Is there any evidence supporting topical spironolactone?

multispeed27

Established Member
Reaction score
I think the question is always to what extent does it work? If we say the poison called Finasteride is 100% then topical spironolactone may be 40%. So it helps but you may need additional treatments to get to the full 100%.

Heinrich

Reaction score
multispeed27 said:
I think the question is always to what extent does it work? If we say the poison called Finasteride is 100% then topical spironolactone may be 40%. So it helps but you may need additional treatments to get to the full 100%.

Well, depends. "40%" might be enough to stop hairloss for a while. At least for some of us. I am a "successful" (means I am maintaining) finasteride user, but I am starting to think whether I should go for topicals instead. Maybe my hairloss is not as agressive as I thought it was, when I started treatment (I even took dutasteride for a while)?

It is just, that everybody is different when it comes to treatments. Trial and Error, that´s the way to go :(

Heinrich

Reaction score
knowingyou said:
My doctors did not recommand topical, because it is lack of evidence that it helps by hairloss. I have tried topical spironolactone cream from Dr Lee for more than 12 months, it did nothing for me, or just reduce the itch a bit from time to time.

Well, I am no expert, but if oral finasteride didn´t help with your hair loss, it sounds logical that topical spironolactone alone won´t help that much either.

But you said that it reduced the itch. Imo this is actually a very good sign, that it did do something!!! Probably just not enough to stop your hair from falling out.

knowingyou

Established Member
Reaction score
Heinrich said:
knowingyou said:
My doctors did not recommand topical, because it is lack of evidence that it helps by hairloss. I have tried topical spironolactone cream from Dr Lee for more than 12 months, it did nothing for me, or just reduce the itch a bit from time to time.

Well, I am no expert, but if oral finasteride didn´t help with your hair loss, it sounds logical that topical spironolactone alone won´t help that much either.

But you said that it reduced the itch. Imo this is actually a very good sign, that it did do something!!! Probably just not enough to stop your hair from falling out.

May be, but as I said it was only from time to time, and not all the time. I have dropped it a few months already, and my scalp does not itch at al even without topical spironolactone l. So as I said before the topical spironolactone from Dr Lee did nothing for me.

Boomer01

Established Member
Reaction score
I recently started spironolactone from minoxidil solutions. It's only been a few weeks but I seem to be shedding less. Not sure if it is the spironolactone or something else, but so far I like it.

adrift98

Reaction score
Boomer01 said:
I recently started spironolactone from minoxidil solutions. It's only been a few weeks but I seem to be shedding less. Not sure if it is the spironolactone or something else, but so far I like it.

Yeah, I got the same stuff from the same place. It stinks, but so far so good. I've only had it for about a week now, so still to early to tell if its helping, and I've never really had an issue with shedding. I plan on sticking with topical spironolactone for about 6 to 8 months. If I see positive results I'll try to make sure I mention that in this thread.

SMart

Reaction score
Do you apply it along the hairline? If its a lotion I guess its sorta thick so cant be applied to the crown if there's much hair still there?

Also if you're using minoxidil on the hairline how long do you leave between minoxidil and the spironolactone also which first? Thanks

Boomer01

Established Member
Reaction score
The spironolactone that I got from minoxidil solutions is a thick cream. It is a little difficult to rub into areas with a lot of hair, but just gently rub until you no longer see the white cream.

I apply a small amount on my temples in the mornings along with 5% minoxidil on my crown. In the evenings I apply the spironolactone on my temples, crown, and other thinning spots, wait around 30 minutes and then apply 15% minoxidil. 30 minutes should be plenty of time to let the spironolactone dry. I wrote the people at minoxidil solutions and they said you can apply either first but just wait until it dries before applying the other.

SMart

Reaction score
Thanks. Is this the same stuff as you get with your minoxodil solution product? http://shop.genhair.com/store/index.php ... ducts_id=8

It says it contains Spironolactone 5%, Caffeine, Retin-A, Menthol and Rosemary oil. Looking at the minoxidil solutions site its hard to tell what else is in their product other than spironolactone and its a lot more expensive that at the link I've put above.

adrift98

Reaction score
I do the spironolactone once a day, usually at night, and 15% minoxidil twice a day. As Boomer pointed out, the spironolactone has a consistency of a cream. I have my hair shaved down to a #1 so rubbing it into the crown and temples isn't really a problem, but I could imagine it being a problem for those with longer hair. What's odd about the cream is that a little dab goes a long way, yet I find that in order to cover every part of my scalp that I want I use about 2 or 3 dabs.

I apply minoxidil in the morning and then again around 7pm, and then I apply the spironolactone around 10pm. I read somewhere that you should wait a few hours between minoxidil and spironolactone. I might have gotten that from Dr. Lee's instructions on using spironolactone or something... can't remember... Anyways, I'm not sure it really matters what comes first or how long one should wait. Its probably a good idea that I wait a few hours after the minoxidil, because the minoxidil that I use tends to still be a little sticky a couple hours later.

imlosinit

Established Member
Reaction score
Just wondering what to expect from topical spironolactone (alone).

I'm a diffuse thinner.

I assume my best chance is to retain a little of what i got.

I have some front temple recession. Is this an area I should put it too or just stick to the top/crown?

rwhairlosstalk

Experienced Member
Reaction score
^^ Don't worry I'm a diffused thinner also (receding also) and I will be purchasing a topical soon, likely topical spironolactone. I will be placing it all over my head. I'm also doing other things. So I'm hoping this works. I need a topical and anything with alcohol I can't use it.

Where does everyone get their topical spironolactone since minoxidil soltions is gone? (people say gen hair may not be reputable so i need the cheapest product that will work).

imlosinit

Established Member
Reaction score
i picked up three containers (looks like shoe polish size) of S5 (oral spironolactone) from this site. Just got it so cant comment on quality just yet.

Boomer01

Established Member
Reaction score
rwhairlosstalk said:
^^ Don't worry I'm a diffused thinner also (receding also) and I will be purchasing a topical soon, likely topical spironolactone. I will be placing it all over my head. I'm also doing other things. So I'm hoping this works. I need a topical and anything with alcohol I can't use it.

Where does everyone get their topical spironolactone since minoxidil soltions is gone? (people say gen hair may not be reputable so i need the cheapest product that will work).
Minoxidil Solutions is still up and running. Dr. Lee's site is the one that shut down.

http://www.minoxidilsolutions.com/products/205/

SMart

Reaction score
Gen hair isn't reputable? Like to hear more on this claim -- their S5 cream is nice and cheap ...

:whistle:

adrift98

Reaction score
SMart said:
Gen hair isn't reputable? Like to hear more on this claim -- their S5 cream is nice and cheap ...

:whistle:

Yeah, GenHair just looks disreputable. The website is just kinda shady looking, but I'm sure its fine.

rwhairlosstalk

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Yeah theres is cheap. Gen hair's that is. It's kinda scary. Anyone else buy theres and had topical spironolactone results?

Min solutions for 3 is $90.00+.

And as a diffused thinner i have to apply ALL over my hair.
And I have long hair.

wherediditgo

Reaction score
Bryan said:
twenty.five said:
I couldn't find a single convincing study in support of its effectiveness.

I guess it's all just BS then. Shame.

Haven't you seen the study done by Italian doctors that I've posted several times in the past? They claimed to find a beneficial effect on male pattern baldness from topical spironolactone.

Bryan, Do you happen to know where you posted it at or the exact name of it?
I would like to be able to print it out so that i can take it to a doctor to get it prescribed. I would prefer to do it that way rather than order it online.

thanks

ugh

Established Member
Reaction score
twenty.five said:
Is there any evidence to support using spironolactone topically? Anything to suggest that it can actually penetrate the scalp and that it can work to reduce testosterone/prevent conversion to DHT or whatever it's supposed to be doing?
There is from the folks selling it.