Jblig' s Story

jblig

Established Member
Reaction score
OK, I believe that I began receding in high school but it appeared simply to be a natural mature hairline. I am 24 and became uncomfortable with my hairloss roughly a year ago. I have pretty much always had some recession but I began getting diffisusion in the front about a year ago. I am currently taking propecia,nizoral and folligen. I am not ready to be committed to minoxidil quite yet but will if all else fails...

Update: 3-26-04
Im am currently on month 7 0f propecia and nizoral, my hair hasn't improved, actually its gotten a bit worse. I havent experienced any side effects. I am looking forward to the next 5 mos. to see if this regimin will work for me. I will give it the full year and see how it goes.

DovF

Reaction score
External and internal treatments

You are fine with taking propecia but concerned about Minoxidil and Revivogen? :shock:

Propecia is a 5-Alpha reductace inhibitor that is mainly active in your gonads. It affects your entire endocrine system, including the feedback mechanisms. You end up changing not only DHT-1 levels but also levels of other hormones.
I would only take it or Avodart for a prostate problem. Even then, I would be checked out for prostate cancer first. (Evidently, taking Propecia can hasten the spread of a malignant tumor) :x

Minoxidil is a vasodialator. It may work by increasing blood supply to the hair follicle.
Revivogen looks like a good anti-DHT shampoo. I may give it a try.

Currently, I use a combination of Retin-A and Minoxidil from Dr. Lewenbrg. Retin-A looks good in the lab. I experienced good regrowth.

I'd like to do better and to help my fellow sufferer of premature alopecia. 8)

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
Re: External and internal treatments

DovF said:
(Evidently, taking Propecia can hasten the spread of a malignant tumor)
Just to make a small correction, finasteride was shown to hasten the spread of certain types of prostate cancer, not all types. Not that its much consolation, but in general, if you have a precancerous condition, finasteride is still considered a very effective preventative from developing prostate cancer and has been used as a preventative for many years.

HairLossTalk.com

jblig

Established Member
Reaction score
no its not that im concerned with taking those I just want to see what the propecia can do on its own first before my hair becomes dependant on multiple products...

jblig

Established Member
Reaction score
update

Well I am currently using 5% minoxidil twice a day, propecia and nizoral. I dropped the folligen, it was a waste of time and money. I believe my hair is doing pretty well, I have been using minoxidil for a couple of months now and all is well, I can see some solid growth spawned by the minoxidil, I am looking forward to the next couple of months......thanks.........