Is there any anthropological scientific explanation why europeans/ caucasians in particular had DHT sensitive hair follicles or no

DominoEffect

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm kinda curious why asians, especially native americans, and blacks somewhat don't go bald like whites do

BurningCoals

My Regimen
Reaction score
The genes are probably just happen to be more prevalant among Europeans than in Africans and Asians. Native Americans were isolated from the outside world for over 10 000 years so I think the genes for male pattern baldness just didn't reach them before they became isolated.

Though I think people really exaggerate how supposedly rare male pattern baldness is among Africans and Asians, I've seen plenty of hair loss among them.

DominoEffect

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The genes are probably just happen to be more prevalant among Europeans than in Africans and Asians. Native Americans were isolated from the outside world for over 10 000 years so I think the genes for male pattern baldness just didn't reach them before they became isolated.

Though I think people really exaggerate how supposedly rare male pattern baldness is among Africans and Asians, I've seen plenty of hair loss among them.
why do you think the hair loss gene even happened. SOme think it started in norway/ ice age so that we would lose hair to get more vitmain D during the ice age.

BurningCoals

My Regimen
Reaction score
why do you think the hair loss gene even happened. SOme think it started in norway/ ice age so that we would lose hair to get more vitmain D during the ice age.
I think it just exists, like hair loss usually happens to a significant extent later in life and in those times by that time most people would have reproduced and passed those genes onwards and so it became inbaked into humans, and it just doesn't create enough problems for humans to be actively selected against I feel. Balding does also exist in some other primates like chimpanzees and stumptailed macaques so it's not unique to humans.

I heard of the vitamin D theory but it doesn't really make sense imo, people especially way back were outside long enough to get more than enough vitamin D so there's no need for something as aestethically unpleasing like baldness to exist. Haven't heard of it starting in Norway sepcifically. I'm from there actually and on some days it looks like everyone has great hair, even old men. But then on other days it looks like everybody are balding badly which makes me grateful for my thinning NW3 lol.

Nebula74

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
what i dont get is macaques go bald too but they are from south asia, i really dont get the evolutionary cause behind it