Is the Zinc in H&S a bad thing ?

misterium

Reaction score
Hi,

This is my shampoo regimen:

T/Sal then Nizoral on Monday. Nizoral alone on Friday.

Head & Shoulders 2-in-1 on all other days except Wednesday (my day off from shampooing).

My scalp is not irritated or itchy anymore.

Is this shampoo regimen good? I hear things about the zinc in H&S being counterproductive to a hairloss regimen.

misterium

Reaction score
Bump.

Anybody else enjoy this shampoo regimen ?

Any comments on the zinc in H&S being a problem in regards to fighting male pattern baldness ? (I heard it makes the hair shaft smaller)

misterium

Reaction score
Bump.

Nobody else uses this regimen for shampooing?

misterium

Reaction score
Yeah, it's just that simple. :roll:

Jeez man.

Anybody ELSE with a comment more insightful in regards to zinc in H&S?

hairwegoagain

Reaction score
It's fine. Use the Nizoral as directed. The other stuff is simply your preference. Don't overanalyze it.

misterium said:
Yeah, it's just that simple. :roll:

Jeez man.

Anybody ELSE with a comment more insightful in regards to zinc in H&S?

misterium

Reaction score
So I'm overanalyzing things by considering that the zinc in H&S has some negative effects towards hair diameter?

I know I read something about it here once.. I just haven't been able to gather many opinions in regards to it.

Hence, the thread. :?

hairwegoagain

Reaction score
Yes, not raggin' on you, but you're overanalyzing it. It's doubtful that Head and Shoulders is impacting your effort to regrow/maintain.

But, if you have any doubt about it and/or if it makes you feel better, just stop using it and select another.

misterium said:
So I'm overanalyzing things by considering that the zinc in H&S has some negative effects towards hair diameter?

I know I read something about it here once.. I just haven't been able to gather many opinions in regards to it.

Hence, the thread. :?

misterium

Reaction score
Nah I'd rather read something scientific than just opinion.

hairwegoagain

Reaction score
Won't fault you for that...you must be an engineer.

misterium said:
Nah I'd rather read something scientific than just opinion.

misterium

Reaction score
No not an engineer.. an aircraft mechanic but yeah I just want to get some information on this whole "zinc makes the hair shaft diameter decrease" issue.

I'd like to put it to rest once and for all, know the facts, and make my decision on whether or not I will continue to use this stuff.

hairwegoagain

Reaction score
Understand. My cursory search of the topic yielded one article indicating a slight decrease in hair diameter vs. slight increase during use of Nizoral in the same study. Another article, however, demonstrated a mild benefit derived from pyrithione zinc...including a study that demonstrated a small but measurable increase in hair count - moreso than Nizoral in the same study. Those are 2 studies only.

What we don't know is how the parameters fluctuate when NO shampoo is used at all, nor what other, non-tested shampoos would have yielded. So for my dollar, the information is relatively insignificant. Remember, a lot of guys AND gals use Head and Shoulders or similar concoction, without perceived negative effect on their hair. There's no guarantee that switching to another shampoo, anti-dandruff or not, will result in bettering of the above two factors. I doubt the increase or decrease, no matter the decimal places on paper, will result in a cosmetically noticeable change.

misterium said:
No not an engineer.. an aircraft mechanic but yeah I just want to get some information on this whole "zinc makes the hair shaft diameter decrease" issue.

I'd like to put it to rest once and for all, know the facts, and make my decision on whether or not I will continue to use this stuff.

misterium

Reaction score
Interesting take on the studies. Thank you for your response. :)

I also feel that it would be insignifcant now, based on the sense you made in your reply.

I personally like Head & Shoulders, mainly because of the anti-inflammatory properties that help keep my itch away. (I don't have dandruff so I don't care about that aspect).

I simply like H&S 2-in-1 because 1) It takes away my itch & 2) I don't have to use a seperate conditioner.

The formula with aloe in it is the best imo... also the 'dry scalp' formula is great. I use both in rotation.

Today I used T/Gel though, left it on for 5 minutes.. conditioned afterwards. Then I sprayed some Folligen on my scalp.. I haven't used those 2 items in awhile, so I just wanted to mix things up.

JayB

Experienced Member
Reaction score
misterium said:
Interesting take on the studies. Thank you for your response. :)

I also feel that it would be insignifcant now, based on the sense you made in your reply.

I personally like Head & Shoulders, mainly because of the anti-inflammatory properties that help keep my itch away. (I don't have dandruff so I don't care about that aspect).

I simply like H&S 2-in-1 because 1) It takes away my itch & 2) I don't have to use a seperate conditioner.

The formula with aloe in it is the best imo... also the 'dry scalp' formula is great. I use both in rotation.

Today I used T/Gel though, left it on for 5 minutes.. conditioned afterwards. Then I sprayed some Folligen on my scalp.. I haven't used those 2 items in awhile, so I just wanted to mix things up.
youre like obsessive dude..youre only posting this to like splurge and get it all out for some reason. Do you want a pat on the back or something?

Im not trying to be a dick , but youre like 28 years old and you sound almost like your 13. Head and shoulders is perfect for people who have dandruff. If they havent experienced a decrease in shaft diameter, neither will you. ANd if you do, its because of male pattern baldness and has absolutely nothing to do with H&S shampoo.

On the other hand, I have read that shampoos with pytheon zinc might limit the effectiveness of minoxidil. The minoxidil still works, but it doesnt work as well. Thats the only thing I have heard negatively used in regards to products containing Pzinc.

misterium

Reaction score
"youre like obsessive dude..youre only posting this to like splurge and get it all out for some reason. Do you want a pat on the back or something? Im not trying to be a dick , but youre like 28 years old and you sound almost like your 13. "

.. I have nothing to say about all this. None of that means anything to me.

Thanks for the comments on the scientific stuff though.

westcovinajoe

Established Member
Reaction score
How about if the Zinc is a concern we not use it???

Do you have excessive dandruff? If not stop using Head and Shoulders.

Buy something like Pantene or Vive.

Joe.

misterium

Reaction score
I use the H&S because it helps with the itching.. I use the 'Sensitive Care' 2-in-1 with Aloe, and sometimes the 'Refresh' formula because it has a menthol tingle and helps keep the itch down.

Other days, I use Nizoral and T/Sal.. .

I don't have any 'off day' shampoo, in other words, H&S is my 'off day' shampoo but it's still 'medicated'.