Is UV light bad for hair loss?

SoThatsLife

Established Member
Reaction score
I have always wondering if going to the tanning salon a couple of times a month is bad for hairloss?!

Of course its not good for follicles when you get a sunburn on your scalp, but is light(10-20minutes on medium strength) UV light bad for hair loss?

Im thinking of buzzing it real short and get some tan, and just try not to think about my hair. But Im afraid that UV light would be bad for my hair.

youngbaldie

Established Member
Reaction score
I believe I read somewhere that tanning can raise androgens slightly, I have no idea how, but it does affect endorphins, so I guess anything is possible.

And yes, I have heard UV light does damage the hair follicles, I think if you go to a tanning salon especially, you may be essentially frying them. Thats a hell of a lot of radiation going into your scalp. Also, you must be careful concerning which shampoos you use. If you use nizoral or t-gel, UV light can cause a bad reaction and you will definately fry the scalp, causing it to blister and be very painful for some time.

But I would be more concerned about your skin. Not only do tanning booths cause deadly forms of skin cancer, they also age you prematurely. It has the same effect on the skin as smoking, if not worse.

There is nothing wrong with a little sun (without burning), infact the vitamin D is good for you and may prevent skin cancer as well.. But tanning booths are deadly, you are just going into a radiation box of death. They provide a short term healthy looking glow, but in the long run they are most definately not worth it. At the age of 40, you may look 60, if you are still alive by that time.

A lot of tanning parlors today don't even provide adequate vitamin D because they send out primarily only UV A rays, with minimal UV B which you get from the sun. In little amounts, UV B rays may be healthy, but you should never get as much that you burn.

slowburn

Established Member
Reaction score
Maybe we are balding because we spend to much time in front of computers or tv screens. :jackit:

RaginDemon

Reaction score
couple guys from the gym go indoor taning 1-2 times a week and they all got super thick hair.

I don't think its related at all.

slowburn

Established Member
Reaction score
RaginDemon said:
couple guys from the gym go indoor taning 1-2 times a week and they all got super thick hair.

I don't think its related at all.
Between putting garlic and jiz on my head tanning, finpecia, propecia, rogaine, saw palmetto, omega 3, flax seeds and nizoral...I'm gonna go nuts! :freaked: :firing: :puke: :jackit:

s.a.f

Reaction score
Whats the next theory, breathing is bad for hair? :dunno:

G

s.a.f said:
I sometimes think that breathing oxygen must be bad for hair.

reading the side effects subforum is definitely bad for hair

SoThatsLife

Established Member
Reaction score
WHATTAHELL? IS breathing bad for hairloss? Im still breathing, gonna quit doing it tonight, and try it for 6 months!!

But what is the end conclusion for tanning? Just take it easy in the tanning booth and not do it to much and not on maximum roast effect?

G

SoThatsLife said:
WHATTAHELL? IS breathing bad for hairloss? Im still breathing, gonna quit doing it tonight, and try it for 6 months!!

I laughed. But it's not that far from the truth for some

Maxpwr

Established Member
Reaction score
bubka said:
you know what is bad for your hair, that Dihydrogen Monoxide
Oh, nonsense...

...death from inhalation? Yes! Severe tissue damage from physical contact? Yes! Corrosion and oxidation? Yes! Soil erosion? Yes, even that!

But where's your proof it's bad for hair? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

bubka

Reaction score
Maxpwr said:
bubka said:
you know what is bad for your hair, that Dihydrogen Monoxide
Oh, nonsense...

...death from inhalation? Yes! Severe tissue damage from physical contact? Yes! Corrosion and oxidation? Yes! Soil erosion? Yes, even that!

But where's your proof it's bad for hair? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
proof, every guy who is balding consumes Dihydrogen Monoxide every day :)

KielMcK

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I know this guy that eats like 20 popsicles a day and hardly breathes... he has more hair then anyone I've ever seen. He ussually avoids garlic... which is the tricky party. Definitely goes tanning though...... he died of cancer a few years ago (the funeral was so sad) and then I saw him last week looking better then ever.... must be them popsicles.

IHateIt

Reaction score
slowburn said:
Maybe we are balding because we spend to much time in front of computers or tv screens. :jackit:

I spend too much time in front of computer. Is it bad for hair? I'm wondering it. Maybe the radiation?

IBM

Reaction score
For those who suffer from seb. dermatitis it's important to get sun's light and warm. I couldnt leave in a cold country.