Is thinning from Finasteride a good thing???

onelifeonewar

Reaction score
Been on finasteride for a month and a half and I feel as if my hair is slightly thinner than before. Again, this could just be a paranoid observation lol. However, Ive read that it is a good sign for hair to shed/appear thinner as it is a sign that the medication is working? I just need some reassurance on this. Thanks in advance guys

PappinAce

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Indeed, the shedding of hairs on finasteride generally means you're responding to the medication. The weaker hairs are being pushed out and will ideally be replaced by terminal ones once the growth phase starts again. Ride out the shed; it can last anywhere between 3 and 6 months, but then there's nowhere to go but up.

onelifeonewar

Reaction score
Indeed, the shedding of hairs on finasteride generally means you're responding to the medication. The weaker hairs are being pushed out and will ideally be replaced by terminal ones once the growth phase starts again. Ride out the shed; it can last anywhere between 3 and 6 months, but then there's nowhere to go but up.

Thanks. Yeah I'm gonna stick with it!

- - - Updated - - -

I am also using nizoral 1% once every 4-5 days. Could this be the cause as well? And if so, should I discontinue nizoral? My hair is thin/fine naturally so I wouldn't wanna make it worse by using nixoral