Is This Thinning To You? Picture Incuded

Sophie8766

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello everyone
Am 30 year old, had an episode of Telogen Effluvium last year that recovered. I gain back most of my hair density bit not all. Am afraid that my part is thinning. I am not really sure since i didnt keep track and i dont remembre how it looked a year ago ! Is this thining to you?? Please i need an outside eye am very anxious

Attachments

• IMG_8716.JPG
    IMG_8716.JPG
    86.2 KB · Views: 1,041

Nano123

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Your part looks fine to me but there could be thinning if you had the genes for Female pattern hair loss and it picked up when telogen effluvium stopped. Best way to rule out thinning is to see a dermatologist and they have like magnifying lenses to look for miniaturizing follicles, I sincerely hope it's not FPHL for you.

Sophie8766

My Regimen
Reaction score
Your part looks fine to me but there could be thinning if you had the genes for Female pattern hair loss and it picked up when telogen effluvium stopped. Best way to rule out thinning is to see a dermatologist and they have like magnifying lenses to look for miniaturizing follicles, I sincerely hope it's not FPHL for you.

Hello, thank you for taking the time to answer my question. I did see not one but two dermatologists, the two said it could be CTE, the first one looked closely to my scalp even took pictures but he said that we can't be sure, it's probably cte. the second examined only my front and said she couldn't see any signs of Androgenetic Alopecia ! But i don't know why she didn't convince me ! i felt like i know way more than her and she was unable to answer my questions :(
So i think you're right, am afraid it's Androgenetic Alopecia thought i have no one in my family who has blading issues.. and what scares me most is the fact that i think am losing again a lot of hair, not like the first one ( it was an average of 200-300 ), now its more like 50-100 but still too much for me! And there's thinner hairs that are falling that i didn't use to see before.. so am reallly scared and even thinking to ask for a third opinion but not sure if it would help !

Nano123

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello, thank you for taking the time to answer my question. I did see not one but two dermatologists, the two said it could be CTE, the first one looked closely to my scalp even took pictures but he said that we can't be sure, it's probably cte. the second examined only my front and said she couldn't see any signs of Androgenetic Alopecia ! But i don't know why she didn't convince me ! i felt like i know way more than her and she was unable to answer my questions :(
So i think you're right, am afraid it's Androgenetic Alopecia thought i have no one in my family who has blading issues.. and what scares me most is the fact that i think am losing again a lot of hair, not like the first one ( it was an average of 200-300 ), now its more like 50-100 but still too much for me! And there's thinner hairs that are falling that i didn't use to see before.. so am reallly scared and even thinking to ask for a third opinion but not sure if it would help !

I really understand your stress but you should get a scalp biopsy done to determine your situation. I thought I had CTE too until recently my dad's hairline started receding and I noticed so many tiny hairs being shed, but still if you have the option of getting a scalp biopsy go for it

Sophie8766

My Regimen
Reaction score
I really understand your stress but you should get a scalp biopsy done to determine your situation. I thought I had CTE too until recently my dad's hairline started receding and I noticed so many tiny hairs being shed, but still if you have the option of getting a scalp biopsy go for it

Nope, scalp biopsy is not an option for me ! I live in france and they dont do it here..
i know that even if you don't have a family history you are still at risk of having Androgenetic Alopecia, 30% of women with Androgenetic Alopecia don't have a family history and I am completely aware of this..
So it's more like wait and see for me and it's driving me crazy and non one understands. MY friends think am crazy and my boyfriend who was the only one who listened is not in the picture anymore :(

you had a biopsy and it was diagnostic ?

Nano123

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Nope, scalp biopsy is not an option for me ! I live in france and they dont do it here..
i know that even if you don't have a family history you are still at risk of having Androgenetic Alopecia, 30% of women with Androgenetic Alopecia don't have a family history and I am completely aware of this..
So it's more like wait and see for me and it's driving me crazy and non one understands. MY friends think am crazy and my boyfriend who was the only one who listened is not in the picture anymore :(

you had a biopsy and it was diagnostic ?

I too live in a place where we don't have the option for biopsies, but my dad is balding and my mom has slight FPHL, also after 3 years in I noticed I was losing a lot of short thin hairs and also transparent or white fuzzy hairs that I confused for my cats' hair but then I found them on my hand every time I put my hand through my hair, so it's pretty clear I have it though.

For you I guess you could take supplements to aid hair growth and do a ferritin and Vitamin D work up and get them to the optimum levels, but 50-100 shed hairs per day sounds okay really, but do these for extra reassurance. After some time if you find more miniaturized hairs then start seeking options and treat it as FPHL, but I hope it wouldn't be the case for you. Even if that's the case you have a head full of hair and now you're aware of how hair loss works so once you notice something weird you'll start acting to stop it and will keep your hair.

And about your friends I understand as I go through the same thing, I complain about it a lot and they're like wtf you have hair, like they will only admit it or recognize it when they see bald spots or something, but you know your hair is yours and you know it better than anyone, I hope all turns well for you and that it's a temporary thing. :)

Sophie8766

My Regimen
Reaction score
I too live in a place where we don't have the option for biopsies, but my dad is balding and my mom has slight FPHL, also after 3 years in I noticed I was losing a lot of short thin hairs and also transparent or white fuzzy hairs that I confused for my cats' hair but then I found them on my hand every time I put my hand through my hair, so it's pretty clear I have it though.

For you I guess you could take supplements to aid hair growth and do a ferritin and Vitamin D work up and get them to the optimum levels, but 50-100 shed hairs per day sounds okay really, but do these for extra reassurance. After some time if you find more miniaturized hairs then start seeking options and treat it as FPHL, but I hope it wouldn't be the case for you. Even if that's the case you have a head full of hair and now you're aware of how hair loss works so once you notice something weird you'll start acting to stop it and will keep your hair.

And about your friends I understand as I go through the same thing, I complain about it a lot and they're like wtf you have hair, like they will only admit it or recognize it when they see bald spots or something, but you know your hair is yours and you know it better than anyone, I hope all turns well for you and that it's a temporary thing. :)

Thank you for these kind words.

My ferritin level is at 23 so am taking iron and vitamins supplements since one month and a half. I do shed some thin hairs, some are short some are not. I just hope it's from
The iron deficiency and malnutrition ( i did have a crash diet but my first Telogen Effluvium i think was due to getting on bcp, and being iron deficient didn't help i guess ! ).

I saw your recent update, your hair looks really good, you may have fphl but you should know that family history should not make you lean for neither diagnosis! I hope that the new treatment works for you :) best of luck !

Nano123

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thank you for these kind words.

My ferritin level is at 23 so am taking iron and vitamins supplements since one month and a half. I do shed some thin hairs, some are short some are not. I just hope it's from
The iron deficiency and malnutrition ( i did have a crash diet but my first Telogen Effluvium i think was due to getting on bcp, and being iron deficient didn't help i guess ! ).

I saw your recent update, your hair looks really good, you may have fphl but you should know that family history should not make you lean for neither diagnosis! I hope that the new treatment works for you :) best of luck !

I was just looking at my hair in the mirror very frustrated and I saw your comment, thanks a lot :D