Is topical finasteride really as (almost as) effective as oral?

christ111

My Regimen
Reaction score
Due to my family history of cancer im reluctant' to take finasteride (or any other medications) long-term

so I have read about taking finasteride topically and hoping this would be a good alternative

But does anyone have experience using that topically and if so, how were the results for how long have you been taken out?

i am NW2 with slightly noticeable thinning on top

telogen

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Both goes systemic so it doesn't really matter which one you choose. I personally feel that topical gives less sides.

Mustang

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Both goes systemic so it doesn't really matter which one you choose. I personally feel that topical gives less sides.

It's not that simple.

First of all Topical Finasteride avoids first liver pass so it's always going to give you less sides when metabolites are absent.

Secondly, at 0.01% in a Liposomal solution the systemic DHT reduction is close to 10%, that's 5 to 6 times less than oral so while it does go systemic it is far less.

I have found through bloodwork that there is 1 to 1000 ball park figure. 0.01% reduces 10% of systemic DHT, 0.025% reduces 25%, 0.05% reduces 50%, anything higher will reduce the same as oral.

If you need 2ML to cover your scalp then I would use 0.01% and you'll get roughly a 20% reduction of DHT. I would also use it every other day.

Will it be sufficient to halt hair loss? for some yes, for some no.

A healthy way would be adding Saw Palmetto or Dutasteride Mesotherapy once a week to a low dose 0.01% Topical Finasteride protocol and supplementing Pregnenolone and Tongkat Ali to avoid any type of sides.

Adam23

My Regimen
Reaction score
I've taken both. Oral finasteride for 8 months. Topical finasteride/min gel from Keeps for 5 months.

I can say it goes systemic(which you need and want if diffuse thinning). It thickens hair but not as much as oral did for me. It slows hair loss down absolutely. I got good regrowth in frontal region/hairline probably some due to the min in the gel. I get sexual sides very similar to oral as well.

Oral my hair was thicker and so was the donor area.

On both I still lost hair in shower everyday.

I'm now switching back to oral finasteride and minoxodil foam from Keeps. As I believe it will be strongest combination. But I can say their topical is absolutely effective and goes systemic too. Make sure topical finasteride is made by compounding pharmacy and requires prescription. Don't get fake minoxidilmax crushing random tablets stuff. I tried that for two months and lost so much ground. It does nothing.

debyne

Established Member
Reaction score
I was on oral finasteride and topical min for 14 years. I had sides the whole time: brain fog, harder to get erections, anxiety, lack of motivation

I switched to topical 0.025% finasteride, 6% min from Happy Head over two years ago. My sides disappeared and my hair is better than it was on oral. Take that for what it's worth.

supermusic

Established Member
Reaction score
I made a homemade O.O25% topical finasteride,mixed pills of finast in a bottle of Minoxidil 5%, and It works great. Very cheap!

Mustang

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Liposomal Finasteride 0.025% once a day
Liposomal Dutasteride 0.05% once a week
Oral minoxidil 2.5mg-5mg daily
Perfect combo

Cosmiq86

My Regimen
Reaction score
can you get topical finasteride in the UK? I cant find it... anyone got any links?

While topical finasteride isn't widely available in the UK, there are some online options you can explore:
  1. Zava offers finasteride online. Here's the link: Zava - Finasteride
  2. Superdrug Online Doctor also provides finasteride. You can check it out here: Superdrug Online Doctor - Finasteride
  3. ASDA Online Doctor is another option where you might find finasteride. Here's the link: ASDA Online Doctor - Finasteride
Don't give up hope! Keep searching, and with a bit of persistence, you might just find the solution you're looking for.