Jayfro's story (with pics)

jayfro

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've been browsing these forums for some time now, and thought I'd introduce myself. I'm 23, and I've always had very thick hair (although that may soon change). I've recently noticed that I was balding around the top of my head. Luckily(?!?!), the thinning has been confined to there, and my hairline has remained unchanged for years. Here's a pic of my face:
4dlvs0m.jpg

I actually had no idea that my hair was thinning at all until my mom pointed it out to me in October at Thanksgiving (I'm Canadian). From the front, I can't see any baldness. The only real way is with an elaborate set up of mirrors or a camera. This pic is from January, under some bright bathroom lights.
2cep2t1.jpg

So after some weeks of denial, I decided to order some fincar and have been taking quarters everyday since January 1st. It's still early goings, but I did notice that an increased number of miniaturized hairs had been falling out after starting. It's slowed down somewhat, and now the shedding is I guess back to "normal levels" -- though after realizing that you are balding, it's hard to feel comfortable at all when any hair is being shed.

Anyway, I'll try to do some updates along the journey. I'm going back to school next September, and it would be nice to get this off my mind by then. Hopefully I'll at least maintain what I have until then. Good luck everyone!

BALD IS BEAUTIFUL

Established Member
Reaction score
Sound and look like your fincar is working.You caught it early so adding minoxidil is not necessary but use nizoral 3x week.

jayfro

Reaction score
Thanks for reminding me bald is beautiful. In addition to the finasteride, I use Nizoral 2% every other day.

flimflam

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Hello hello

well, I guess you are quite lucky as the area you're thinning in is the 'easiest' to repair. finasteride alone should sort you out, and september is a realistic timescale to see some results. if you're worried about how it looks in the meantime, a concealer will do a great job of hiding the thinning.

lucky you've still got your hairline! f****r :p

good luck an' all. try not to get obsessed, staying away from this forum helps with that haha..

YoungAndThin

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey, I've got the same problem as you. I seem to be primarily losing hair on my crown/vertex area. I was on Propecia for about a year and it seemed to slow the down the loss but it was getting too pricey for me ever month.

I'm Canadian also and haven't been able to find a cheap online pharmacy that ships to Canada to order finasteride. Where do you get yours?

jayfro

Reaction score
Hey YoungAndThin,

I ordered my fincar from evopharmacy, but I can't get back on their site for some reason. There was a thread with a few names of online pharmacies, and I think there was more than one that shipped to Canada. Fincar is definitely the way to go for the budget-conscious -- I was surprised at how cheap it was.

TheDude

Reaction score
Jayfro, you definitely caught it early. You should have no problem maintaining and thickening what you have.

I've been on finasteride for about 3 weeks now too. And to be honest I see a little shed but not alot I guess. I have alot of hair still so I can live with shed if it ends up filling in months down the road. For the life of me, I can't figure out how some people estimate how many hairs they lose in a day. I maybe lose 5-15 in the shower washing my hair when I'm paying attention to it. And probably 5-10 when I'm fixing it in the morning. But after that, how the hell do you determine how many hairs you lose a day?

Also, Jayfro, how much was your fincar?

Lorenzo_91

Established Member
Reaction score
I really like your hairline. Your hair is awesome, nobody could ever tell you are thinning.

Did you ever have sides, or no way right.

jayfro

Reaction score
TheDude: I'm not so sure about the shedding thing myself. I can't be sure if the shed actually increased or if it was merely my awareness about hair loss that changed. I don't really count the exact number of hairs that fall out...that's a road to paranoia that I'm trying to avoid. The fincar, when I bought it was 7.00 USD per 10 pack strip (40 doses of 1.25mg).

Lorenzo_91: I like my hairline too, I really hope I don't lose it. To be honest though, in the grand scheme of things, I would trade my thinning crown for slight recession in a heart beat. I think your hairline suits you quite nicely. As for sides, I haven't experienced any.

TheDude

Reaction score
jayfro said:
TheDude: I'm not so sure about the shedding thing myself. I can't be sure if the shed actually increased or if it was merely my awareness about hair loss that changed. I don't really count the exact number of hairs that fall out...that's a road to paranoia that I'm trying to avoid. The fincar, when I bought it was 7.00 USD per 10 pack strip (40 doses of 1.25mg).

Yeah, my thing is, I know everyone sheds and loses hair everyday. Why sit there and analyze and keep track of it when they are going to fall out anyway? Wow, I frickin' paid 160 dollars for a 3 month supply of Finpecia(1mg finasteride). Where did you purchase the fincar? I guess I didn't do my research. :roll:

jayfro

Reaction score
TheDude said:
Yeah, my thing is, I know everyone sheds and loses hair everyday. Why sit there and analyze and keep track of it when they are going to fall out anyway? Wow, I frickin' paid 160 dollars for a 3 month supply of Finpecia(1mg finasteride). Where did you purchase the fincar? I guess I didn't do my research. :roll:
I think the consensus here is that a lot of money can be saved by buying the finasteride that is marketed to BPH patients (i.e. 5 mg) whether it's Merck (Proscar) or generic (i.e. Cipla's Fincar). A few people are skeptical of the generic brands, but I think most will attest to the fact that if the online pharmacy is on the level, and the pills don't look like sweaty tic-tacs, you're probably not getting fakes (I bought mine from evopharmacy).