil Foam.... appears like I am continuing to recede at the front and have less density. I am starting to think that its not working at all..... :( DAMN HAIRLOSS! One of gods cruel tricks, they say the human body is built perfectly.... I think this is a major flaw in his design, just goes to show that even nature makes mistakes. lol

I have attached some pics, but if you want to see more I have been capturing them for the last year so got plenty.

Look forward to your comments, as am wondering how normal a shed is and how long till it grows back? Is it 3 - 4 mths?

Attachments

• DSC03277.JPG
    DSC03277.JPG
    224.8 KB · Views: 270
  • DSC03291.JPG
    DSC03291.JPG
    344.4 KB · Views: 267
  • DSC03295.JPG
    DSC03295.JPG
    236.9 KB · Views: 241

Bombarie

Banned
Reaction score
Re: Jimjams's Story - ( Big 3 - up down UP.... then down again

looks fine by me! perfect hairline dude!

jimjams

Reaction score
Re: Jimjams's Story - ( Big 3 - up down UP.... then down again

Thanks mate, but although it may look better it has actually got considerbly worse and if it continues falling at this rate I am going to lose some serious hair! I am literally pulling out about 30 - 40 hairs with just my hands, and that does not include the several hundred I lost after washing it. I think it is a shed but hard to tell.

On my left temple I can see what is now a pretty noticable bald patch, it has got progressively worse and feels like I am actually speeding up the balding process. My dad had a lot of frontal hairloss by 42, thats 12 years for me, but at this rate I will reach that in 1 - 2 years. Is it possible that we speed the process up with these drugs? Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Basically, I had one high, since then its just got worse.