I’ve been on finasteride for over a year and it’s not working. What do I do? Pic included

mexica2

My Regimen
Reaction score
I’ve been on finasteride for a little over a year now and I’m still shedding a ton of hairs in the shower and when I brush. I thought finasteride was supposed to stop the shedding and it seems like I’m losing more than ever. I’m so frustrated and I don’t know what to do at this point .

I attached a picture of all the hair I collected. I had about 20 other hairs that I didn’t collect. I’m sure there more even more hairs that went down the drain went I rinsed.

Shedding:
Hair when dry:

SwagDaddyMooney

My Regimen
Reaction score
Do you have pics of you hair a year ago? The shedding has stayed the same, but how has your hair quality been?

Selb

My Regimen
Reaction score
Doesn’t look like your hair is worse off but it’s also long and you’re parting it differently so it might be hidden. If you want more regrowth or thickness maybe try minoxidil? The shedding sometimes comes and goes I’ve heard but it doesn’t necessarily mean your hair is losing ground

mexica2

My Regimen
Reaction score
Doesn’t look like your hair is worse off but it’s also long and you’re parting it differently so it might be hidden. If you want more regrowth or thickness maybe try minoxidil? The shedding sometimes comes and goes I’ve heard but it doesn’t necessarily mean your hair is losing ground
I'm more concerned about the shedding. How do I stop the shedding?

Selb

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm more concerned about the shedding. How do I stop the shedding?
Since this has happened before propecia it’s probably related to something else. Are you losing more than like 50 in the shower? It’s normal over the course of the day to lose 100 or so hairs.

Also, how long over the years have you been shedding like this?

I used to shed a lot of hair in the shower even before I was thinning, but I guess that’s gotten much better recently. I take a daily multivitamin, use rogaine once a day, and have an oil mask once a day with black seed oil, olive oil, castor oil, etc. i also put magnesium on my scalp and take MSM, green tea, supplements. I’m not sure what stopped the shedding but if I had to guess it was probably the rogaine

mexica2

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes, I'm losing way more than 50 hairs in the shower. Probably close to 100.

I honestly can't remember how long I've been shedding like this. I thought Rogaine only grew back hair, and the Finasteride was supposed to stop the shedding and hair fall.

Selb

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes, I'm losing way more than 50 hairs in the shower. Probably close to 100.

I honestly can't remember how long I've been shedding like this. I thought Rogaine only grew back hair, and the Finasteride was supposed to stop the shedding and hair fall.
I think rogaine extends the cycle of a hair before it falls out, so it reduces shedding or at least delays it somewhat. Maybe you can talk to your dermatologist about your shedding? I think if you’ve always been shedding like this then I wouldn’t be too worried, it might mean you need more of a vitamin. Only if you see more scalp/lose ground on the hairline would I start to be concerned.

centurie

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Some people’s shedding never stops, like myself and maybe you. It doesn’t mean treatments are ineffective, if you aren’t noticing noticeable changes in your hair then just ignore it.

bc1

My Regimen
Reaction score
holy sh*t hahahha this looks EXACTLY like my situation, even have the same hair

Some people’s shedding never stops, like myself and maybe you. It doesn’t mean treatments are ineffective, if you aren’t noticing noticeable changes in your hair then just ignore it.
Is this really true?

centurie

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
holy sh*t hahahha this looks EXACTLY like my situation, even have the same hair

Is this really true?
Yes I'm currently heavily shedding ATM which is to be expected as i usually shed more hair around this time of year.

This used to really freak me out but after 6 years on treatments you get used to it haha.