I've Just Had An Fue Procedure With Dr Reys

michel sapin

My Regimen
Reaction score
at least you look Norwood 0 man, perfectly straight hairline . And great skin quality

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
Not even close to Norwood 0. I was 2.5, now I'm 2 with a naturally giant forehead, thin transplanted hairline, decent density elsewhere and no temple points. Can't do anything about my head shape, temple points were an oversight and should have been done. My grafts were transplanted at around the upper limit balancing density and survival rate. You can get 60 or 70 FU but survival rates are lower so more hair is wasted.

Roberto_72

My Regimen
Reaction score
To me it doesn't look bad at all.

If you comb it with a ponytail or side part it will look very good. The "inflated" look of the first picture a bit less. You have to pack the hair together and it will look like you never lost hair.

resu

Reaction score
I agree, you also can't use such harsh light to judge the outcome of your surgery.

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
I can't really comb it back or tie it back, the frontal density is too low and totally exposed when tied back. What I could do is comb forward or do a sideways comb over but I could do that before my hair transplant! The reason why I got the hair transplant is so I could stop hiding my hairline. If I still have to hide it and worry about a random gust of wind, then my hair transplant really didn't make any difference at all!
It's still earlyish days, just over 6 months, still a chance I'll have sufficient density, but it will continue to be worrying until that time.

I've recently been advised that with fine hair I should have got at least 60 FU per cm2.

I wanted to show my hair under both harsh lines got and low light. Obviously in real life, we all have to face bright sunny days and harsh lighting so it shouldn't be ignored in relation to a hair transplant.

shookwun

Reaction score
I can't really comb it back or tie it back, the frontal density is too low and totally exposed when tied back. What I could do is comb forward or do a sideways comb over but I could do that before my hair transplant! The reason why I got the hair transplant is so I could stop hiding my hairline. If I still have to hide it and worry about a random gust of wind, then my hair transplant really didn't make any difference at all!
It's still earlyish days, just over 6 months, still a chance I'll have sufficient density, but it will continue to be worrying until that time.

I've recently been advised that with fine hair I should have got at least 60 FU per cm2.

I wanted to show my hair under both harsh lines got and low light. Obviously in real life, we all have to face bright sunny days and harsh lighting so it shouldn't be ignored in relation to a hair transplant.

There is a certain limit of dense packing that can be accomplished without compromising your native hair. He provided a dense pack, but unfortunately the grafts can only be so close without puting your other hairs at risk for transaction, and effecting healing capabilities for the hair that was recently transplanted, without compromising blood supply to surrounding hairs, and putting new grafts at risk. Density, scalp laxity, age, technique, tools, and potential for future loss are just a few variables that can impact the doctors technique, and your results.

As someone with fine hair characteristics i can tell you first hand that you will need additional to work to go over the surrounding area once these recent grafts are fully anchored, and terminal. Another round about to dense pack around the surrounding grafts will give you the density, and result you wish to achieve.

to many people jump into hair transplants with misguided thoughts, annd expectations. Including myself, who was let down by his result, and continued hair loss. Despite reinforcing my frontal third, I still had a lot of ground to recover, and go over. You have mentioned 60 FU per cm2, but I can assure you that you wont achieve this due to your hair characteristics. from your pictures that you provided, and under harsh lighting I would say you have achieved around 40 FU per cm2 which is considered borderline thinning. At this stage, hair parting, and lighting can vary the aesthetic outcome. Dr Shapiro conveys the stages, and transition of FU per cm2, and its effects on our own, and others perception.

As for Dr Reye, I don't understand his full reasoning behind your transplant, but 800 grafts is far to little. a half inch advancement of the hairline on a slick scalp can expect 1500 grafts. But based on your hair:graft ratio you do not have fine hair infact, it's borderline average. People with otherwise poor densities will not have a surplus of 3's, and 2's for that matter. The nature of Androgenetic Alopecia makes 3's, and 2s eventually becomes 1st before vellus, which is known as miniaturization. Given your hair characteristics, and hair numbers I would say you have a relatively healthy scalp and donor area that is DHT resistant.

Our bodies all react differently, an some people simpy do not respond well to hair transplants. which can result in skinny, weak root hairs after a FUE. The body seems to reject the idea of providing a fatty graft, and is shocked into a weak outcome once transplanted. Dr Lindsay also highlights on this during his modified FUE cases with people who had prior transplants that didn't result in optimal density, and results. Which seems to be the case for those with fine hair, and weak roots. Which leads me to my prior posting behind one transplant is almost never enough from a density stand point. We can look at the first transplants the reconstruction, and foundation to hair restoration. An additional procedure is almost always needed for providing density, and refinement.

NORMAL DENSITY (80-100FUCM2): Normal Density is usually 80 to 100 FU/CM2. Some patients can have higher or lower densities

UNDETECTABLE HAIR LOSS (50-80 FU/CM2): For most patients as they decrease from 80 to 50 FU/CM2 their hair still looks full under most situations. A patient does notice any thinning at this phase but, from a practical standpoint the hair loss is “undetectable” . Hair characteristics influence at what point hair loss will be detectable. Patient with very poor hair characteristics may notice thinning earlier at 55-60 FU/CM. On the other hand, patients with great characteristics may not notice thinning unit they have only 40 FU/CM2.

*THRESHOLD 1

Early Thinning or (25-50 Fu/cm2): In general our hair begins to look thin when we drop below ~ 50FU/CM2. This is the point when a person looks in the mirror one day and he wonders if his hair is looking thin and the next day it looks fine. I call this the phase of “situational” hair loss hair loss t because it is the point where the hair begins to look thin under different situations. For example the hair looks full when dry but thin when wet. Or hair looks full in low light but thin under bright light. During this phase people can do things to camouflage the thinning like blow dry their hair. As one moves from 50 FU/CM down to 25 FU/CM the number of situations during which the hair appears thin increase

**THRESHOLD 2

Late Thinning ( 10-25 FU/CM2): When a patient drops below 20 to 25 FU/DM2 the basically look thin all the time. They still look like they have hair but it is see through all the time. When they drop below 10 FU/CM for all practical purpose they look bald.

thinning.jpg

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah Ive mentally prepared myself for a second hair transplant. May actually be better in a way, I'd imagine two small sessions a year apart would give better survival rates than a single larger session.
He didn't do 60 FU, it was 50. But yeah, doesn't look like 50 yet.

At 6 and a half months can I expect new hairs to sprout or mostly just thickening from now?

I can almost taste it, in some lighting it already looks like I'm not balding anymore. In other lighting it's actually more obvious that I'm balding now, people notice a thin see through hairline a lot more than they do a high, receded one.

resu

Reaction score
Do a side part and the thinning will not be as fully visible, or just cut your hair and use the sides to cover the thinning if it bothers you. There's nothing else other than wait for the full results and do another procedure. I think it looks fine under normal light but a photo is just a photo.

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
I didn't get a hair transplant just to do a comb over... I don't have the head shape for it either. I'm just going to hope that the density increases in the next few months and if not then cut it short and comb forward or something.

Can I expect many new hairs to sprout in the next few months?

shookwun

Reaction score
Yeah Ive mentally prepared myself for a second hair transplant. May actually be better in a way, I'd imagine two small sessions a year apart would give better survival rates than a single larger session.
He didn't do 60 FU, it was 50. But yeah, doesn't look like 50 yet.

At 6 and a half months can I expect new hairs to sprout or mostly just thickening from now?

I can almost taste it, in some lighting it already looks like I'm not balding anymore. In other lighting it's actually more obvious that I'm balding now, people notice a thin see through hairline a lot more than they do a high, receded one.
no. highly doubt you will see any hair sprouts after 7 months.

Hai starts to sprout around 10-12k weeks post operation. 24-28 6-7 months all hair has sprouted.

just hair thickening, maturation, and pigmentation strengthening. Hair will also start to take on native characteristics - flow, wave, and blend.

six months is early, and you will definitely have a big increase in density, and over all appearance in the next 6 months. however, achieving more coverage is not going to happen. what you see will just become stronger in structure.

resu

Reaction score
A lot of photos of hair transplant results are actually combovers if you look closely, you have to adjust your expectations.

shookwun

Reaction score
A lot of photos of hair transplant results are actually combovers if you look closely, you have to adjust your expectations.
side part, and layerinng are a joke

what you want to see is the hair combed straight forward to see all transparencies in density, and areas that are other balding. when i side part my hair it looks dense because of the layering effect. however, if i comb it forward you see the diffuse, terminal and affected areas.

that and a hair pull back in a relax manner can give us an idea of what transplants can achieve.

ultimately you want to see what the hair looks like outside in natural sun light. the rest is bullshit.

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
Bummer... Well I appreciate the honest responses, cheers.
So basically it's going to look situationally good/bad depending on lighting and whether or not I do a comb over. Not exactly what I was hoping for...
My density is pretty decent behind my hairline so I guess I'll just have to cut it shorter and comb forward to later/add density. Definitely can't do a side part comb over.
Just emailed Dr De Reys, still have over 700 grafts paid for so maybe he can add a bit more density and free up more styling options.

shookwun

Reaction score
it depends man... 6 months from now you could be delighted with the result.

Based on your pictures, it isn't a failure. Will just need additional density added in the future.

my first procedure was a success, but just didnt provide enough density given my hair characteristics.