JDW's Story - (with pics)

sphlanx2006

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Get minoxidil and retin-a in the game, and you are soon posting at success stories.

lain

Established Member
Reaction score
Hmm if ur hair had a funny reaction to finasteride, then maybe staying off will bring it back to where it was before. This way u will be sure.

But then where to from there? minoxidil will work better with some DHT blocker, so why not try dutasteride aswell?

JDW

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
thabks guys but what if I come off finasteride and it doesnt come back?!

haunted-ballroom

Experienced Member
Reaction score
JDW said:
thabks guys but what if I come off finasteride and it doesnt come back?!

Rogaine should help fill out the thin spots as its not slick bald. Also, maybe look into revivogen... I dont really know from experience but ive read it can be a good alternative to propecia if you cant take propecia for whatever reason.

Goingat20

Reaction score
sphlanx2006 said:
Get minoxidil and retin-a in the game, and you are soon posting at success stories.

hey sphlanx2006

what makes you say that? do you think it could cause another shed? Ive been using minoxidil for a while with no real success, maybe its time to add the retin-a

G

JDW, did you see a doctor and asked him what he thinks about your hairs lost by Proscar? You story is strange and I don´t know of any good advices to give. In your situation I would go for a topical regimen consisting of spironolactone cream, Rogaine foam and Nizoral shampoo.

JDW

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I went to a derm who advised me to stop but then again how do I stand any chance of getting back to baseline if I stop?!
I'm considering adding oral spironolactone into the mix to see if the increased testosterone from finasteride was my problem...

My local GP didn't even know what proscar was and told me "there is nothing that can be done about hairloss"

:lol:

G

JDW said:
My local GP didn't even know what proscar was and told me "there is nothing that can be done about hairloss"

:lol:

Yeah, I have heard this numerous times. What a nice "doctor" you have....... :roll:

Oral spironolactone is an option, but I didn´t want to advise it too because of the risk of sides and I don´t want to responsible for anyone´s gyno or something. Do your reading and then make a decision. Start at a low dosage of maybe 50 mg. I am also planning to add it to my regimen if I start losing ground one day.

JDW

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks man. Yeah I think we have more idea about hair loss medications than most doctors and even some derms!!!

haha

Anyway yeah I've been doing a lot of research on oral spironolactone and will probably start off at 25mg and then if I tolerate this go up to 50mg and then
prob 100mg until I see sides. As soon as I get anything too bad off it I will step down a level again. Hey at least if I do get sides I can quit it.

Are there any oral spironolactone horror stories that you've seen as all I have come across seem to be positive.

G

JDW said:
Are there any oral spironolactone horror stories that you've seen as all I have come across seem to be positive.

yep, same for me (I guess we have read the same stories). This is why I consider OS as a future option. I would start at 25mg as well and maybe go up to 50mg later.

JDW

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
okay I'm going through another traumatic shedding period, this after 3 months of stability... hundreds of ahirs coming out suddenly... man, I'm so far away from baseline and it's getting worse and worse :(

Ten months on finasteride and my loss is so aggresive since I started.
After a lot of research and asking advice on here I've just ordered some spironolactone whichI plan to take orally at 50mg a day.
I will keep people updated with my progress on this.

The only positives at the moment are my temples are covered in peach fuzz vellous hairs from the minoxidil foam. hopefully they will turn into stronger hairs asone or two of them are already.

stay positive.

Beethoven

Established Member
Reaction score
Maybe you should consider topical spironolactone as backup in case oral will cause you sides?
Also what about Nizoral shampoo? can also help in the fight against DHT.

Good luck! I'm really hoping things will improve for you!

JDW

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
thanks a lot man.
I'll keep everyone updated. If the sides start to kick in I'm out of there with the spironolactone... let's see what happens. Maybe it'll help the finasteride to work for me as the two compliment each other tackling male pattern baldness in different ways.

fingers crossed for something. Just maintenance would be great right now.

IBM

Reaction score
I've also ordered Spironolactone (Aldolactone) and i'll take 50 mg/day.

haunted-ballroom

Experienced Member
Reaction score
IBM said:

On top of or instead of finasteride?

JDW, I really hope you get the success your looking for, you seem to have had a very rough time of it with these sheds. Good luck

IBM

Reaction score
haunted-ballroom said:
IBM said:

On top of or instead of finasteride?

JDW, I really hope you get the success your looking for, you seem to have had a very rough time of it with these sheds. Good luck

with finasteride...

there's other medicine that might be worth trying like flutamide.

IBM

Reaction score
From Wikipedia:
Antiandrogens: Bicalutamide, Cyproterone, Flutamide, Nilutamide, Spironolactone

JDW

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Ok so my spironolactone finally came through, there were problems with the card expiry date and I have it in front of me.

An update to my situation is that I'm continuing to shed again at a f*****g alarming rate and losing so much ground :(

haha It's strange, I was so confident about starting the spironolactone but now that I have it here in front of me I'm suddenly anxious about taking it even though my hair is in a f*****g terrible state.
So gutted that I seem to be a non responder to finasteride...damn shame.
Will decide whether to take the spironolactone in the next few days, hopefully either way I make the right choice!
good luck to everyone else.

klink

Experienced Member
Reaction score
First off, download Irfanview 3.99 and learn how to resize your pics, it's not hard.

Second, you might have a shed from any hair product, so it could be that, and it could be just that you are losing more hair.

I vote big3, that way you can know for sure that you are doing most of what you can do to keep and regrow, and fix your hair.