Itchy scalp despite using Nizarol

ajax

Established Member
Reaction score
I was wondering is anyone has had a problem with an itchy scalp depsite using nizoral frequently?

I'm thinking of adding a Miconazole 2% shampoo in to my routine and alternate it with nizoral 2%.

Are there any known reasons for itchy scalps in hair loss other than what nizoral can help with?

slurms mackenzie

Established Member
Reaction score
Some people get an itchy scalp because of Nizoral, the 2% stuff is exceedingly harsh.

You could try alternating with a different kind of anti dandruff shampoo. I use head and shoulders seems to get rid of the itch.

Other people have recommended revita for getting keto onto their scalps.

TheGrayMan2001

Reaction score
I can't really figure out what causes my itchy scalp. Nizoral doesn't help, nor does it cause it. I had it as my male pattern baldness started and after using finasteride, it stops.

minoxidil liquid makes it stop temporarily, but the flakes from the dried minoxidil liquid eventually starts making my scalp dry out and itch.

finasteride alone made it pretty much stop after being on it for a few months. I took a two month break from finasteride mid Jan to early March of this year and the itching eventually came back. Three days after being on finasteride it subsided again.

hairhoper

Experienced Member
Reaction score
finasteride made it stop for me almost immediately.

In my mind my itch is a result of androgenic damage and nothing but an antiandrogen will stop it.

I'm not saying you should jump on an antiandrogen if you're holding ground with topicals but if you don't the itch may be something you have to learn to live with. You may want to look at things that might soothe it like moisturisers etc.

ajax

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys thanks for the responses.

I'm on finasteride & dutasteride at the moment... its interesting that others have said their itch started when male pattern baldness also kicked in as that was the same for me.

I was on dutasteride for 6 years, but recently dropped it to every other day, with finasteride on the opposite days, and as of next week will be on finasteride every day. I had great sucess with dutasteride, but am planning on starting a family in the next 12 months, so dont want it in my system then (has a long half life so stopping now).

I seem to be going through a shed (pretty bad one) too at the moment... so I'm wondering if the itch is either caused by a drop in DHT blocking due to dropping dutasteride (and replacing with finasteride), or to do with the shed?

I'm going to buy some Tea Tree shampoo and see if that helps.

Also have ordered some Revivogen in the hope it'll give the finasteride a little extra boost.

I think the itch and loss/shed are related, so will post any results on here should I reduce or get rid of the itchyness.

Hoppi

Reaction score
T-Gel for dry scalps did the trick as a quick fix for me.

However... we may well both have candida issues or something.. heh (see you in the other thread!! :) )

ajax

Established Member
Reaction score
Hoppi said:
T-Gel for dry scalps did the trick as a quick fix for me.

However... we may well both have candida issues or something.. heh (see you in the other thread!! :) )

:agree: :punk:

Palance25

Reaction score
Something that seems to work for me when I use nizoral, is to rinse with cold water. I've noticed that when I use hot water my scalp itches constantly.

BlueScreen

Reaction score
Nizoral 2% seems to have reduced the itching for me, but I know it won't go away completely until the DHT is blocked.

If Nizoral 2% is too harsh, try the 1% version.

I have also had success removing the itching with a special type of herbal shampoo. I can't remember the brand name but most herbal shampoo's will likely have the same effect since its the synthetic chemicals used in other shampoos that seems to aggravate the itching in the first place (at least for me anyway)

Before I used the herbal stuff I used Head and Shoulders products and the harsh chemicals in those things actually made it worse.

To name one: Most H&S products contain Sodium Laurel Sulphate which was ripping my scalp up and actually worsening my hair loss

Established Member
Reaction score
nizoral does next to nothing for me.
nor does keto cream.
get a scalp itch sensation while applying and not long after.
male pattern baldness itch within 1hr or so of application...

Wuffer

Experienced Member
Reaction score
nizoral hasn't done anything for me either. However, it makes my hair look and feel really thick on the days I use it, so I keep using it just for that benefit.

If the scalp itch you are experiencing comes from DHT affecting your follicles (which it most likely is) then Finasteride will be the best treatment. I noticed after just a couple weeks on finasteride that my itching has stopped completely. It's wonderful, because the itching was getting to be very annoying. For 3 months the itching has been gone, and i've also had great results from finasteride.

If you have an itchy head from a fungal infection (unlikely) then nizoral will help. However, it does nothing to help the actual 'balding' itch caused by DHT. You need to block DHT to stop that.

ajax

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies.

I'm already on finasteride so not sure if I can really do much more to stop the itch that way.

I've ordered some probiotics to see if Candida is giving me the itchy scalp.

I'll update this thread if I have any success.