Is This True?

Vinton Harper

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been researching hairpieces and I came upon this, and was wondering if this info is correct. It's from WebMD.

There is no way that a bonded system will stay firmly attached to your head, especially on the hairline, for four to six weeks. You will have to learn to do some of the maintenance yourself for your system to look natural. In fact, to look natural your hair system needs constant attention and maintenance. It does not act like your own hair and cannot just be forgotten about for weeks.

Expect to spend between $60-$300 dollars a month for proper maintenance.

I mean, I know hairpieces require maintenance, but $60 to $300 dollars a month?! :freaked: Maybe some of the more experienced wearers can chime in on this one?

oDD_LotS

Reaction score
If you're doing all of your own maintenance then that's a VERY high number. I would think that price includes a monthly maintenance and bonding session at a hairpiece salon.

Doing it yourself, you won't have more than a few bucks a month in supplies.

MichiganBaldy

Established Member
Reaction score
Its true that they sort of dance around the truth, these hair replacement centers.
They say that they can bond it to your head and it`ll act like your own hair and you`ll just forget about it for 6 weeks.
In a way, thats true.
Sure, they`ll superglue a thick rug to your head that has a plastic strip (poly/gauze) all the way around it (so it can accomodate the superbond) and I tell you from experience folks, you cannot pull it off even in a hockey fight.
You`ll rip my scalp off with it, that dog gone polyfuse they use just wont come off.
But, of course, thers a catch to that. It only works with the big, thick, fake looking/feeling rugs, and not the natural looking ones that you see in the advertisements and magazines.
Those types of "systems" (hairpieces) are more fragile, wont last as long, and cannot be bonded for any longer than a week in most cases.

Myself, I buy my own hairsystem/wigs/rugs/pieces, I buy the most natural looking, feeling, wont come off for the most part bio/laserstranded whatevers, do all the work on it myself, bond for a solid week at a time-forget that its there for the whole week, spend about 1.5 hours a week total work on it, and costs me less than 1200 dollars a year.
Its reversible with no side effects if I chose, and I like it as an alternative to the snake oils, potions, and other non-reversible hype thats out there.

I would not go to a "center" to have it done though, the only way I would do this, is to do it yourself or try something else.

ToupMaster

Established Member
Reaction score
YES, on a FEW heads it will hold up to 6 weeks. Normaly they have DRY skin, don't sweat much and are office types (even had one weird dude [extemly dry scalp] who could go 2 months). The average head may hold for 4 weeks. Those that look GREAT are normaly getting it re-bonded every 2 weeks or so.

If your doing it yourself and saving money... you can redo it every week. I have clients that use a tape system and only remove it every 6-10 days to redo it themselves. Then there are those who re-tape daily.

But... NO you can't bond it, Tape it or attach it and then forget it... YES you have to pay attention to your look and hair, it requires more attention than real growing hair.... it is not getting nourishment from the scalp, it is a non growing non renewing product from somewhere across the world and it needs CARE. A few minutes a day is all it takes for the average client.