Is there anything that coats ulcers to protect them?

CCS

Reaction score
Pepto Bismul is not OK because it has asprin like stuff in it. Need something that coats the walls, and not just neutralizes acid in the stomach. Artificial mucus would be nice. Any products like that exist?

CCS

Reaction score
thanks. I read about it, but it says it is only for the duodenum. My friend took a lot of motrin for a while and has an ulcer in her stomach, and is getting bad acid reflux too for the first time in her life.

Is it OTC? Would it work for her?

docj077

Reaction score
collegechemistrystudent said:
thanks. I read about it, but it says it is only for the duodenum. My friend took a lot of motrin for a while and has an ulcer in her stomach, and is getting bad acid reflux too for the first time in her life.

It can be for both gastric and duodenal ulcers. If she is getting really bad reflux, then she needs to see a doctor anyway. She might be infected with Helicobacter pylori and there is a urease test that the physician can do and if he or she thinks it's necessary they may want an upper endoscopy done. Dealing with that particular bacterium can require either a triple or quadruple therapy regimen that includes a proton pump inhibitor, one or two antibiotics, and bismuth sulfate. If it isn't a bacteria, then there are other problems to consider like gastrin secreting tumor or other pathologies.

Reflux needs to be dealt with swiftly and completely. It leads to metaplasia of the esophagus (Barrett's Esophagus) and eventually adenocarcinoma of the esophagus if left untreated.

Sucralfate is not OTC as far as I know. You need a prescription for it.

The other option is misoprostol, which will restore the protective nature of the stomach mucosa. It is specifically designed to prevent NSAID induced ulcers. The only problem with this drug is that she must be absolutely sure that she is not pregnant. It is an incredibly powerful abortifactant.

CCS

Reaction score
docj077 said:

It can be for both gastric and duodenal ulcers. If she is getting really bad reflux, then she needs to see a doctor anyway. She might be infected with Helicobacter pylori and there is a urease test that the physician can do and if he or she thinks it's necessary they may want an upper endoscopy done. Dealing with that particular bacterium can require either a triple or quadruple therapy regimen that includes a proton pump inhibitor, one or two antibiotics, and bismuth sulfate. If it isn't a bacteria, then there are other problems to consider like gastrin secreting tumor or other pathologies.

Reflux needs to be dealt with swiftly and completely. It leads to metaplasia of the esophagus (Barrett's Esophagus) and eventually adenocarcinoma of the esophagus if left untreated.

Sucralfate is not OTC as far as I know. You need a prescription for it.

The other option is misoprostol, which will restore the protective nature of the stomach mucosa. It is specifically designed to prevent NSAID induced ulcers. The only problem with this drug is that she must be absolutely sure that she is not pregnant. It is an incredibly powerful abortifactant.

Thanks Docj077! I'll pass this on to her. I wish she had told me about her ulcer before she went to her doctor.

One more question: how true is it that cranberry juice or cranberry sause can kill H. pilori?

CCS

Reaction score
And does Maalox coat the stomach? Her doctor said it does, but I read about it and it seems to just be an anti acid.

docj077

Reaction score
And does Maalox coat the stomach? Her doctor said it does, but I read about it and it seems to just be an anti acid.

Maalox can coat the stomach and offer protection for the period of its use. Also, Cranberry juice does seem to partially decrease helicobacter pylori infection. It's probably mediated through the antioxidants in the juice, as well as, the proanthocyanidins.

However, what you really want is total eradication of the bacteria. You don't want to play the guessing game when it comes to H. pylori infection. It will just keep coming back. That's why it requires the triple or quadruple therapy involving antibiotics, PPIs, etc.

Beware the use of any medications that decrease stomach acid secretions for anything other than the long term. The calcium carbonate in Maalox and other short term antacids can cause an acid rebound effect that can be rather uncomfortable. Again, that's why it's important to get proper long term medical treatment.