Is This A Good Deal At A Salon ? Hair Replacement

Christoppp

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
i went to this Salon to try and have a professional start it and after a year I will try to do it myself and find a styler. The man that did the free consultation had one and I could not even tell unless I touched it. The price was 300 down payment and 210 a month for a total of 2800 a year. It includes 4 systems and 12 services (once a month) for that year. If you want additional services for example every two weeks the extra services only cost 30$ which include removing and cleaning and styling.

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
That breaks down to $610 per system and $30 a month for service. What type of hair system? For a custom hair system, that is probably an average "salon" price. If it is a sock hair system, that is probably double the expected cost.

Depending on the base, I think four systems per year is a bit, extreme. A well-made French lace system should last 4-6 months. Many guys on the forum report getting six months out of a similar hair system. I also question the need to back once a month for an entire year? You should be able to do the maintenance yourself after the first time, maybe the second. Depending on the style you choose, you could go from 2-6 weeks between haircuts. I guess if it includes the haircut, why not.

Verify the type of hair system before you commit. He is potentially making a pretty huge profit off the hair systems themselves. Home maintenance is pretty easy, and a lot of guys, depending on style, etc. do their own haircuts on their bio hair.

I do recommend starting with a salon, for the uninitiated, if you have someone who really knows their stuff, getting a well-made template and the right base, color, density, hairline, etc is worth the extra $$$. Also, being a newbie, and doing your own maintenance from point 0, can be quite frustrating.

deg_dilemma

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I think that's a reasonable price - and as you've said, you want to use a salon for the first year to learn and get used to things. But before you sign up for the year, make sure you're happy with the system that he gets for you and how he cuts/fits it. Then you'll know if you want to be in contract for the year. And yes as BB says, perhaps go for 3 systems because I reckon you'll make each one last 4 months quite easily. That will drop the price a bit.

Personally I think it's great to have a GOOD salon/stylist to help with things like ordering and fitting... and occasional maintenance. Eventually you will want to learn how to maintain the system at home. It's not always easy but it's worth learning.

In the UK I have estimated at paying around £2200 a year for 3 systems annually ... this includes fitting and cutting (£180 each time), and also 4 additional maintenance sessions (£80 each time) that I use for occasional 'top-up' proper refits . And then I will generally do my own refits every 2 or 3 weeks.

Personally I'm OK with paying this amount because it's not ridiculous and I'm happier going to a salon that I can trust to do a good job. I did try the online route but found it too cumbersome, un-coordinated and then difficult to find a good local stylist who could cut the system down to size onto my head etc.

Once you find what you're happy with, stick with it. Sometimes it's not always about the money, but find a balance that you're good with.

yurguardianangel

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I think that's a reasonable price - and as you've said, you want to use a salon for the first year to learn and get used to things. But before you sign up for the year, make sure you're happy with the system that he gets for you and how he cuts/fits it. Then you'll know if you want to be in contract for the year. And yes as BB says, perhaps go for 3 systems because I reckon you'll make each one last 4 months quite easily. That will drop the price a bit.

Personally I think it's great to have a GOOD salon/stylist to help with things like ordering and fitting... and occasional maintenance. Eventually you will want to learn how to maintain the system at home. It's not always easy but it's worth learning.

In the UK I have estimated at paying around £2200 a year for 3 systems annually ... this includes fitting and cutting (£180 each time), and also 4 additional maintenance sessions (£80 each time) that I use for occasional 'top-up' proper refits . And then I will generally do my own refits every 2 or 3 weeks.

Personally I'm OK with paying this amount because it's not ridiculous and I'm happier going to a salon that I can trust to do a good job. I did try the online route but found it too cumbersome, un-coordinated and then difficult to find a good local stylist who could cut the system down to size onto my head etc.

Once you find what you're happy with, stick with it. Sometimes it's not always about the money, but find a balance that you're good with.

Mine is even cheaper than that.

£2000 for 3 systems were custom made to my head mould + hair sample.
Thin skin with lace front, european human hair.
And £45 for re-grooming/re-fitting.
Company: Optima Hair in birmingham,UK.

Although will be re-fitting it at home as got ALOT of migraines lately.
Makes it easier using tape instead of glue for me.

deg_dilemma

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
@yurguardianangel I once had headaches because I attached it too tight. So maybe that could be the same issue with you?

I've always wanted a lace front but I'm not sure how it would look when it joins to the skin part of the base. Do you have any pics of your system we can have a look at?

yurguardianangel

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
@yurguardianangel I once had headaches because I attached it too tight. So maybe that could be the same issue with you?

I've always wanted a lace front but I'm not sure how it would look when it joins to the skin part of the base. Do you have any pics of your system we can have a look at?

Getting migraine headaches even when not wearing the hair system.
It wasn't on too tight the time last.

Going back there on the 26th of feb.

Will show you the underneath when I next re-do the bond after that.

Christoppp

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thank you guys for the replies. I'm going to try the 3 systems per year option instead now which is 2.3 grand instead of 2.8.

matt0135

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah that's a pretty good price for salon if the system quality is good.

I pay about $800 for my system from salon but I've recently switched to purchasing online which is A LOT cheaper.

Although I must say the quality of this online system is not quite as good as my salon one. For example the hair is a little dryer right off the bat compared to my old system .Still looks great though so for the price difference it's worth the minor issue.

I would highly recommend the salon route in the beginning. Take your time, learn, adjust .I'm just about over a year wearing and I still go once a month for service I do the rest on my own .

My only thing is I like the stylist at my salon so I don't care to go anywhere else for cut ins and such .they are also great with hair add in and colouring if required .

I guess my point is the more resources you have around you (online and offline) the greater your success rate will be .

Good luck!

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
I am just about to retire my $795 salon unit, after six months of wear. For me, it's worth the extra money. My first direct from China system lasted about a month before it started to look like crap. It was not worth it, for me... since I need this to look as good as possible.

Christoppp

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah that's a pretty good price for salon if the system quality is good.

I pay about $800 for my system from salon but I've recently switched to purchasing online which is A LOT cheaper.

Although I must say the quality of this online system is not quite as good as my salon one. For example the hair is a little dryer right off the bat compared to my old system .Still looks great though so for the price difference it's worth the minor issue.

I would highly recommend the salon route in the beginning. Take your time, learn, adjust .I'm just about over a year wearing and I still go once a month for service I do the rest on my own .

My only thing is I like the stylist at my salon so I don't care to go anywhere else for cut ins and such .they are also great with hair add in and colouring if required .

I guess my point is the more resources you have around you (online and offline) the greater your success rate will be .

Good luck!
Are you saying that the salon has better quality than than toplace / northwest lace? Because I plan to switch to top lace and diy after a year. Top lace looks really legit with current technology and forums. My salon said they invented this special technology they use but I think it’s bs.

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
NWL has a great reputation, Top Lace, not as much.

If you are going DIY route check out Curtis on My hair experience, he is selling custom units at very decent prices, and is building quite the reputation.

Christoppp

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
NWL has a great reputation, Top Lace, not as much.

If you are going DIY route check out Curtis on My hair experience, he is selling custom units at very decent prices, and is building quite the reputation.
I know exactly who that is he's so awesome. Are his top quality?

matt0135

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Are you saying that the salon has better quality than than toplace / northwest lace? Because I plan to switch to top lace and diy after a year. Top lace looks really legit with current technology and forums. My salon said they invented this special technology they use but I think it’s bs.

Yes probably b.s haha .

I'm not saying salon quality is always better than online quality, that's definitely not the case in most scenarios. My particular salon seems to have good quality pieces, and I should wait until I order a second time online as sometimes a system is off from time to time .

I ordered from northwest lace. It was a good experience overall

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
Matt is correct, salon quality is NOT always better, you need to be very careful who you use. But a salon has more power with the factory than you do when buying directly from Lord Hair, for example, which is basically the factory.

I would not buy from someone who's BEST results look unnatural and terrible. If that is the best that they can show, I would hate to see the other customers who did not appear.

I have a bunch of other folks that I would recommend besides Norwood Lace, but Eric gives very good support and stands behind his product.