Is there some issue with flying and a hair system?

Nostab2

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I just read there could be airport issues with a hair system? Security scanner? What should flying have to do with a hair system? Am I missing something?

JMC

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I can tell you that I just got back from taking about 8 different flights in the last 2 weeks and not a single thing about my hair came up. Could not even fathom what the issue would be. There’s not a single thing that is metal.

hair4meTomorrow

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The issue I had was one lady asked me to take my cap off.. Then got confused.. Then asked for another form of ID (which had the same picture, unfortunately) before giving up and waving me through.

The other issue may be with alcohol or c22 and similar.

Noah

Reaction score
There was some discussion of this when the X-ray scanners first appeared, including from a wearer who worked in an airport and was able to do systematic testing and talk to the security operatives. The conclusion was that the machine does not pick up lace or thinskin systems, but it can sometimes identify the poly rim that some guys use, and it would likely also pick up clips. But even if something is picked up, the security protocols shouldn't cause any issue - the operatives are only required to satisfy themselves that you are not carrying explosives or weaponry, which they should be able to do with a casual glance. The chance of the system being even mentioned are small, and the chance of you being asked to remove it are infinitesimally small. The protocols specify that people are not to be unnecessarily caused embarrassment.

There are of course the usual restrictions on carrying liquids in your hand luggage - so glue, alcohol etc. have to be in bottles not exceeding 100 ml, and the whole lot have to fit into a ziplock bag with a volume not exceeding a litre. No restrictions for check-in luggage. I have noticed that in the last few years most airports have stopped fussing about the ziplock bag (though some, like London Heathrow, still insist on it). Everyone still insists on the 100 ml bottles.

Like JMC, I fly at a lot for work, and have never had an issue.

David1776

My Regimen
Reaction score
I just read there could be airport issues with a hair system? Security scanner? What should flying have to do with a hair system? Am I missing something?
I’m curious about this too! I’m flying in a few weeks I’m concerned about the scan but more concerned about no hair on id picture.

JMC

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I would not worry a single bit about the scan. There are certain things the scanners are looking for of which none are in your hair!

I can tell you that my passport looks a lot different than what I look like now, weight, hair, tan and although I had one person years ago tell me it looked nothing like me, she also let me through without any issue. I may be wrong, but I would think TSA agents are trained to look for certain features that aren’t easily changed.

Honestly, don’t ruin your trip being worried about this. I can tell you with confidence you will not have any issues!

JMC

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Also, the unit I was wearing while traveling had a poly rim.

David1776

My Regimen
Reaction score
I would not worry a single bit about the scan. There are certain things the scanners are looking for of which none are in your hair!

I can tell you that my passport looks a lot different than what I look like now, weight, hair, tan and although I had one person years ago tell me it looked nothing like me, she also let me through without any issue. I may be wrong, but I would think TSA agents are trained to look for certain features that aren’t easily changed.

Honestly, don’t ruin your trip being worried about this. I can tell you with confidence you will not have any issues!
Thanks

yesmush

My Regimen
Reaction score
Have you guys had no issues with taking alcohol?

I will be travelling with Ryanair next year and on their prohibited hand luggage list it’s says flammable substances as we know isopropyl alcohol is highly flammable.

Would be embarrassing if I had to explain myself.

Any trouble with tape either?

I’m travelling light hand luggage only.

Fanjeera

Reaction score
Have you guys had no issues with taking alcohol?

I will be travelling with Ryanair next year and on their prohibited hand luggage list it’s says flammable substances as we know isopropyl alcohol is highly flammable.

Would be embarrassing if I had to explain myself.

Any trouble with tape either?

I’m travelling light hand luggage only.
I'm always afraid of this as well, but they have never asked. Even if you'd had to excplain, that wouldn't be the worst part. They would take it away and you will be without alcohol then.

JMC

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
No problems with alcohol as long as it’s less than 3.4oz. Definitely no problem with tape. I’ve taken both on several plane trips with zero issues. I even had my alcohol bottle labeled with a small sticker that says “alcohol”.