is the efficacy of minoxidil linked to its systemic absorption?

michel sapin

My Regimen
Reaction score
does this study means that even with huge dosage of topical you do'nt get systemic absoprtion over 4 ng/ml? unlike oral minoxidil 2.5 mg for exemple which goes up to 28ng/ml.

so does that mean the efficacy is linked to the systemic absorption and that every dosage of oral is stronger than huge dosage of topical? thanks

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/2702797/

Moz5x

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

From reading only the abstract, that study doesn’t mention anything about efficacy.

Efficacy of minoxidil is dependent on the presence and amount of the enzyme (SULT1A1) that converts it to the active form. Many people do not have enough of this enzyme present in their scalp/hair follicles which explains why a large percentage of topical min users don’t respond much despite increasing dosage and frequency. Tretinoin can help in this case.

If any topical min were to go systemic, perhaps some percentage of it would get converted to the active form in the liver. But based on that study, it would not be worth it to apply frequent, huge topical doses just in the hopes of getting a little systemic absorption. Perhaps much more would go systemic if you wounded the scalp with microneedling immediately before applying but then I’d argue you might as well just take it orally at that point.

Lumalux

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Efficacy of minoxidil is dependent on the presence and amount of the enzyme (SULT1A1) that converts it to the active form. Many people do not have enough of this enzyme present in their scalp/hair follicles which explains why a large percentage of topical min users don’t respond much despite increasing dosage and frequency. Tretinoin can help in this case.
How does oral MSM compare to tretinoin in converting SULT1A1?

michel sapin

My Regimen
Reaction score
From reading only the abstract, that study doesn’t mention anything about efficacy.

If any topical min were to go systemic, perhaps some percentage of it would get converted to the active form in the liver. But based on that study, it would not be worth it to apply frequent, huge topical doses just in the hopes of getting a little systemic absorption. Perhaps much more would go systemic if you wounded the scalp with microneedling immediately before applying but then I’d argue you might as well just take it orally at that point.
thanks bro, so in the full study( with sci hub) they show that 1 ml topical 3% 8 times a days reach a systemic absorption of 2 ng/ml. And we know that even tiny dosage of oral reach greater level like 28 ng for 2.5. So even applying massive dosage of topical is pointless?