Itchy scalp and male pattern baldness

Neonhalls

Reaction score
Does itchiness on your scalp mean you have male pattern baldness?

If so, do you get the itchy scalp before your hair starts to thin and shed, or is it something that occurs at the same time or after any shedding or thinning has begun?

Also why would male pattern baldness cause an itchy scalp? I heard its inflammation caused by DHT?

And how can you differentiate an itchy scalp caused by male pattern baldness from something else, such as a dry scalp or another condition?

Thank you for your help!

Agustin Araujo

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi Neonhalls,

Having an itchy scalp does not always mean you have male pattern baldness, but having one can be. My hair did start to feel super sensitive before thinning began. Then hair loss began and I did start experience an inflamed, itchy, and oily scalp. The reason why male pattern baldness can cause an itchy scalp is because of excessive androgen activity in the scalp, and also that DHT is shrinking the hair follicles. Inflammation is usually present when you have male pattern baldness and an itchy scalp, especially that DHT itself is an inflammatory compound.

The way you can differentiate and itchy scalp caused by male pattern baldness or by something else, is if there's signs of hair loss or not on the top of the scalp. If there's itchiness and hair loss, it's probably male pattern baldness. If there's itchiness and no hair loss at all, it can be something else.