It actually works! 8 months on Finasteride and Minoxidil Foam

suspicioussandwich

Reaction score
Well, I've been pretty bummed out lately because I didn't think my treatments since June 1, 2012 were working. 6 months in, and I didn't see a difference.

I wanted to verify, so I compared some before and after pictures . . . and holy crap! It's really working! Haha. I'm so stoked. My hairline has definitely gotten more defined and the density has increased greatly. I'm now more motivated to keep this up to see what happens in a year's time!

Regimen:

1.25 mg finasteride daily (1/4 of 5mg tablet) (May 25, 2012)
1–2x daily generic brand minoxodil foam (August 5, 2012)
2% ketaconazole shampoo every third day or so (June 5, 2011)

I started with just the finasteride for 2 months. Then, I did one side of my front hairline with minoxidil for a month along with the crown, then the other. I wanted to see what results were from the minoxidil and what from finasteride. However, I didn't keep this up and just ended up using minoxidil on both sides. So I suppose I've only been using minoxidil for 6 months, whereas I've been on finasteride for 8 months.

Results:

(Sorry for the slight angle differences. I'm pulling back my hair the same in both, I just have the camera tilted slightly differently.)

Before: (June 1, 2012)
After: (January 1, 2013)

Frontal

f4p475.jpg
2m7dmqh.jpg

Crown

1zxxogl.jpg
zirlo4.jpg

suspicioussandwich

Reaction score
Nice results!
how old are you? any side effects from finasteride?

I'm 26, will be 27 in March.

I'm not sure if I'm having side effects from the finasteride. At the same time that I started it, I got promoted at work, and the past 7 months have been incredibly stressful. I started getting panic attacks and have been generally more anxious and depressed, but I can't say whether this is from the finasteride or my circumstances. I recently changed jobs, so we'll see how things go. If it continues the same way, then I may decrease the dosage.

In terms of the typical sexual side effects, I've only noticed a slight difference—nothing substantial. It certainly didn't lower my libido, and it hasn't affected anything so as to cause concern. Though I don't get morning wood anymore haha. Or if I do, it's not as intense. That's about it.

- - - Updated - - -

Your before hair line is how mine currently is. Good to see it's working, I've just started basically the same (fingers crossed).

I wish you the best, man. I was really skeptical about whether this would work. I was shocked when I compared the photos. Be sure to stay on top of it and don't freak out when you start shedding a lot of hair. I went through a 2 or 3 week shed at the beginning, and then after that my hairline stabilized. What regimen are you going on?

Josh_86

Reaction score
I'm 26, will be 27 in March.

I wish you the best, man. I was really skeptical about whether this would work. I was shocked when I compared the photos. Be sure to stay on top of it and don't freak out when you start shedding a lot of hair. I went through a 2 or 3 week shed at the beginning, and then after that my hairline stabilized. What regimen are you going on?

rogaine foam in the morning and night
Nizoral 2% twice a week
1/4 tablet of 5mg finasteride every day

I've only just started. I am getting severe headaches from the rogaine and shedding like crazy however..

suspicioussandwich

Reaction score
Where exactly do you apply the Min? I have similar receding as you and I only apply it to the temples and then push it into my hair a bit . Do you do the same?

In the morning, I apply it to the whole frontal area and the temples. I basically pull back my hair and apply it all along the hairline and maybe 2 inches into it. Also, I apply it to the crown.

hahadaxiao

Reaction score
Brilliant result ! So you keep your long hair during your treatment ? Won`t be difficult to use "brand minoxodil foam"?

robertc

Reaction score
Well, I've been pretty bummed out lately because I didn't think my treatments since June 1, 2012 were working. 6 months in, and I didn't see a difference.

I wanted to verify, so I compared some before and after pictures . . . and holy crap! It's really working! Haha. I'm so stoked. My hairline has definitely gotten more defined and the density has increased greatly. I'm now more motivated to keep this up to see what happens in a year's time!

Regimen:

1.25 mg finasteride daily (1/4 of 5mg tablet) (May 25, 2012)
1–2x daily generic brand minoxodil foam (August 5, 2012)
2% ketaconazole shampoo every third day or so (June 5, 2011)

I started with just the finasteride for 2 months. Then, I did one side of my front hairline with minoxidil for a month along with the crown, then the other. I wanted to see what results were from the minoxidil and what from finasteride. However, I didn't keep this up and just ended up using minoxidil on both sides. So I suppose I've only been using minoxidil for 6 months, whereas I've been on finasteride for 8 months.

Results:

(Sorry for the slight angle differences. I'm pulling back my hair the same in both, I just have the camera tilted slightly differently.)

Before: (June 1, 2012)
After: (January 1, 2013)

Frontal

f4p475.jpg
2m7dmqh.jpg

Crown

1zxxogl.jpg
zirlo4.jpg

How are your results currently?

teddyfish

Reaction score
Incredible results... I'm currently on 1 mg finasteride and it's been 5 months thus far and i'm seeing pretty good results already. I've been holding out on trying minoxidil because I wanted to make sure if finasteride was working for me and didn't want to go through a shed. But now this post has me wondering whether I would see even greater results with minoxidil as well as finasteride.

Notcoolanymore

Reaction score
Another success story. Keep them coming. Of course people will gravitate toward the: "Took finasteride and now I have ED", "finasteride destroyed my life" threads.

dam

Reaction score
any update on new hairline pics, i would love to see them i have the same temples as you and have recently started using minoxidil on the hairline, i have new velus hairs on temples after 3 weeks. You have given me hope and motivation. THANK YOU