Is Telogen Effluvium = BS?

Tombolino

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been on Propecia for 2 years and had managed to keep thick curly hair going except for some not too terrible frontal receding. I started taking Propecia way way before I started to seriously loose hair. I started right when I saw some frontal hair loss but very minimal. Im the only one that noticed. I started the Propecia as a preventive measure. Up until July of 2005 , like I said I managed to keep most of my great thick curly hair.

Then in the August 2005 a combination of stressful things apparently either coincided with or trigerred a rapid and ongoing shedding and thinning of all my hair. Went from thick to thin in 6 months. I still have hair, but seem to loose every day more and more. He ran his hand trhough my hair said the amount coming out was abnormal and too random (all over)

Went to my derm doctor whom i have seen for 2 years. Said I have Tellogen Effluvium. Recommended start minoxidil 5% (started in December) and stay with Propecia. Went to my family doctor and he thinks its also Telogen Effluvium, thinks its weird I woudl suddenly have a massive hair loss. Did all kinds of blood work including Thyroid but none of the test showed any systemic abnormalities.

The shedding has definitely slowed down even before th minoxidil. Hair has becoming less and less maneageble.

Are my doctors juts guessing, or telling me white lies so I dont stress more?

Does Telogen Effluvium inlcude sudden thinning of all hair?

kosmo

Established Member
Reaction score
Telogen Effluvium is legit, it does happen. but it usually only happens when someone is under SEVERE stress, not just day to day pressure. hairloss resulting from Telogen Effluvium happens all over the scalp (front, back, sides) not just the typical male pattern baldness areas. if it is Telogen Effluvium, it will grow back in a few months. minoxidil may help to speed up the process.

Tombolino

Established Member
Reaction score
Hair loss ignition did begin taking place during an emotional period of high stress

My hair loss, has been all over: front line, middle and crown, even some in eyebrows

Sides and back definitely not as much or in same level as on top.

Its been 9 months since it started. Hard to imagine a sudden reversal and re-thickening? Is that what happens when Telogen Effluvium ends? Sudden regrowth, sudden rethickening?

JayB

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Tombolino said:
Hair loss ignition did begin taking place during an emotional period of high stress

My hair loss, has been all over: front line, middle and crown, even some in eyebrows

Sides and back definitely not as much or in same level as on top.

Its been 9 months since it started. Hard to imagine a sudden reversal and re-thickening? Is that what happens when Telogen Effluvium ends? Sudden regrowth, sudden rethickening?
No. Telogen Effluvium is nearly impossible to judge in regards to when hair grows back or how quick or to what capacity.

jumpedthegun

Established Member
Reaction score
doesn't minoxidil cause shedding? you might not want trigger another shed if you are trying to get over Telogen Effluvium.