Itching from minoxidil: Some help, please

Hamartoma

Reaction score
For starters, I have chronic Telogen Effluvium and early male pattern baldness (Norwood 2A), of which the Telogen Effluvium has finally calmed down after nearly 2 years of suffering. (Yippee!)
I've been on Propecia since Jan 2005 and started using 2% minoxidil from Sept 2005 until June 2006 when I switched to 5% minoxidil. Did quite well for a while until the past month & half, I've been having a bit of itching, which I really did not have before. (There was some flaking with the higher dose of minoxidil and this subsided). So, I've tried a 1% zinc shampoo (as well as alternating with Nizoral all along) with a slight diminution. I've also tried olive oil and also Keri lotion: both feel great and offer temporary soothing. But I don't know if these oils or lotions cause damage. Any thoughts?

sphlanx2006

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I dont think you should be afraid for any damage. If they feel good go for them. For me itching and redness have been a problem, i dont really care since its working, but (especially for redness) i would like to find a solution.

sphlanx2006

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Actually most of the itching is caused by retin-a i think. I really dont care, i wouldnt mind even if the itching was 10 times stronger since i know its working. i am not switching to foam, mainly because its too expensive (i have to order it online and shipping doubles the cost) and since the liquid is covered by my insurance i get 5% with 0.01% retin-a for 4.5E/month.