It's 2013 - Where are you with your hair loss?

MichaelXX

Reaction score
Hey Dudes,

So where are you guys in 2013.

What are the advances in existent methods (Transplants, Rogaine, etc.) And what are the big doctors/researchers you are looking at for the stuff to come.

Would love to hear from the heavy-weights here. :)

rudimentary

Established Member
Reaction score
I'll fill you in on what I know.

Histogen is making good progress. I am excited about their approach and ultimately will be the "cure" to male pattern baldness.

Replicell has stalled their progress as of late.

FUE
is gaining more traction as an alternative to the more popular strip-based hair transplants.

S-Equol will soon be be available as a supplement from Nature Made, around 80-100mg are needed per day to lower DHT at a decent rate.

Keratene
is a new 5-Alpha-Reductase Inhibitor that *apparently* produces very few side effects and none/few sexual ones, and can lower 25%-65% of serum DHT.

What's what I got so far.

Vox

Established Member
Reaction score

FUE
is gaining more traction as an alternative to the more popular strip-based hair transplants.
This is the only viable solution available at this moment. The hasci clinic offers an improved and very clean version of it with more than 80% regeneration of the donor area and without any scars left behind. This is well documented now in other forums and there is very convincing photographic evidence. Limitations are money and time, since the donor area needs to rest for at least 9 months in order to heal properly and be ready for another procedure. Also harvesting too much may compromise donor regeneration. This technique has much potential, especially if they manage to tweak such parameters related to donor regeneration. There is a patent about it, so availability is very limited at the moment. But for those having the money and the patience, it works right now.

Sparky4444

Reaction score
The hasci clinic offers an improved and very clean version of it with more than 80% regeneration of the donor area and without any scars left behind. .

Supposedly a high profile soccer player in Europe had this done and it's public knowledge...this must cost and arm and a leg...

Vox

Established Member
Reaction score
Supposedly a high profile soccer player in Europe had this done and it's public knowledge...this must cost and arm and a leg...
The price is really high but not more than the price for normal FUE performed by reputable clinics in western Europe. For example, a 1500 grafts procedure will cost in both cases around 8000 euros.

It is a pity that this kind of procedure is still so expensive but obviously this is related to the huge amount of associated labor. Perhaps robotics could change this in the future.

Kev123

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
@ rudimentary Nature Made is a very reputable brand which I use for their Flax Seed Oil and Fish Oil. If they do indeed start making S-Equol then I will bite, but will keep my expectations very low just like every other male pattern baldness treatment.

- - - Updated - - -

It does cost an arm and a leg. Plus I continuously read that it doesn't give you as much density as an FUT. Also, the less, the better results.

MichaelXX

Reaction score
Hmm interesting stuff.

Have there been any advancements with the whole stem-cell situation?

I remember hearing way back that this was the golden ticket.

Vox

Established Member
Reaction score
Have there been any advancements with the whole stem-cell situation?
Regarding the non-surgical approach, there is nothing better than what Histogen and Aderans have at this point. This means nothing in the market so far. But I think they made some progress in the last year, unfortunately nothing spectacular or encouraging that a cure is within reach.

There are some other efforts to multiply hair in vitro by some German researchers but this is still in a very early stage.

On the other hand, the hasci technique discussed previously, which allows the donor area to regenerate, is essentially the surgical approach to hair multiplication and the only one that works right now. In the clinic site we can read that they extract stem cells from the donor follicle (not the whole follicle with the surrounding soft tissue - that would be normal FUE) and they transplant them in bald areas. This is why you have regrowth in the donor area. Of course this requires special tools: for example they use needles with half the diameter of those used in the standard FUE. A nice bonus from this is faster healing, which means in particular a better post-operation appearance.

MichaelXX

Reaction score
Hmm interesting.

So it seems that the medication has relatively stayed the same (am I mistaken?) and surgery is where very slow and steady progress is being made.

I am suprised larger companies like Proctor and Gamble haven't started putting some serious cash into research in this area. Could be there next big cash cow much like Head and Shoulders was.

Thoughts?

Mr White

Established Member
Reaction score
[...]

S-Equol will soon be be available as a supplement from Nature Made, around 80-100mg are needed per day to lower DHT at a decent rate.

[..
.]

Never heard of this one. Is this a serious alternative to finasteride? How can it lower DHT levels without side effects?

abcdefg

Reaction score
CB 03 01 nobody mentions is in early trials as we speak as future safe alternative to finasteride. So there are others that just are unknown at this point

Sparky4444

Reaction score
Never heard of this one. Is this a serious alternative to finasteride? How can it lower DHT levels without side effects?

S-Equol binds to DHT directly, not to the 5aR enzyme ... that's how...5aR is important for regulating your Test/Estro ratio...

somone uk

Experienced Member
Reaction score
"it inhibits DHT without side effects"
that's called a snake oil

no genuine medicine in history claims to have no side effects all medicines have side effects.

has either histogen or replicel made released any news this year?
i am sure histogen was due to end 1 of it's phases by now
and it seems Aderans haven't updated their site in over a year but i am sure they did a talk more recently than that.

UnFairHair

Reaction score
Food for thought, maybe hair

S-Equol binds to DHT directly, not to the 5aR enzyme ... that's how...5aR is important for regulating your Test/Estro ratio...

i have been drinking 2 glasses of soymilk per day for about two weeks, not growing more hair yet, but amazingly my acne has completely cleared up :jump: (mild, but long term problem that i have treated with salicylic acid, 10% peroxide cream, pads, prescriptions, etc) and my face does not get very oily anymore either. my hairloss has progressed slowly therefore i believe any hair gain should follow suit imo. i was also just reading 'natural s-equols' FAQs and it states this under 'is the bacteria used to make this product (s-equol) safe:'
Diet history: People have consumed Lactococcus garvieae via cheese, including cheese that has been traditionally eaten in Egypt and Italy, with no known reports of adverse health effects.
i eat blue and gorgonzola cheeses often and i am wondering if they contain the bacteria needed to make the s-equol conversion. if not does anybody think the ultimate flora 50 billion product would help with the s-equol conversion considering it contains that culture?
and i reviewed proequol's dietary requirements and they will not recommend their product to you unless you can basically eliminate saturated fats, wheat, and oat from your diet.
thats all folks
comments and feedback is greatly appreciated

resu

Reaction score
Just need to wait a few more years and I'll use whatever CB cream Cosmo puts out for acne, that should halt mild hair loss easily.