itchy scalp and shedding more with white bulbs

koolaidshade

Reaction score
Hey guys I've noticed a lot more shedding as well as itchy scalp. I've been shedding 30-50 hairs in the shower as well as 10 coming out whenever I comb. There are white bulbs at the ends of a bunch of my shedded hair! I've been using emu oil (used emu oil since feb '13) as well as other essential oils (lavender, thyme, rosemary, jojoba, cedarwood) and regenepure dr (1% keto) for around a month now. I noticed that my temples were slightly receding when I was 16/17 (mature hairline) and a year ago noticed some diffuse thining. I used to have thick asian hair back when I was 18 and younger.

Can someone help me figure out why there are white bulbs at the end of my hairs? Also, will the itching and shedding go away or am I doomed and must use minoxidil/finasteride?

Also, when I do the "hair pull " test, hairs come out from the back and sides of my head, almost in the same amount coming out from the top. But how come during my shower, I shed mostly hairs from the top?

Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

oh **** im freaking out right now, I've done the hair pull test on top of my head and like 20 hairs came out! wtf should i do? should i see a derm??

talmoode

Experienced Member
Reaction score
http://www.hairlosstalk.com/hair-loss-news/article225.php

The Hair Growth Cycle

To understand telogen effluvium, we need to have some knowledge of the hair growth cycle. Hair does not grow continuously on the human scalp. The anagen (growing) phase for terminal hair can extend 3 to 7 years and is a reflection of the size of the hair follicle. Catagen is the transitional portion of the hair growth cycle, between anagen and telogen and lasts only 1 to 2 weeks. During this time, there is a rapid involution and regression of the hair follicle. The hair follicle then enters the telogen phase, which is a relatively fixed period of time, approximately 100 days, regardless of the size of the hair follicle. There is no growth of the hair shaft during this phase. It is at the end of the telogen phase that the entire hair shaft, also often referred to as the club hair, will spontaneously shed, while a new hair shaft is forming within the hair canal. The white bulb at the end of the hair, along with the loosely attached collection of friable debris gives the shed hair its characteristic appearance.

In the scalp of the healthy, young human adult, approximately 90% of the hair will be in the anagen (growth) phase and approximately 10% will be in the telogen (dormancy) phase. Less than 1% will be in the catagen (transitional) phase. When you consider that the scalp contains 100,000 hairs, with 10,000 in the telogen (dormancy) phase... and 1% of those hairs in the telogen phase will be at the end of the 100 day long phase, you can easily understand why it is normal to shed 100 hairs per day.

koolaidshade

Reaction score
http://www.hairlosstalk.com/hair-loss-news/article225.php

The Hair Growth Cycle

To understand telogen effluvium, we need to have some knowledge of the hair growth cycle. Hair does not grow continuously on the human scalp. The anagen (growing) phase for terminal hair can extend 3 to 7 years and is a reflection of the size of the hair follicle. Catagen is the transitional portion of the hair growth cycle, between anagen and telogen and lasts only 1 to 2 weeks. During this time, there is a rapid involution and regression of the hair follicle. The hair follicle then enters the telogen phase, which is a relatively fixed period of time, approximately 100 days, regardless of the size of the hair follicle. There is no growth of the hair shaft during this phase. It is at the end of the telogen phase that the entire hair shaft, also often referred to as the club hair, will spontaneously shed, while a new hair shaft is forming within the hair canal. The white bulb at the end of the hair, along with the loosely attached collection of friable debris gives the shed hair its characteristic appearance.

In the scalp of the healthy, young human adult, approximately 90% of the hair will be in the anagen (growth) phase and approximately 10% will be in the telogen (dormancy) phase. Less than 1% will be in the catagen (transitional) phase. When you consider that the scalp contains 100,000 hairs, with 10,000 in the telogen (dormancy) phase... and 1% of those hairs in the telogen phase will be at the end of the 100 day long phase, you can easily understand why it is normal to shed 100 hairs per day.

but how do u explain the itchy scalp? and the fact that im shedding more on top than back and sides

talmoode

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I am no expert and have no answer to your question as to what's happening to your hair. I simple copied and pasted the article for you from this site. You should see a professional for accurate assessment. I guess it's highly likely DHT attacking your hair follicles..the itchinness or maybe it is just that you have some kind of scalp inflammation eg., dermatitis...I am losing hair on my top, back and sides as well and it's just the way it is...go see a doctor...cheers..

cbtrc

Reaction score
Inflammation is quite often caused by DHT attacking your hair follicles. Inflammation is an immune response.
Based on experience of many hair loss forum members and my own experience, I can say that most of the dermatologists have no clue about hair loss. If you are able to see a trichologist go straight to him. First dermatologist that I have visited didn't even know what Propecia and DHT are lol.

koolaidshade

Reaction score
Inflammation is quite often caused by DHT attacking your hair follicles. Inflammation is an immune response.
Based on experience of many hair loss forum members and my own experience, I can say that most of the dermatologists have no clue about hair loss. If you are able to see a trichologist go straight to him. First dermatologist that I have visited didn't even know what Propecia and DHT are lol.

well it seems like i've been getting mild dandruff. got some flakes after i get out of the shower and comb my hair. I've been using regenepure day 1, then day 2 use jason's 2 in 1 dandruff control (has 1% zinc pyrithione), then day 3 use dr bronners organic castile soap (almond extract/fragrance added), then repeat. Looks like i need to first tackle this dandruff problem, but it seems like with the oils that i add to my scalp, they've been making the dead skin flakes stick onto my head.

CursedMen

Established Member
Reaction score
I used saw palmetto for about a year. In that course of 12 months, I stopped the saw palmetto supplement for 1 month because I thought it was not doing anything. After about two weeks off my scalped itched like crazy. I honestly used a fork to scratch at it. I double dosed on the supplement after that month and it went away in a week. I'm not here to push saw palmetto on people. I'm just using my personal experience to better the theory that DHT causes the scalp to itch (inflammation). If you get rid of that itch, you are helping your follicles. Kind of use it as a gauge. Also in the first week when I went from saw palmetto to Finpecia, my scalped itched for a week. After that week it is back to normal.

burning

Reaction score
I used saw palmetto for about a year. In that course of 12 months, I stopped the saw palmetto supplement for 1 month because I thought it was not doing anything. After about two weeks off my scalped itched like crazy. I honestly used a fork to scratch at it. I double dosed on the supplement after that month and it went away in a week. I'm not here to push saw palmetto on people. I'm just using my personal experience to better the theory that DHT causes the scalp to itch (inflammation). If you get rid of that itch, you are helping your follicles. Kind of use it as a gauge. Also in the first week when I went from saw palmetto to Finpecia, my scalped itched for a week. After that week it is back to normal.

Are you saying that you got good results from the Saw Palmetto in that year, but made the switch to Finpecia for better results?
Also, in the time that you used saw palmetto, how much did you use? You say that you double dosed after the two break you took. What was
your normal dose?

I am currently taking 450mg about 3x a day. And have been doing that for almost 3 weeks.

LouReed

Reaction score
well it seems like i've been getting mild dandruff. got some flakes after i get out of the shower and comb my hair. I've been using regenepure day 1, then day 2 use jason's 2 in 1 dandruff control (has 1% zinc pyrithione), then day 3 use dr bronners organic castile soap (almond extract/fragrance added), then repeat. Looks like i need to first tackle this dandruff problem, but it seems like with the oils that i add to my scalp, they've been making the dead skin flakes stick onto my head.

Change your shampooing

Dr bronners. That stuff is ROUGH. Remember it is meant to be diluted... lots of people forget that. I would just drop that entirely if you are experiencing dandruff

Second, I would leave a single day in between each washing. Just wash with water on those days