It's official: I need to lose weight.

tembo

Established Member
Reaction score
I am 5'11, 175-180 pounds usually, 34 inch waist and 21 percent body fat.

People come in all shapes so its foolish to accuse him of lying.

Genetics, diet, Propecia/Avodart, types of exercise etc.. all affect your body look and composition.

I want to get to 15 percent body fat without eating meat and doing just 3 hours or so of exercise a week. I need to monitor my diet, but its tough when you work a lot and don't have time to cook and worry about carbs/fat/protein etc...

bubka

Reaction score
CCS, didn't you just say a few weeks ago that you were in the best shape of your life, and you were going to continue to get in better shape???

you added 6 inches on your stomach, wow, when i was overweight, i had 6 more inches, a 38" at 6', now i am a slim 32"

s.a.f

Reaction score
s.a.f said:
jayman2 said:
you are 145 pounds and have a 34.5 inch waist?. i am 5'9" 170 with a 32 inch waist. you are not telling the truth about one number or the other i dont think

that would mean you have roughly a 22% body fat percentage and no one would consider that to be in good shape.

People are built in all different shapes and sizes. Quoting figures is pointless.

CCS's opinions about his body seem to fluctuate with his moods. I think he has a unhealthy obssesion with all aspects of his appearance.

powersam

Reaction score
depends on what you mean by fit. i think you can be fit, ie/ capable of vigorous extended exercise, and still carry quite a bit of fat.

Nick4441

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Hi College,

When you reduce the fat intake make sure you do lots of sit ups and other tummy muscle exercises. I got up to 80 sit ups every morning and 50 pressup's and again in the evening. Dropping from 34-35 to 31-32 providing you do the exercises you should keep your tummy tight. Keep an eye on the scales every day to make sure you lose the wieght steadily.

CCS

Reaction score
powersam said:
depends on what you mean by fit. i think you can be fit, ie/ capable of vigorous extended exercise, and still carry quite a bit of fat.

this is true. I was unaware how big my waist got, and was basing my fitness estimate on how much I could lift. I can curl and bench press at least 10% more than I ever could before in my life. But if bubka looks good at 32 inches and 6 feet, then I probably should shoot for 30 inches since I'm 5'8".

CCS

Reaction score
Nick4441 said:
Hi College,

When you reduce the fat intake make sure you do lots of sit ups and other tummy muscle exercises. I got up to 80 sit ups every morning and 50 pressup's and again in the evening. Dropping from 34-35 to 31-32 providing you do the exercises you should keep your tummy tight. Keep an eye on the scales every day to make sure you lose the wieght steadily.

I never said I was going to decrease my fat intake. I said I'd reduce my total calorie intake. The fat may come down a bit, but I think all the nuts and seeds I eat are healthy and that 25% of calories from fat is good.

I don't plan to measure my weight often, since I don't know if muscle, fat, or water weight is changing. It's better to measure my waist, or better yet to see how much fat I can grab when I'm sitting down.

As for keeping it tight, I'm sure my muscles already are tight since I can crank out several inclined sit ups fast enough to make the bench shake. I should use some weight next time. If I want my belley to look tight, I just have to lose the fat. I think 5-10 pounds should do it, which is why 145 is my initial goal.

CCS

Reaction score
JayMan said:
your body fat is almost certainly 15%+ at a 34.5 inch waist because you have belly fat and if you have belly fat like you said then you are not fit.

I'm basing my body fat estimate on the fact that I can see my top two abs and part of my second two when I flex. This is especially true first thing in the morning. I heard you have to have less than 10% to see a full 6 pack. So I figured 15% is likely. If i had 20% body fat, do you think I could see my abs at all? I don't have to pull on the skin to see them. Their not defined, but I can see all the borders, and their asymetry.

CCS

Reaction score
I'm 155 pounds, 5'8". 34.5 inch waist. That does not say much about how much is muscle or fat or where most of my muscle is.

How many people with 20% body fat have some upper abs to show? And no love handles?

I don't suck my belley in and cinch down the mearing tape when I measure myself. I just measure it as it is. Relaxed.

I can also do 15 one handed push ups on one arm and 8 on the other.

G

i'm sorry but i just don't buy it. interested to hear what bubka thinks but i think that you're either a disproportioned freak of nature, you measured wrong, or you are lying.

bubka

Reaction score
your ideal weight is 147, so you are not that far off, depends on how you put on weigh too, there is visceral fat, and dermal fat, visceral is the fat that is under the muscle, in the abdomen, like guys who have bulging stomach though with some abs still, then the dermal fat, under the skin, love handles, then the usual combination of both...

when i put on weight, it was all mostly dermal, and all over really

so who knows really, maybe if you cut out half of your regime, you would take out 1,000 calories or so with all the oats, omega fats, protein drinks, orange juice, soy protein, and the countless other supplements and foods you say you take just about daily...

still though, a 34.5 inch waste is big for your hight, i mean, i have 34 inch pants, and they will fall off my *** if i don't have a belt, and i am not talking old navy sizes either

G

way big for the weight too. i mean even at my fattest i still only wore 34 inch jeans at 190. so a 34.5 inch waist at 155?

i'm 5'9" 170 now and wear 32 waist/30 inseam without a belt. they fit. i have short legs hence only the 30 inseam. my brother is the same height but with longer legs and a smaller torso so he wears 32/32's.

how tall are you bubka?

CCS

Reaction score
JayMan said:
i'm sorry but i just don't buy it. interested to hear what bubka thinks but i think that you're either a disproportioned freak of nature, you measured wrong, or you are lying.

or my hunch back is that bad.

CCS

Reaction score
I heard the fat under the muscle is a much bigger cardiovascular risk than the fat under the skin. That would explain my being able to see my abs. So maybe I am 20+% body fat even though I got some nice upper abs.

Do you guys measure your waist first thing in the morning, when it is at its thinnest, or later in the day? And do you suck it in when you measure it? I do neither. Wow, 190 and 32 inches, at 5'9", sounds like you have a very muscular upper body. I have 13 inch upper arms. My chest is a lot thicker than most guys', though, making me look a bit freakish. And it is not just my chest muscles. I think my rib cage is about 1.6x as thick front to back as most guys' my height. My hunch back might hae something to do with it. Ever seen a normal gold fish and a fan tail gold fish? Well my upper body is analogus to the fan tail's.

bubka

Reaction score
i figured your chest would be about 1.7x the size of an average, but i have never seen you...

6' 165lbs, i did go as low as 158lbs once, but i started to get a little unhealthy looking thin

still_trying

Reaction score
collegechemistrystudent said:
I just measured my waste. It is 34-35 inches. It once was 29 at my same height. I thought I was looking a little pudgy. I could even see it in my neck, under the chin. My goal is to get down to 29 inches by the end of January, maybe losing 2 pounds per week. I want to do this without losing any muscle.

The gym is closed in 10 days, so I'll either have to start running or figure out some way to burn calories. I'm going to do 2-4 30 minute sessions of cardio per day, so my body is less likely to tap the protein, like it would if I did it all in 2 hours. I need variety, so I need a different cardio for each of the 4 sessions.

And I'm going to do pushups and dips and pull ups with a back, and shoulder lifts with two back packs, to maintain upper body muscle. Also abs stuff, and I got to figure out some heavy exercises for my legs. Got to work everything with low reps so my body does not take protein from there.

As for diet, I'm going to stay above 2000. I don't want my metabolism dipping. Maybe I'll do 2200 calories per day, and I'll plan all my food intake, measure it out in tubber ware, and have it in the fridge with the time I'll eat it, in 2 hour intervals from waking to sleeping. I'll also start drinking a gallon of water per day, spaced out.

I'm currently 155 pounds, and my goal is 145, in 5-7 weeks. I'm 5-8. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

TRY BOXING CLASSES!

best way to lose weight and tone up i've ever tried..you don't need to get involved with sparring, just join in the circuit training and pad/heavy bag work.

Most decent gyms will have a 1 1/2 or 2 hour circuit class a few times a week where you can let off a lot of steam and fat!!

And i'm sure that propecia has added to the fat on my body. Although i have been drinking more than usual the last 6-8 months, i still work out and play a lot of sport, and there is only fat on my chest and stomach..

CCS

Reaction score
I deal with depression three ways: surf HairLossTalk.com, sleep in the afternoon, and snack when I don't need them. All of these make me gain weight. I doubt the dutasteride is to blame.

G

i was not a 32 inch at 190. i was 34 at 190, which is good i think. i have great genetics for muscle gaining etc

powersam

Reaction score
not sure of conversion rates but i'm 6'1 77 kilos and i have a 32 inch waist. probably 31 really as my pants are abit loose at the moment.

whats 77 in pounds?