Is topical finasteride as effective as oral?

Slydegger

My Regimen
Reaction score
I saw a dermatologist about finasteride/duta. He told me he flat-out refuses to prescribe oral finasteride, and said he'll likely put me on topical finasteride. Is there some amount of topical I could put on my scalp that would do me as well as 1mg oral? I only want to put it on once a day in the evening so that I can shower in the morning and avoid bad hair – I switched to oral minoxidil after a couple of weeks for the same reason.

debyne

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm likely that guy. I was on oral for 14 years with minor sides the whole time, but manageable. I switched to topical almost 4 months ago, and my hair is thicker than ever and I have zero sides. Oral finasteride kept my hair and topical min regrew some, but I reached a point of stagnation. Topical finasteride/min broke me through that stagnation. Just my personal experience. There is at least one study that shows 0.025% is as effective as 1mg oral in reducing scalp DHT, but only reducing serum DHT by a fraction and plasma DHT by even way less than that.

My advice? Do it 1000%. If you're only applying once daily, try 0.025% and see how it goes. If it's not effective, up it to 0.05%, and so on.

I apply 0.025% 1mL at night, and about 0.3mL in the morning in the biggest problem areas.

jazz1

Reaction score

Jack Ito

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm likely that guy. I was on oral for 14 years with minor sides the whole time, but manageable. I switched to topical almost 4 months ago, and my hair is thicker than ever and I have zero sides. Oral finasteride kept my hair and topical min regrew some, but I reached a point of stagnation. Topical finasteride/min broke me through that stagnation. Just my personal experience. There is at least one study that shows 0.025% is as effective as 1mg oral in reducing scalp DHT, but only reducing serum DHT by a fraction and plasma DHT by even way less than that.

My advice? Do it 1000%. If you're only applying once daily, try 0.025% and see how it goes. If it's not effective, up it to 0.05%, and so on.

I apply 0.025% 1mL at night, and about 0.3mL in the morning in the biggest problem areas.
Do you use minoxidil with it? Also whats topical like as a liquid solution, is it a similar texture and appliance to shampoo

supermusic

Established Member
Reaction score
if you only had minor sides with oral finasteride, it is normal that now with the topical you do not have them, which does not mean that over time you will not have them as has happened to many topical users

debyne

Established Member
Reaction score
if you only had minor sides with oral finasteride, it is normal that now with the topical you do not have them, which does not mean that over time you will not have them as has happened to many topical users
4.5 months on topical, zero sides still. When will these "sides over time" start to happen so I can keep an eye out for them?

debyne

Established Member
Reaction score
Do you use minoxidil with it? Also whats topical like as a liquid solution, is it a similar texture and appliance to shampoo
Yes. It's a liquid. I just switched from making my own (Proscar and Kirland min) to Happy Head customized 0.025% finasteride and 6% min.

supermusic

Established Member
Reaction score
4.5 months on topical, zero sides still. When will these "sides over time" start to happen so I can keep an eye out for them?
Depending on each person.
by the way, you really haven't stopped oral finasteride. Nor do I see the point in changing the homemade topical that works so well for a much more expensive commercial formula. A bit confusing.

debyne

Established Member
Reaction score
Depending on each person.
by the way, you really haven't stopped oral finasteride. Nor do I see the point in changing the homemade topical that works so well for a much more expensive commercial formula. A bit confusing.
I'm confused...what do you mean by "you really haven't stopped oral finasteride"? I stopped it months ago.

supermusic

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm confused...what do you mean by "you really haven't stopped oral finasteride"? I stopped it months ago.

Posted on 30 march:

1mg ED stops my hairloss but with minor sides. 0.5mg ED causes me to shed but sides disappeared. 1mg EOD is in between those two options. Having said that, I'm not off oral finasteride entirely and on topical finasteride/min...better efficacy than 1mg ED and zero sides.

losingbattle88

My Regimen
Reaction score
If it goes systemically the same as oral, why have all my sides disappeared and I have morning wood every day at age 45?
How many mg u put on scalp daily? U must be putting Little if thats the case. 0.25% 1ml a day showed more systemic dht reduction than 1mg oral in a study.

debyne

Established Member
Reaction score
How many mg u put on scalp daily? U must be putting Little if thats the case. 0.25% 1ml a day showed more systemic dht reduction than 1mg oral in a study.
I have 0.025% solution (not 0.25%) which is 0.25mg per mL. I'm now starting to put 1mL on twice per day, morning and night. Happy Head now customizes your finasteride %, although their default is 0.25%.

supermusic

Established Member
Reaction score
Ah. I meant to say "I'm off oral finasteride entirely". My last dose of 0.25mg oral was on Jan 5th
ok. when you took it orally at 0.25mg still had the same sides?
Why are you going to change to a commercial lotion, if the homemade one has gone away it is also much cheaper and at least you know that you are really applying finasteride???
Thanks for the info

Last edited:

debyne

Established Member
Reaction score
ok. when you took it orally at 0.25mg still had the same sides?
Why are you going to change to a commercial lotion, if the homemade one has gone away it is also much cheaper and at least you know that you are really applying finasteride???
Thanks for the info
My sides mostly went away when I dropped to 0.25mg oral, but I also know my hair would've gotten worse. On 0.5mg ED, I started shedding.

My topical is not a lotion...it's a liquid. I switched because I can afford to. I wanted to have something pure from a legit compound pharmacy. I figure it could only be a better, more effective product, so I wanted to at least try it.

My homemade version worked really well regardless.

Jack Ito

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
My sides mostly went away when I dropped to 0.25mg oral, but I also know my hair would've gotten worse. On 0.5mg ED, I started shedding.

My topical is not a lotion...it's a liquid. I switched because I can afford to. I wanted to have something pure from a legit compound pharmacy. I figure it could only be a better, more effective product, so I wanted to at least try it.

My homemade version worked really well regardless.
Where do you source your topical finasteride from? Are you able to provide a link