i've lost all faith in doctors...

jsmith

Reaction score
i went to a respected dermatologist today who specializes in hair loss (and who i waited quite a while to get an appointment with) and was really amazed at how unhelpful he was. :-x

he started off the visit with his 'dht is the root of all evil in the body' speech before i could even tell him that i had tried propecia for two months and had to stop because of sides. then when he finally listened long enough for me to tell him this, after knowing that finasteride caused me sides, he actually started talking about taking dutasteride!!! and after this he suggested saw palmetto...

in the end he tried to push me to use some of his own topical formulations- a topical finasteride solution and a super-strength minoxidil (he claims that 5% is too weak... even dr. lee, though he sells a 15% minoxidil advises that 5% is almost always strong enough...) i couldn't believe how bad this guy was...

alright, that's my rant for now. i am so pissed off...

G

What was the concentration of minoxidil in his formula? At least he knew a thing or two about combatting hairloss, though his approach isn't the best for you...

Cornholio

Established Member
Reaction score
He probably runs thru the same spiel every 15 minutes all day long... He got into his routine before he listened. That was his mistake. Still, it makes no sense to go to a "expert" if you believe you have acquired the knowledge to judge which treatments you will and will not accept already and do not put value in his training and experience as a hair expert... ... If you have already read enough to doubt his beliefs then you don't need him : ) Since you have decided to avoid oral meds due to side-effects read more about topicals and become your own "expert." You can choose and buy them for yourself. In the end you will get better results.

PS- here is a link to a topical forum on another site... I post it just because discussion on topicals is separated from other topics... look back thru previous posts and you will find a lot of options discussed.
http://www.hairsite4.com/dc/dcboard.php ... cs&forum=8

Good Luck.

gonna_win

Experienced Member
Reaction score
jsmith said:
i went to a respected dermatologist today who specializes in hair loss (and who i waited quite a while to get an appointment with) and was really amazed at how unhelpful he was. :-x

he started off the visit with his 'dht is the root of all evil in the body' speech before i could even tell him that i had tried propecia for two months and had to stop because of sides. then when he finally listened long enough for me to tell him this, after knowing that finasteride caused me sides, he actually started talking about taking dutasteride!!! and after this he suggested saw palmetto...

in the end he tried to push me to use some of his own topical formulations- a topical finasteride solution and a super-strength minoxidil (he claims that 5% is too weak... even dr. lee, though he sells a 15% minoxidil advises that 5% is almost always strong enough...) i couldn't believe how bad this guy was...

So because 1 guy is a fool that makes everyone a fool?

global

Experienced Member
Reaction score
It seems his patient approach is lacking but he seems to be on the right track at least, after all, how many docs would be willing to prescribe dutasteride?

A lot won't even prescribe finasteride.

willywonka

Established Member
Reaction score
I had the same problem back in 98' when the Doctor told me to just deal with it!!! :-x He didn't even recommend minoxidil 2%!!! :-x Well established docs have to much clientel to take care of to keep an upper hand on the hair loss solution progress being made. Any Doctor who suggests saw palmetto is stupid.

ShedMaster

Reaction score
gonna_win said:
jsmith said:

maybe this wasn't his first derm? a lot of people on here have had disappointing experiences with dermatoligists that didn't know anything about hairloss. I think your average poster on here knows more then your average doctor out there.

willywonka

Established Member
Reaction score
ShedMaster said:
gonna_win said:
jsmith said:

maybe this wasn't his first derm? a lot of people on here have had disappointing experiences with dermatoligists that didn't know anything about hairloss. I think your average poster on here knows more then your average doctor out there.
Junior and senior posters have more knowledge than docs about hair loss.

jsmith

Reaction score
ShedMaster said:

yep, that's right, this wasn't my first derm and i specifically went to this guy because he specializes in hair. and it wasn't the only negative experience i've had with doctors lately. it just seems like it's extremely difficult to find a doctor who is both knowledgeable and able to listen for more than 10 seconds.

global said:
It seems his patient approach is lacking but he seems to be on the right track at least, after all, how many docs would be willing to prescribe dutasteride?

A lot won't even prescribe finasteride.

ok, maybe it's good that he's willing to prescribe it, but to even mention dutasteride to someone who couldn't handle finasteride is absolutely crazy. and more than that, to present propecia without mentioning any of the possible negatives (as he did in the beginning) is unethical. if i didn't have any other knowledge and had just talked to him, i would have gone away from his office thinking that if i took propecia not only would i keep a full head of hair forever, but i would never get another pimple or unwanted body hair, would never have high cholesterol, and would never get prostate cancer. certainly, propecia is the best drug for hairloss and most likely very safe. but to present such a simplified positive picture of it is misleading.

badasshairday said:
What was the concentration of minoxidil in his formula? At least he knew a thing or two about combatting hairloss, though his approach isn't the best for you...

i don't know what the concentration was because he didn't say and i knew i wasn't going to take it, so i didn't bother to ask. i went to him so that he could evaluate some of the other treatments out there for me, not so he could lock me into giving him a consulting fee every month to get another bottle of high strength minoxidil. and sure he knows something about hair loss, but then again he suggested saw palmetto, so i can't really trust anything else he suggests unconditionally.

Lizzad

Experienced Member
Reaction score
It's your own fault for seeing a derm, everyone knows thats just money down the toilet if you have male pattern baldness.