Is this why people say they rarely see bald alcoholics?

Gilgamesh

Established Member
Reaction score
55. Flanagan DE, Moore VM, Godsland IF, et al. Alcohol consumption and insulin resistance in young adults. Eur J Clin Invest 2000;30:297–301.

56. Kiechl S, Willeit J, Poewe W, et al. Insulin sensitivity and regular alcohol consumption: large, prospective, cross sectional population study. BMJ 1996;313:1040–4.

Alcohol consumption in the light to moderate range is associated with better insulin sensitivity in healthy, nondiabetic people.

Gilgamesh

Established Member
Reaction score
BACKGROUND: Alcohol may have a cardioprotective effect. One possible mechanism is by reducing insulin resistance, a known cardiovascular risk factor. The aim of this study was to assess the relationship between alcohol consumption, insulin resistance and other parameters determining glucose tolerance in 154 young men and women. SUBJECTS AND METHODS: Subjects completed a questionnaire documenting weekly alcohol consumption. Insulin sensitivity and glucose tolerance were measured using the intravenous glucose tolerance test with minimal model analysis. Height, weight, usual level of exercise, smoking habits and socio-economic status were also recorded. RESULTS: Insulin sensitivity correlated inversely with body mass index (r = - 0.529, P < 0.001) but not with level of physical fitness. Women were significantly less insulin sensitive than men (4.19 and 5.63 104 min-1 pmol-1 L-1, respectively; P < 0.001). Insulin sensitivity correlated positively with alcohol consumption and this trend remained significant allowing for body mass index and gender (beta = 0.17, P < 0.014). First-phase insulin secretion showed a weak but non-significant trend in the opposite direction. Fasting glucose, fasting insulin and glucose tolerance showed no relationships with alcohol consumption. CONCLUSION: These data suggest a close relationship between alcohol consumption and insulin resistance in young adults. Regular alcohol consumption is associated with decreased insulin resistance and this may partly explain the cardioprotective effect of alcohol.

Gilgamesh

Established Member
Reaction score
There's a 10x amount of DHT circulating in visceral fat (this study was disccused yesterday in the 'beer belly connection' thrad)

Visceral fat is caused by insulin resistance

More importantly, premature balding <30 in some study I saw : as well as others: was said to be directly correlated to nsulin resistance

We examined 37 men with premature balding (defined as frontoparietal and vertex hair loss before the age of 30 years with alopecia defined as grade 3 vertex or more on the alopecia classification scale of Hamilton with Norwood modification)

The hormonal pattern of a substantial number of men with premature balding resembles in some respects the hormonal pattern of women with polycystic ovary syndrome.

It all makes sense now. I just had like 20 epiphanies about the links I've been struggling to put together for years.

I bet the drug Metformin is fantastic for male pattern baldness.[/i]

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score

Gilgamesh

Established Member
Reaction score
Bryan, I know you're been around the block for a very long time

Have you ever heard any ancedotal stories of people's hair situation on insulin sensitizing drugs/methods

I found this on alt.baldspot

"Since I have started reduced carb eating in combinatin with
metformin (2500mg/day) I have been able to lose weight, clear my skin, stop
that pesky hair growth on my chin and neck, and my bald spot on my head is
growing back - so, yes, you are right on the mark"

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/alt ... 89f901e0da

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Oh yes, I've seen anecdotal reports on both sides: some people saying they thought their hair improved after eating carefully controlled low-carb, insulin-sensitizing diets, and others saying they saw no results at all from it. I suspect that it's something that helps a little, but it's obviously not a primary CAUSE of balding...

Bryan

chewbaca

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Gilgamesh said:
There's a 10x amount of DHT circulating in visceral fat (this study was disccused yesterday in the 'beer belly connection' thrad)

Visceral fat is caused by insulin resistance

More importantly, premature balding <30 in some study I saw : as well as others: was said to be directly correlated to nsulin resistance

We examined 37 men with premature balding (defined as frontoparietal and vertex hair loss before the age of 30 years with alopecia defined as grade 3 vertex or more on the alopecia classification scale of Hamilton with Norwood modification)

The hormonal pattern of a substantial number of men with premature balding resembles in some respects the hormonal pattern of women with polycystic ovary syndrome.

It all makes sense now. I just had like 20 epiphanies about the links I've been struggling to put together for years.

I bet the drug Metformin is fantastic for male pattern baldness.[/i]

But i am underwight skinny and have male pattern baldness...what does that mean?

Or is it just a mature hair pattern loss?

Cornholio

Established Member
Reaction score
alcohol

http://content.nejm.org/cgi/content/abstract/295/15/793

alcohol reduces testosterone through effects on the liver and hypothalamus as above...

also low fat diets (serious alcoholics drink a lot, eat very little) lowers testosterone.

later, with cirrhosis, androgens are converted to estrogens.
http://jcem.endojournals.org/cgi/conten ... /40/6/1018

Still, alcoholics aren't the most attractive people for other reasons, even with bushy hair (infrequent bathing, divorce, lack of a job, depression)... I think Id rather be bald (I say that now... )

VWdude

Reaction score
This dude will find anything to relate to baldness... don't you know that by now? it's funny because only he can find these websites that backs his information. Type in male pattern baldness in google and check out all the sites it will bring up, then and only then you will be on his level.

Cornholio

Established Member
Reaction score
alcohol

VWdude said:
This dude will find anything to relate to baldness...
Who, ME? :shock: Ok, you're on to me... But if you have google you too can know everything about everything :hairy: and... apparently everything is, in a way, connected to hair health (like 6 degrees of separation).

PS> I like showing links, because it shows Im not pulling things out of the air...

PPS>I dont doubt there is a connection between insulin resistance and alcoholism, but I dont see the connection between insulin resistance and hair loss.

PPS> if you werent talking to me, nevermind, dude : )

PPPS> note to self: get a life.

VWdude

Reaction score
I'll leave the reasearch to you guys, as for me... i'm gonna get laid!