Is There A Consensus On Prp Treatments?

Is PRP a scam, or a treatment (that doesn't always work)?

• Total voters

HTPossible

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi guys! My question is at the end of this post, everything that comes before it is just me trying to anticipate any questions I might be asked ahead of time.

So, I'm 29 years old, and it's quite possible that I'll need either an FUT or FUE hair surgery at some point, but I'd prefer to avoid it if possible. Right now, I still have a decent amount of hair left, but my hairline has definitely receded around the temples, and the hair I do have left is diffusing/thinning in the front, and it has now gotten to the point where you can notice it in certain angles of light. I started taking rogaine, but I'd like to stay away from Propecia/Finasteride if I could (along with anything that directly messes with the body's endocrine/hormone system), because while the side effects do seem to be rare, the thought of them occurring--and permanently, no less--is frightening enough to me that I'd rather not take the risk, minute though it may be. Some videos (which I tried to link to, but the forum's system won't let me post them) make taking Finasteride look almost like a game of Russian Roulette (in terms of sexual health).

Anyway, in researching alternatives, PRP is popping up. It seems like it might be a great option for me, since diffusing/thinning is the bigger problem at the moment, and that's what PRP treatments are supposed to address. However, I've been reading mixed things on it. It's one thing if it's a treatment that sometimes works and sometimes doesn't, but what I'm trying to determine is if it's a scam or not. So...is it a sometimes-it-works-but-sometimes-it-doesn't treatment, or is it just a scam?

NAVI

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys! My question is at the end of this post, everything that comes before it is just me trying to anticipate any questions I might be asked ahead of time.

So, I'm 29 years old, and it's quite possible that I'll need either an FUT or FUE hair surgery at some point, but I'd prefer to avoid it if possible. Right now, I still have a decent amount of hair left, but my hairline has definitely receded around the temples, and the hair I do have left is diffusing/thinning in the front, and it has now gotten to the point where you can notice it in certain angles of light. I started taking rogaine, but I'd like to stay away from Propecia/Finasteride if I could (along with anything that directly messes with the body's endocrine/hormone system), because while the side effects do seem to be rare, the thought of them occurring--and permanently, no less--is frightening enough to me that I'd rather not take the risk, minute though it may be. Some videos (which I tried to link to, but the forum's system won't let me post them) make taking Finasteride look almost like a game of Russian Roulette (in terms of sexual health).

Anyway, in researching alternatives, PRP is popping up. It seems like it might be a great option for me, since diffusing/thinning is the bigger problem at the moment, and that's what PRP treatments are supposed to address. However, I've been reading mixed things on it. It's one thing if it's a treatment that sometimes works and sometimes doesn't, but what I'm trying to determine is if it's a scam or not. So...is it a sometimes-it-works-but-sometimes-it-doesn't treatment, or is it just a scam?

I was at your stage last year with a good head of hair and slight thinning in crown.Went for prp to fill in crown, ended up with a shock loss in crown and front.Doctor kept on saying it will grow it never did, my chances of keeping remaining hair got over with prp to the point where i now might hair transplant to repair what prp caused.

champpy

Experienced Member
Reaction score
My experience is very similar to Navis. Hair was decent, then had PRP in december of 2015. The next year i saw more loss than ever before. I dont know if it was shock loss, but something def sped up my loss. Wish i had never had PRP done.

Maybe the injections of prp and a-cell can be helpful, but i think the wounding they inflicted with their needling technique caused the damage. I dont know if that parts really necessary

WangMQ

Established Member
Reaction score
This is creepy.

I seriously considered PRP as an alternative treatment before. Knowing that you might screw up is holding me back.

(Especially considering the fact that those who resort to PRP are usually those who have lower Norwood grades and can't afford to lose what they still have)

Mach

Established Member
Reaction score
What's the cost break down? I had 2 nurses then the Dr. Did the injections. From what I gathered you'll need 3 sessions about 1.5 months apart then you could get away with injections every 10 months. It's really less effective than finasteride maybe better than minoxidil? I do prp/acell once a year. I'll continue with this. If you got the money I recommend it.

Just like every treatment it doesn't work for everyone. Please don't quote me but wasn't it dr. Carlos that had a technique to would determine if you'll be a good responder?