Is There Any Difference Between The Adhesive On Each Side Of Hair System Tape?

Hair2019

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I was wondering, is there any actual difference between each side of hair system tape? I guess I'm asking, is one side of the tape designed to be attached to the scalp and the other to the system, or are the two sides identical?

I use a roll of 12 yard Supertape right now for the back and sides (I think it's 1 inch wide) and Walker Tape 'no shine' for the front hairline. There is nothing in the instructions for the Supertape as to which way round the tape should go, and it appears be exactly the same on both sides. Whereas the 'no shine' tape says on one side 'this side to scalp'.

I read on the Hair Direct tutorials section that 'The side of the tape that goes towards the base versus towards your scalp varies depending on the brand of tape. Typically, the split backing faces up, meaning the split back is the last side to be removed. For clear instruction, find the item in our Store and read the instructions provided'

I also note that while most advice says the tape should be attached to the hair system first, people like Curtis prefer to attach the tape the scalp first. I've experimented with both ways and found no difference in the strength of the bond, leading me to believe there is in fact no difference between each side of most hair system tape.

cottonReville

My Regimen
Reaction score
I've found this "side to the scalp tape" to be very difficult to use. I couldn't peel the backing off of them without causing the tape to contort. I think I had a bad batch which had partially melted in the mail.