Itch where your losing hair and best treatmentss of today

abcdefg

Reaction score
Okay ive posted my share of times on here. My head itches a lot and started on the crown and i had lots of white flaky crap there like other people complain about all the time. Of course my hair thinned out there. The dermatologist said sometimes it thins out in the back and is normal to lose a little hair from when your a teenager. So okay I believed him why not hes the boss right? Anyways my front has started itching lately and of course white scaly seb derm type stuff and hair comes out with it. I can clearly see hair thats miniaturizing just like I can see in the crown. Im not sure if its a mature hairline or male pattern baldness. My head is itchy all over even above the ears but its worse in the areas where my hair falls out, and ive tried nizoral and every shampoo. I tried prescribed steroids from the derms those didnt help either. What could this be?
It really feels like inflammation and I see lots of acne mainly where my hair is falling out like on the hairline but no where else. Maybe i should post some pictures. I have posted here before and whined about this and that but the truth is I havent found or figured out what this is or why its happening. Anyone have similar situation?

TonyTheTiger

Established Member
Reaction score
I thought your scalp itches when you start getting new regrowth cause its breaking thru the skin covering the follicle pore that closes up when the hair falls out.

abcdefg

Reaction score
I dont know I didnt think so or id be regrowing all the hair I lose because my head itches constantly. Lots of men have that itch though that are going bald so its obviously related somehow. It has to be. I just dont know what to do. Do I take propecia? what other options are there? topical spironolactone? I dont know anything else that really works I just want to keep what I have. I would fight the itch with shampoos but nothing works or its just temporary and then it itches again so i cant really stop it.

brh1219

Reaction score
hey i used to have itching all the time at the crown and at the hairline...i took and take .5 propecia as well. I use a shampoo with seabuckthorn oil in it 3 times a week and the itching has gone done considerably. Also i heard eating high amounts of refined sugars and foods with lots of preserves doesnt help.

Established Member
Reaction score
that itch / tingling is more likely minaturising..... I get it all the time mostly where my hair is thinning the worst.
Funnily enough Revivogen seems to make my head 'itch' the most and hasn't helped me a bit.

Of course there's also the minoxidil itch which is difficult to tell if it's minaturising, growth or a bit of skin inflamation...

Balding sucks!

I'm reading good things about topical sophora if finasteride kicks your arse with side effects (like it does me).
I might be replacing or even adding it to my revivigen soon (there's a bit more info on hariloss help about sophora than here at the moment).

good luck gents

TonyTheTiger

Established Member
Reaction score
1750 said:
that itch / tingling is more likely minaturising..... I get it all the time mostly where my hair is thinning the worst.
Funnily enough Revivogen seems to make my head 'itch' the most and hasn't helped me a bit.

Of course there's also the minoxidil itch which is difficult to tell if it's minaturising, growth or a bit of skin inflamation...

Balding sucks!

I'm reading good things about topical sophora if finasteride kicks your arse with side effects (like it does me).
I might be replacing or even adding it to my revivigen soon (there's a bit more info on hariloss help about sophora than here at the moment).

good luck gents

I dont get it! I thought when new hair sprouts it becomes more itchy.

G

I can relate with the opener... even finasteride hasn't helped with the itching sensation. My hair is horribly thin all around on top and there's nothing that has helped the itch really. It's always there. It's good for a while after shampooing but it's always just a matter of time when the itch attacks again. It's such a fucked up situation; to know that you have to rid the itch to get some results but you have no idea how to do it. You can feel there's a skin problem of some kind but can't help it anyway.

Established Member
Reaction score
TonyTheTiger said:
I dont get it! I thought when new hair sprouts it becomes more itchy.

sometimes the itch does mean regrowth - but knowing when the itch is inflamation, regrowth or the minaturising process IMO is very difficult to decifer and probably varies in feeling for each individual.

For me... any itch means thinning hair or that something in the minoxidil like retin-a is causing some irritation......

Pete

Established Member
Reaction score
abcdefg said:
Okay ive posted my share of times on here. My head itches a lot and started on the crown and i had lots of white flaky crap there like other people complain about all the time. Of course my hair thinned out there. The dermatologist said sometimes it thins out in the back and is normal to lose a little hair from when your a teenager. So okay I believed him why not hes the boss right? Anyways my front has started itching lately and of course white scaly seb derm type stuff and hair comes out with it. I can clearly see hair thats miniaturizing just like I can see in the crown. Im not sure if its a mature hairline or male pattern baldness. My head is itchy all over even above the ears but its worse in the areas where my hair falls out, and ive tried nizoral and every shampoo. I tried prescribed steroids from the derms those didnt help either. What could this be?
It really feels like inflammation and I see lots of acne mainly where my hair is falling out like on the hairline but no where else. Maybe i should post some pictures. I have posted here before and whined about this and that but the truth is I havent found or figured out what this is or why its happening. Anyone have similar situation?

your best course of action:

1) add a shampoo that contains Piroctone Olamine

2)add a topical that reduces inflammation

Regards
Pete

abcdefg

Reaction score
Is it worth trying finasteride to help with the itch? So I get the feeling there is no answer science just doesnt know why it happens. You can call me stupid but saw palmetto unless it was a placebo effect really did seem to help my itch at first it made my head numb but the effect wore off after maybe 3 months. That just made me think propecia might be worth a shot for me I really think dht has something to do with in my case. Its just doctors and derms would say im stupid and its seb derm not anything related to dht or hairloss.

I dont know most guys say propecia didnt help with the itch, and others say it did. So whats the answer and why would propecia help? How is dht related to inflammation? I have about 100 questions and I already know a derm wouldnt know 99 of them. Why do so many men have seb derm? 85 percent of people with aids have it too. It looks like dandruff how are they related and where does that stuff come from? sebaceous glands produce it in response to hormones? why?

RaginDemon

Reaction score
itchy means DHT is still damaging your hair

Maxpwr

Established Member
Reaction score
Yes we all hate that itch... well I'd assume we all do - it feels good to scratch, but I don't like scratching it. I have used all sorts of things hoping it would work. So far no success in stopping the itch. I have heard from different people that the itch has nothing to do with losing, gaining or maintaining hair... and it has nothing to do with DHT either. Apparently it's just an effect from using minoxidil and other topicals.

My hair used to itch like crazy using Head & Shoulders shampoo, way back before I started treating it. I don't think there's anything wrong with itchiness, except for the actual feeling...

TonyTheTiger

Established Member
Reaction score
RaginDemon said:
itchy means DHT is still damaging your hair
Explain

cause when I was shedding I never had an itchy scalp at all.

when i shaved my head to the skin and the hair started growing my scalp started itching.

seth9027

Reaction score
I know exactly what you're going through, as I have had thinning hair and scalp itch for several years, which the derm diagnosed as seborrheic dermatitis. I don't itch that much any more, and starting Propecia MAY have helped, but I think it has more to do with the shampoo that I got a prespcription for and started using about the same time. It's called Loprox, and the active ingredient is 1% ciclopiroxolamine. It has anti-inflammatory and anti-fungal action, and it was much better for me than Nizoral was.

My best advice to you is to try several different anti-inflammatory shampoos (Loprox, Nizoral, piroctone olamine) and see which one you like the best and add that to your regimen. Then on the off-days you could use a fragrance free shampoo and conditioner to make sure the added fragrance in your hair care products isn't making your scalp have an allergic reaction. good luck with this.

kento

Established Member
Reaction score
charlieparker said:
Try apple cider vinegar... it's the only thing that has worked for me and I've tried so many shampoos.

Hmm i hear about apple cider like good threatment for SB but i wonder how do you apply, i guess it's acid no irritration?

charlieparker

Reaction score
I put it in a spray bottle and just use it like hair spray. Before I just splashed some into my hair out of the bottle, but I found that I wasted too much of it. The spray is just to conserve. I think you should shampoo, spray it on and leave it for 10 minutes, then shampoo again. I promise you you will swear it's a miracle after you apply. The itch will be completely gone, your hair will feel nice, and it's a great feeling to actually get some results from something natural.. Repeat after a few days or if the itch returns. Please let me know how this works out for you because after my experience I am amazed more people don't discuss apple cider vinegar here.