Itching! could it be a GOOD sign?

VoteForPedro

Reaction score
So, I think i have noticed hair growth in one or two areas, but have also noticed hair LOSS in other parts...and I have a lot of itching, which started right as my results were starting to be noticeable to me...so, is it possible that itching means good news? or is it a sign of bad news? A little bit of both? I have read and heard BOTH sides. What do you think?

Ian Curtis

Established Member
Reaction score
To me, the lack of itching was the good sign. Before starting finasteride my hair follicles were becoming atrophied and it itched a lot. The itching reduced after starting finasteride and slapping some ketoconazole on my head. Now after 2.5 years itching is quiet rare.

VoteForPedro

Reaction score
uh-oh...this is not good, then...it's just that I've heard that sometimes-like when a scar is healing-when your hair is growing, it can itch...kind of like how when you need to shave...it itches. BUT, if what you say is right...and I DON'T DOUBT it...what do you think is the reason for the itching? I have been on finasteride for a while, and i think i've noticed growth...Oh, boy...it must be something new in my regimen. OH GOD. what have I done? LOL.

vikings1234

Reaction score
itching could be a lot of things from your hormones which propecia is effecting. For me propecia has helped my itching. Not sure if you are using a harsh shampoo or something. Rogaine(minoxidil) is known for causing irritation.

Most seem to use nizoral(which for me was to harsh and caused further itching). I also had pretty bad pimple breakouts that no shampoo was helping. Finally on my 3rd month of propecia + capasual(coal tar shampoo with some salicylic acid in it) has helped both the itching and pimples. They went hand in hand. What else are you using?

Ian Curtis

Established Member
Reaction score
If nizoral is too harsh on your scalp, use another shampoo with less ketoconazole.

VoteForPedro

Reaction score
Cheers, everyone. Thanks for your comments and suggestions. This is what I'm using as a shampoo, by the way: http://www.HealthyHairPlus.com/Oily-Hai ... lscalp.htm

it apparently regulates sebum...not sure if I have seen it being regulated, BUT my hair is less oily, and LOOKS better. Unfortunately, my scalp is still very oily/shiny/sebaucous. YUCK!

But thank you for your suggestion...I may have to make a switch...but this shampoo says it's very gentle...and it certainly feels gentle. Maybe it is the finasteride or the Minoxidil...I certainly HOPE NOT, though! lol