Jack23's Story

Jack23

Reaction score
Hi there,

I have been reading the posts on this site for a couple of days and figured it was about time to introduce myself.

I am a 23 yr old university student and have been experiencing fairly slow hair loss at the temples for a couple of years now. Recently I have begun to realize that I MAY GO BALD! I am not too keen on this idea and figure I'll do something about it. As it stands I am probably a strong Norwood 2 and have extremely thick hair. I would very much like it to stay that way and feel that I should act now as my dad was maybe a Norwood 5 at the time of his death (52, due to an accident) and my maternal grandfather puts Jean-Luc Picard to shame.

I have been thinking about avoiding Propecia/Minoxidil and sticking to naturals in a huge cocktail. I have read interesting stuff on Saw Palmetto, Flax, Green tea, Beta Sisterol et al. but I am unsure on the course of action due to the massive inconvience of having to take numerous pills and the potential lack of efficacy. I was wondering what advice you guys have to give. Start on the drugs and jump in with both feet or test the waters with herbal stuff first?

Also as an aside, this HM stuff sounds pretty sweet, even if it is a long way off.

Anyways, thanks for the great information thus far and I will post pictures shortly.

Siberian

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: My story

The catch is there's no evidence whatsoever that the herbals, especially Saw Palmetto, will help prevent hairloss. You could even do more damage than good to your health in general if you're not careful.

I understand the temptation. I have a bottle of unused Saw Palmetto myself, as my initial research made it sound promising. BUt once you get past the advertising presented as "clinical research," you'll start to see it's not likely to help. It MIGHT, as there's no evidence saying it WON'T either. But I can't afford to lose more hair as an experimental subject, lol.

On the other hand, Propecia does work in the vast majority of men. Side effects are rare, usually go go away within a few months if one continues taking it, and always go away (except perhaps for breast enlargement) if one simply stops.

A couple good, basic things to do regardless are nizoral (2% preferred) and a good multivitamin (just to eliminate/reduce possible nutritional problems). Although the effects are minimal, it'll probably do more to slow hair loss than any "herbal cocktail."

Jack23

Reaction score
Yeah, I have read very little to prove the effectiveness of anything other than the "big 3". I am just a bit worried about long term health problems of propecia (and herbal supplements for that matter). I think I need to gether more information before I do anything.

Anyways, here are a couple of pictures to give you an idea of what is going on.

IMG_0246.jpg

IMG_0242.jpg

IMG_0255.jpg

outgrowth

Established Member
Reaction score
I also think herbals won't do much, specially Saw Palmetto. Go for Propecia buddy, it's the best you can do if you want to maintain. Side effects, as was said, are RARE. Don't be paranoid about it and you'll be cool. :wink:

Jack23

Reaction score
Okay...I after some research, I think I will get on the meds. Seems a lot of people are using the Nizoral Shampoo so I went out and got some of the 2% (available over the counter in Canada I guess) and then I am going to get some Propecia. I think I will avoid the Minoxidil as it seems to be a huge hassle and it is always good to have something else to fall back on.

So then another question.

Does anybody know a good internet pharmacy that can ship generic propecia to Canada? I am going to talk to my doctor and see what he says before starting anything out but I would rather not pay for the really high cost at the drug store as I am already a starving student.

Thanks again

SarcasticHorse

Reaction score
Hey man, I'm almost 23 myself, also a college student, and I have about the same amount of hairloss as you do, judging by your temples (mine might be a tad worse).

I've been on propecia for about 7 months now and it seems to have fully halted my loss. I've using Nizoral 1% and minoxidil 5% for almost two months and I'm starting to get little thin hairs on my hairline. Its not much, but I'm optimistic it'll turn into something in the long run.

I'd definately go for at least the propecia...no sides for me. I tried saw palmetto and other natural stuff, but the meds really work. Maybe throw in some soy and green tea since that stuff's great for ya regardless, but go with the meds man.

Jack23

Reaction score
Okay, I have an appointment with the GP scheduled for the end of the month (to coincide with a scheduled physical) to talk about this hair thing. I was thinking about going in to a walk-in clinic to talk with the Doctor there because my guy is probably not going to be sympathetic, because he is a hard-*** who is himself bald, but I figure the worst he can do is say he won't prescribe it and laugh me out of his office. If that happens, I can just go to the walk-in.

So far, I have got a bottle of 2% Nizoral and am using it 2 times a week. It is a pretty sweet shampoo and, while I haven't regrown any of my hair, it has reduced my scalp itch and made my hair WAY less oily and super fluffy.

Also, I am trying to not stress every hair I see hit the computer keyboard or is stuck to the shower wall. I also have started taking a decent multi-vit and drinking some green tea or having some capsules each day (I really don't like the taste of the stuff)

While my hair loss isn't socially noticable, and neither my gf nor any of my friends have commented (and trust me the friends would comment, they are merciless) I sometimes do spend longer than I should looking in the mirror and fretting. I need to focus and realize that a stop loss situation would be ideal, but if it doesn't happen, it doesn't happen. I will just be more grist for the mill at the highschool reunion (who got bald, fat, etc), that is unless the HM people stick to their timeline. :p

Hey SarcasticHorse, do you have any pictures of your situation. I saw your original post and your 4 month propecia update. Looking good bud. If you have anything new that would be awesome, as you are very right about our hair patterns being quite similar.

Anyways, stay strong boys, we are all in this together.